Coyote engines hard on oil?

dreamvillian_9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hello all, are the Coyote engines hard on oil? I know the ecoboost are due to the turbos and very high temps they reach also mixed with the fact that they are TGDI so they get a lot of fuel dilution, but the coyotes being both direct and port injection and NA shouldn’t be as hard on oil correct? I know a lot of our cars see 7500 RPMs but for a daily driver that probably isn’t often. I want to do an oil analysis at my next change. Usually do 5k mile OCI.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think Ecoboost are any harder on oil than any other car. get a good oil, and change at recommended oil interval. it'll be fine. I say this because I had an analysis done at like 12 or 15k I forget, and the oil was perfectly fine (amsoil signature)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
This is my third coyote engine. None have used any oil.

I think the oil burners were broke in easy.

OP
OP
dreamvillian_9

dreamvillian_9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I dont think Ecoboost are any harder on oil than any other car. get a good oil, and change at recommended oil interval. it'll be fine. I say this because I had an analysis done at like 12 or 15k I forget, and the oil was perfectly fine (amsoil signature)
How long do you go on changes with the Amsoil SS?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It was a test to see if the oil was severely degraded bc it claims 25k intervals. It was 12 or 15k and was still healthy.

In my daily car (2012 Scion tC) I did 10k intervals w factory Toyota oil, at 100k I did my own changes 15k ever since, just hit 180k

I only did 10k intervals w dealer oil bc I had a 100k extended warranty that I paid 600 for lol. So I did cheap 40 dollar changes at dealer til was up.

But it isn’t a mustang, however thst mustang I had full bolt ons and ford perf tune on. But it was a summer daily, highway primarily, with WoT’s here and there

Oil is rated 25k but filters are only rated 15k so I do oil changes at 15k now. I trust the fluid fully though, bc if it can handle the miles and still be healthy on my tuned ecoboost, I believe it would be fine for 25k in Scion.

Problem tho is filter gotta change it and if you change it, already there might as well put new oil in

I’m a dummy tho. But hey we got ecoboost guys pulling plugs and oil every 3k lol

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
My EB is my daily and gets the oil changed per the indicator in the dash.
Had the oil analysized at about 83k on the engine (don't know miles on that particular change) and it was still good with the only significant contamination being coolant byproducts. But that's a different story entirely.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
The driver determines how hard the engine is on oil. Beat on it, change oil more often.
Yep, I only made it 2 track days in between my last oil change.
My 2020 GT Coyote has had 5 oil changes and has less than 6,000 miles on it.
I don’t let the computer yell at me much on changing oil. If/once an oil warning pops up it’s changed.

Sponsored

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
The driver determines how hard the engine is on oil. Beat on it, change oil more often.
Even more so if you do a lot of short trips and cold weather starts.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
The newer oil certification testing measures timing chain elongation due to pin wear caused by soot in the oil. The stuff that turns the oil black. Oil that passes the test protects better, but soot molecules are too small to get filtered out so the only way to get rid of it is to change oil.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I think the oil burners were broke in easy.
I somewhat agree with this. I think folks who buy a new car and drive it around the block 3 times and then dump out the break in oil and replace it with full synthetic oil are doing more harm than good. When synthetic oils first came out we were told to never use them in a brand new engine, they were too slippery to let the rings break in properly. I'm sure things have changed since then but I waited 5000 miles before putting synthetic in and I have no oil usage at all.