Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Hope it goes well, Kristian.

I believe Ford Hungerford are a family run business, so you should be looked after. I understand the owner drives an '18MY.

Good luck, and keep us posted :)
Sponsored

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=16001]avocet[/MENTION] the MT-82 on the S550.2 uses some aluminium shift forks (Which are currently breaking on the regular). MY82 on the 550.1 uses steel I believe. (Loads of US guys mentioning this on various FB groups).

For ref; MT-82 notchy here as well, added quirk of the car.
I know some have been snapping off shifting at high revs.
Going by what ive seen they've really been abusing them lol

GuyW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
It's a truly awful box!

I've not changed the fluids yet but I do have a Barton Hybrid 3 fitted. It's better (a lot!) but still quite a way to go.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair it’s a perfectly ok gearbox... for a transit. It’s a pile of poo for a mustang and it doesn’t help having huge amounts of back lash in the drive line. On the upside if it’s strong enough for a transit, it will work ok in a car.

Sounds like the best option for a keeper is a tremec swap for a magnum xl or a tr3061 plus accompanying prop shaft. Both of which are unobtainable over here so will hit you on shipping and duty.
A used gt350 box will set you back approx £2k plus install plus new prop shaft. No guarantees it’s not been abused and overheated sadly. Maybe best bought from a scrapped road car rather than a racer upgrading to a later gt350 box with the cooler as the box could be toasted.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I had the tremec TR6060 in my TVR, it was unbelievable... the shift was like throwing a rifle bolt, short and dead precise:thumbsup::eyebulge::eyebulge:

In fact whenever a mate drove the car for the first time, the first comment they made after oh shit (450bhp and 1100kg):lol::lol: was about how good the gearbox was:cool:

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

The manual in the Mustang is a mix, its great but also shite at the same time. :(

On mine I did and tried the following:
1. BG Syncro oil in both gearbox and diff, it did help shifts and made it a touch quieter.
2. Steeda transmission bracket, this really made getting 2-3 easier especially if mid corner.
3. Steeda transmission bushing insert, bloody aweful, the whole car vibrated and resonated, but some people actually like it for that reason, makes it more race car supposedly.
4. Steeda differential bushings, I used softer red but they made changing gear unpleasant as when combined with great CB005 from BMR it made the whole transmission clunky, so do avoid those.

Unfortunately its no Porsche or Honda manual which tend to be precise and buttery. In fact the manual in the Mondeo Ford gave me as a loan car was better.

In my S2000 and 911, rowing gears was a pleasure, nice clutch weighting, buttering smooth rifle bolt precise shifts and the gearbox was happy to be rushed.

The Mustang was precise, but notchy, backlash was never nice but mine was not so bad. It's just a character of the car to be honest.

Anyone who is willing and can afford throwing in the GT 350 Tremec would probably give quite a nice improvement.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Just spotted that Quaife offer the 69g with a coyote package and mustang friendly overdrive on 6th and helical gears. That means sequential shifting, race proven tech for the road. The ÂŁ10k price is a bit of a stumbling block sadly!

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's a truly awful box!

I've not changed the fluids yet but I do have a Barton Hybrid 3 fitted. It's better (a lot!) but still quite a way to go.
That's good to hear, I've got one on its way :D

PaulSlide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue GT
Hi there

The manual in the Mustang is a mix, its great but also shite at the same time. :(

On mine I did and tried the following:
1. BG Syncro oil in both gearbox and diff, it did help shifts and made it a touch quieter.
2. Steeda transmission bracket, this really made getting 2-3 easier especially if mid corner.
3. Steeda transmission bushing insert, bloody aweful, the whole car vibrated and resonated, but some people actually like it for that reason, makes it more race car supposedly.
4. Steeda differential bushings, I used softer red but they made changing gear unpleasant as when combined with great CB005 from BMR it made the whole transmission clunky, so do avoid those.

Unfortunately its no Porsche or Honda manual which tend to be precise and buttery. In fact the manual in the Mondeo Ford gave me as a loan car was better.

In my S2000 and 911, rowing gears was a pleasure, nice clutch weighting, buttering smooth rifle bolt precise shifts and the gearbox was happy to be rushed.

The Mustang was precise, but notchy, backlash was never nice but mine was not so bad. It's just a character of the car to be honest.

Anyone who is willing and can afford throwing in the GT 350 Tremec would probably give quite a nice improvement.
Out of interest, have you driven a manual MY18? I've come straight to it from a GT86 so was prepared for a less direct experience, shall we say, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the feel of it.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of interest, have you driven a manual MY18? I've come straight to it from a GT86 so was prepared for a less direct experience, shall we say, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the feel of it.
I am afraid not, but it should be a big improvement due to the twin disc clutch, which should make the clutch weighting and engagement better.

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
My mates Cayman S has got one of the worst gearchanges of any car I’ve driven..Truly aweful:shrug:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My mates Cayman S has got one of the worst gearchanges of any car I’ve driven..Truly aweful:shrug:
Must be something wrong with that, my 911 had lovely clutch and gear box, was a lot better than the one in Mustang.

But nothing manual wise ever rivalled my S2000, that was a true rifle bolt with zero notchiness but felt super tight and precise. Impressive considering you were rowing the gears at 9000rpm. :D

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Best box I’ve ever driven was the ZF S5 18/3 dog leg box. It was light, could handle big power for the time, and had a very slick shift action. Dog leg first was great too. Never understood why more manufacturers didn’t adopt a dog leg shift pattern.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
My box is really smooth and slick, but sharp when it needs to be.

Oh, it's an auto ;)

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Shadow Edition Triple Yellow
I ca't say I've noticed any problems with the gear change at all
Sponsored