Sponsored

Couple of small issues, how many others have these....

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
As far as the heat in the trunk.... there is no heat shielding that we could see to stop that. Dealer doesn’t have another Shelby on-site to see if it has any heat shielding or not.
There is no heat shielding around the trunk (inside or outside) on the GT500 or the GT350. They get really hot inside.
Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I know most will say I'm wrong, but the fuel gauge is 20% off on purpose, this is the safety net to truly not run dry. And if you take what I say and calculate it 20% of 16Gal is 3.2Gal. which would correct your values. Think about it once you hit 0 you cant still drive. I had a navigator which once it hit 0 to E I got another 22 miles before the car shut off.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AD: That brings a question to mind...don't you run the risk of fouling an injector by running one of these current vehicles dry or is that just incorrect old school logic?
I would hope that fuel filters are better now and keep any junk in the tanks from getting to the injectors. The fuel tanks also have a non-replacebable filter at the pump themselves.
However, running tanks low does risk overheating the fuel pumps as they are cooled by being submersed in the fuel.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been out too long, Don, I should have thought of the cooling, too and roger on better filters. I won't be testing the theory any time soon...hopefully.
Just like transfer pumps in jets! Turn them off when the tank is empty.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
AD: That brings a question to mind...don't you run the risk of fouling an injector by running one of these current vehicles dry or is that just incorrect old school logic?
KB you are correct, you would which is why the 20% limit was an industry standard years ago. I read that many many years ago (25yrs to be exact) and the reasoning was exactly for that. No matter how "clean" people think gas is its not, if it was that good we wouldn't need fuel filters in the tank to filter impurities.

I would hope that fuel filters are better now and keep any junk in the tanks from getting to the injectors. The fuel tanks also have a non-replacebable filter at the pump themselves.
However, running tanks low does risk overheating the fuel pumps as they are cooled by being submersed in the fuel.
No matter how good a fuel filter is the fuel still isnt as clean as you think as i said the KB if it was then you wouldn't need fuel filters. You are also correct you risk overheating and also these filter when fuel is low and also suck in that filter and tear it eventually, (If its anything like my vette and navigator which it looks like a sock) which then exposes your engine to other issues.

But as some were saying they get 11.8 gallons when filling up, if you add the 3.2 I mentioned you are now at 15Gal. 1 shy of 16.

The only way your going to know exactly for sure how much the tank holds is to drain the tank completely, and then fill it. This running it really low is BS, everyones idea of low is different, my idea of low is driving it til it shuts off and then tow it to the gas station..

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Not surprisingly, in eight months, I haven't paid attention to filling capacity, next time, I will. Thing is, I like to keep fresh fuel in my two girls and I don't drive either of them enough to just fill 'em up. But I'll do it for the Gipper. :-)

OP
OP
wilkinda65

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
KB you are correct, you would which is why the 20% limit was an industry standard years ago. I read that many many years ago (25yrs to be exact) and the reasoning was exactly for that. No matter how "clean" people think gas is its not, if it was that good we wouldn't need fuel filters in the tank to filter impurities.

No matter how good a fuel filter is the fuel still isnt as clean as you think as i said the KB if it was then you wouldn't need fuel filters. You are also correct you risk overheating and also these filter when fuel is low and also suck in that filter and tear it eventually, (If its anything like my vette and navigator which it looks like a sock) which then exposes your engine to other issues.

But as some were saying they get 11.8 gallons when filling up, if you add the 3.2 I mentioned you are now at 15Gal. 1 shy of 16.

The only way your going to know exactly for sure how much the tank holds is to drain the tank completely, and then fill it. This running it really low is BS, everyones idea of low is different, my idea of low is driving it til it shuts off and then tow it to the gas station..
That’s not my idea of low. I’m not gonna risk running a $83k car to damage.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
And I agree, which is why my suggestion is drain the tank and then fill it to know the true capacity. Driving it till it shuts off was the example of what low really is, not that you should do it.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I agree, which is why my suggestion is drain the tank and then fill it to know the true capacity. Driving it till it shuts off was the example of what low really is, not that you should do it.
Back in the day, we used to run a car out of gas to see how accurate the gauge was. Carried a can of gas to fill it up when it ran out. Wouldn’t recommend that nowadays. But gauges used to be notoriously inaccurate.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife’s new vehicle does not have a replaceable fuel filter.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I cannot imagine running this car out of gas is going to damage the car. Fairly certain the engineers at Ford realize people as a whole are dumb and run cars dry all of the time.
Am I going to run mine dry to see, I hope not but I do like to know the limits of how far I can actually drive. The other day the wife’s A7 made it 9 miles after zero to empty. When I pulled up to the fuel pump, the car yelled at me fill up now, tank empty.
Now I know zero miles to empty means 9 miles. Lol.
I would like to know the cause of why the car is only taking on roughly 11 gallons.

OP
OP
wilkinda65

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I cannot imagine running this car out of gas is going to damage the car. Fairly certain the engineers at Ford realize people as a whole are dumb and run cars dry all of the time.
Am I going to run mine dry to see, I hope not but I do like to know the limits of how far I can actually drive. The other day the wife’s A7 made it 9 miles after zero to empty. When I pulled up to the fuel pump, the car yelled at me fill up now, tank empty.
Now I know zero miles to empty means 9 miles. Lol.
I would like to know the cause of why the car is only taking on roughly 11 gallons.
I ran mine down to a needle width above empty. The gas station was less than 2 more miles from my house. I was able to put 12.1 gallons in it. That’s when I decided to take it to dealer

Last edited:

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
I ran mine down to a needle width above empty. The gas station was less than 2 more miles from my house. I was able to put 12.1 gallons in it. That’s when I decided to take it to dealer
Not to derail your thread but I saw your signature; by FieldCore do you mean GE FieldCore?
Sponsored