Sponsored

Could the 2018/19 S550 5.0 “rattle” be....

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
IMRC has been my thought for sometime.
The rattle is throttle induced.
From my experience it isn’t in the driveline.
Based on where the noise sound manifests itself it up higher on the firewall...where the IMRC would be. Maybe the rattle is just that the IMRC trying to find a good home for itself based on throttle input
Sponsored

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I will gladly unhook my imrc to see if it has any effect as long as I know it won't cause problems. I'm sure it would kick a cel, but anything else?

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My 16 has the rattle really bad. I first started noticing it after around 500 miles on it. Starts at 2200 -3000rpm range, and does it on acceleration and deceleration, but worst on deceleration. I remember back in 16 coming onto this forums and searching for noisy lifters thinking the rattle was upper end noise. My rattle goes away 90% when warm and hardly notice it. When the 18 first got the rattles and had cylinder scoring I scoped my cylinders and found nothing wrong. All Blackstone labs oil analysis comes back perfect, well below averages.Compression good at 230 psi or more per cylinders. I do not have the tick. When cold on a rack the noise seems to come from the bellhousing/backing plate area, like by the plug in the backing plate on driver side was really loud there. I put a MGW shifter thinking that might help, seemed to get louder. BG fluid seemed to make it louder also. I went all in with a RXT, flywheel and calimer stg1 transmission from VMP hoping to end the rattle (also have a stg 2 Whipple in my garage for 3 months so getting it ready for that). Well my new transmission doesn't hold second gear at all, so I only put 15 miles on it and then had to put the old transmission back in, so I didn't have enough of a chance to listen for the rattle trying to get second to work. With the new clutch and flywheel and old transmission the rattle is the same. Also for the IMRC, it rattled with the original intake manifold and the gt350 which I currently have and with stock tune,pp3 tune and Lund tune as well. Im really started to thinks its the engine or maybe the backing plate theory.
At this point Ive stopped caring and just really want to get my Whipple on.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I have the decel rattle on mine and I have the A10.
Can be heard while driving and in idle.

My manifold has been replaced as well as my engine....

That is not the rattle my car makes

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will gladly unhook my imrc to see if it has any effect as long as I know it won't cause problems. I'm sure it would kick a cel, but anything else?
Without locking it in a stationary position I don't know if that will work.
I don't think it would hurt anything other than making the car feel lazier on the bottom end.

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
Mine is 100% throttle/load dependent. No amount of fooling with the shifter (6-spd) changes its tone or consistency. Sounds very much like a connecting rod rattle from my experience. Many early Toyota 4 cylinders would exhibit a very similar noise when the rod bearings would get a lot of miles on them. It's the same type of metallic, aluminum hollow type of rattle. The give-a-way for me is that the rotating assy (crank/rods, etc) must be in a 'coast' condition to produce the rattle. Soon as you tip-in the throttle you are removing the decel load and for a moment (or more if you modulate it) you are between a decel and accel load, better known as a 'coast' condition. If you tip-in a little more you are in an accel condition which again loads the rotating assy and the noise disappears.
Once you remove the load it allows the rod to 'float', where it's gonna make noise if it's outta spec. This includes connecting rod side clearance, connecting rod bearing clearance, wrist pin tolerance and even piston to wall clearance...All of which are prone to noise when coasting..Not decelerating, but coasting (no load).

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So automatics are immune to the rattle?
Don’t think they are
I can confirm they are not since my 18 10 speed had the rattle. But the TSB listed is for the 10 speed automatic F150. The idea seems to be that Ford left to little clearance between the trans spacer and the flywheel/flexplate and in certian conditions there is contact creating a rattle.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The give-a-way for me is that the rotating assy (crank/rods, etc) must be in a 'coast' condition to produce the rattle. Soon as you tip-in the throttle you are removing the decel load and for a moment (or more if you modulate it) you are between a decel and accel load, better known as a 'coast' condition. If you tip-in a little more you are in an accel condition which again loads the rotating assy and the noise disappears.
This does not describe my experience with the rattle

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
That is how my lift off rattle sounds

The 2K is different and so is the typewriter...
That is exactly how mine sounds. I believe that is the injector pump or the imrcs.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Literally LMFAO.....

I usually hit up the GT350 forum on here, but haven’t in a bit... what do I see on the first few threads down on page 1!?!

THIS:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/

Seems like the GT350 crowd had THE rattle that I suggestively posted about here (without even knowing either sub-forum was discussing or trying to fix the same noise)....

So there ya go... the trans spacer plate can be the source of the rattle on the S550 - without any “official” doc from Ford (yet).

Cheers fellas!

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT. 1990 LX 5.0 . 2006 F-150. 76 RD400. 73 H2. 75 RD350
Has anyone eles noticed when it's damp outside the rattle is much quieter? Today there was light rain and the rattle was almost non existent. This also was the case a few weeks ago when I took it out after it rained. Am I not hearing it because the air is more dense or is it because water is getting thrown up into the bell housing/transmission area and dampening the vibration.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Literally LMFAO.....

I usually hit up the GT350 forum on here, but haven’t in a bit... what do I see on the first few threads down on page 1!?!

THIS:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/

Seems like the GT350 crowd had THE rattle that I suggestively posted about here (without even knowing either sub-forum was discussing or trying to fix the same noise)....

So there ya go... the trans spacer plate can be the source of the rattle on the S550 - without any “official” doc from Ford (yet).

Cheers fellas!
I know it's a different transmission in the GT350 (Tremec) but I'd would love to see this plate on the MT-82 configuration. I also would love to get some recording of the rattle. Where's a good Ford NVH engineer when you need one? :)

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Had my one piece DS and FRP short shifter installed last week. Rattle is quieter. Strange...
Sponsored