Sponsored

Couple of small issues, how many others have these....

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I absolutely love this car and I am having a blast driving it. I have noticed a few issues.....

I have noticed that the car can only take 11.5 to 12 gallons of gas. I have run the car down to almost nothing left in the tank....per the mileage calculator. This car is supposed to have a 16 gallon tank correct? Anyone else noticed this? The Shelby doesn't have a smaller tank does it?

I have noticed that whatever I put in the trunk.... for instance the gym bags from my trip.... get very hot if the trip is an hour or so. I went to St. Augustine to see my sister from Tampa. As we took the bags out of the trunk we noted how hot the trunk area was and the belongings in it. Anyone else noticed this?

I know others have had this issue.... the drivers door panel has ticking/vibration in it. It vibrates badly at lower RPMS around 1800 to 2000.

I have an appointment for it next week. Just curious if anyone else has noticed these same issues.
Sponsored

Snakebite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Thanks for sharing your observations. I placed them on my awareness radar.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The gas tank issue is because you're trying to pump at max output. Use the second click on the little stopper so it fills a bit slower. These cars have two saddle tanks with a leveling pump and it can only transfer so fast.

OP
OP
wilkinda65

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
The gas tank issue is because you're trying to pump at max output. Use the second click on the little stopper so it fills a bit slower. These cars have two saddle tanks with a leveling pump and it can only transfer so fast.
No, I'm not actually. I had already thought about that so I decided to not use the clicks at all. As I get close to 10 gallons I slowed it down a lot and baby fed the last of the fuel in the past 3 fill-ups. I have 1659 miles on the car now. I have never gotten more than 12 gallons of fuel in it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No, I'm not actually. I had already thought about that so I decided to not use the clicks at all. As I get close to 10 gallons I slowed it down a lot and baby fed the last of the fuel in the past 3 fill-ups. I have 1659 miles on the car now. I have never gotten more than 12 gallons of fuel in it.
Hmmm, interesting. Well, maybe your tank has a pressure issue or there's something else going on, or the 500 really has a smaller tank on one side. Hopefully someone else can chime in

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
These cars have two saddle tanks with a leveling pump and it can only transfer so fast.
Interesting, Ryan and yet another factoid I didn't know, thanks.

I wonder if the intermittent relay clicking sound we all hear when the car is just sitting, powered off, is that leveling pump?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I agree on the drivers door.

Let's not forget about all the paint, fit/finish defects.....

Finch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500(July 8 birthday), 2021 Ranger Tremor
I absolutely love this car and I am having a blast driving it. I have noticed a few issues.....

I have noticed that the car can only take 11.5 to 12 gallons of gas. I have run the car down to almost nothing left in the tank....per the mileage calculator. This car is supposed to have a 16 gallon tank correct? Anyone else noticed this? The Shelby doesn't have a smaller tank does it?

I have noticed that whatever I put in the trunk.... for instance the gym bags from my trip.... get very hot if the trip is an hour or so. I went to St. Augustine to see my sister from Tampa. As we took the bags out of the trunk we noted how hot the trunk area was and the belongings in it. Anyone else noticed this?

I know others have had this issue.... the drivers door panel has ticking/vibration in it. It vibrates badly at lower RPMS around 1800 to 2000.

I have an appointment for it next week. Just curious if anyone else has noticed these same issues.
I believe it’s only a 14 gallon tank.

Shelby2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Whipple 2.9L, 2018 GT350, 2020 GT500 L0240
16 gallons per the owners manual supplement.

8D325741-6A99-42C3-9F1C-9BD89485885D.jpeg

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Does the gauge read full or a bit shy of totally full?

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I’ve put over 12 gallons in a few times. But the gauge is below 1/4 when I did. Must be keeping us safe from running out.
The right fuel pump only runs when the power is on. The “saddle” allows cross flow while filling.
The trunk is blazing HOT during track events. I open the trunk to cool down between runs. Those hot exhaust pipes nearly surround the spare tire well. And the mufflers are right under the left and right floor of the trunk.

OP
OP
wilkinda65

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
reads full every time I fill it
Wonder if the two issues are related. Whatever is stopping the filling process is also telling the gauge that the car is full. So, it seems to be something more than an obstruction or a separator issue.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Since we're talking about vibration, I have the same thing but in my passenger door. The air vent on the top of the door panel by the window on the passenger's door. It rattles/vibrates, especially in track mode, above like 78mph and in certain rpm ranges like 3k-5k

Getting it looked at during my first oil change on the 23rd

OP
OP
wilkinda65

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Another thing I found that I forgot to mention... when you have the door panel off. Flip it over and inspect all those heat staked melted plastic rivets. I found a few around the armrest area (where your elbow would rest) that rattled when I tapped the panel. Both door panels had this problem. There was not enough compression between the parts when they melted them over leaving a gap. So, I injected some hot melt under the rivet head to fill the gap and make it solid. I also added some hot melt to the plastic tabs which fasten the arm rest pad to the door. They seemed like a source of noise as well.
door panel.jpg
I just came back from my Ford dealer. The info I quoted above is exactly what was found on my car that was causing the ticking noise in the drivers door panel. New door panel was ordered and the dealer will inspect it upon arrival.

I brought the car in almost empty as requested per the fuel indicator/miles to empty. Dealer weighed the car. Dealer took it to Exxon/Mobile station down the street and filled the car. Only was able to get 11.8 gallons in the car. Brought it back and reweighed the car. They verified the added weight was close to 12 gallons of fuel. The reprogrammed the instrument cluster.

As far as the heat in the trunk.... there is no heat shielding that we could see to stop that. Dealer doesn’t have another Shelby on-site to see if it has any heat shielding or not.

that’s the update!!
Sponsored