GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
We did. Still down 70 hp
-8%
Hummmmm
I’m rolling the M6G forum dice and placing all my chips on the Brisk plugs causing you to pull your hair out.

Just wondering, what model NGK’s are you using ?

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Get rid of those Brisks. I never liked them.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
-8%
Hummmmm
I’m rolling the M6G forum dice and placing all my chips on the Brisk plugs causing you to pull your hair out.

Just wondering, what model NGK’s are you using ?
ngk 95822 regapped to .020

Sponsored

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
I had misfire codes when I had Brisk plugs in. Changed to NGK and no misfire codes.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I had misfire codes when I had Brisk plugs in. Changed to NGK and no misfire codes.
Spark Plugs are like precision Ball Bearings.
There’s only one country on the planet that manufactures the best of the best.
JAPAN.

Last edited:
OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Did you find the lost HP yet ?
Won't know for sure for a couple months. I switched to a new tuner and we are about to begin the remote tuning process. Should be able to dyno it in late August or Sept. Hopefully will also have the built trans by then.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
They will still arc, but being off center the distance of the arc will be increased ever so slightly. Probably not enough for anyone to notice, certainly not enough to result in a drastic power loss.

The loss of power is almost certainly due to either misfire or spark blowout. Now that you've swapped plugs, you've found the culprit. Either the plugs weren't keeping up at high rpm or getting blown.

Spark plugs have to operate hot enough to burn off deposits, but not so hot they melt components. The larger the gap, the more energy that's required to create an arc and contributes to the plugs operating temps (in addition to engine combustion). Bigger gaps will create a better ignition, but also put more stress on the coils and the plug and also be subject to blow out in FI applications. Smaller gaps are easier on the coils and electrical system but with a smaller arc, they not as efficient at ignition, but also more resistant to being blown out.

Your tuner should tell you the plugs and gaps they're comfortable with on your setup. NGK's seem to be tried and true and honestly the price differences on an item you might swap out every 50k miles is trivial. The setup and type of fuel, how hard you punish the car, etc will all factor into the service life.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
They will still arc, but being off center the distance of the arc will be increased ever so slightly. Probably not enough for anyone to notice, certainly not enough to result in a drastic power loss.

The loss of power is almost certainly due to either misfire or spark blowout. Now that you've swapped plugs, you've found the culprit. Either the plugs weren't keeping up at high rpm or getting blown.

Spark plugs have to operate hot enough to burn off deposits, but not so hot they melt components. The larger the gap, the more energy that's required to create an arc and contributes to the plugs operating temps (in addition to engine combustion). Bigger gaps will create a better ignition, but also put more stress on the coils and the plug and also be subject to blow out in FI applications. Smaller gaps are easier on the coils and electrical system but with a smaller arc, they not as efficient at ignition, but also more resistant to being blown out.

Your tuner should tell you the plugs and gaps they're comfortable with on your setup. NGK's seem to be tried and true and honestly the price differences on an item you might swap out every 50k miles is trivial. The setup and type of fuel, how hard you punish the car, etc will all factor into the service life.
I think it's more likely to be the
Tune (? Unknown loss of power)
E54 VS E85 (maybe 20—30hp)
Hotter temps(maybe 20-30)
4th VS 5th gear (maybe 10-15)

Still we did this dyno thinking we'd make even more than before even with all of that above factored in.

Blowout looks pretty obvious on a graph and usually shows more up top when boost is higher. What mind looked like was you basically start by subtracting a little at the beginning of the run and continue decreasing until its a full 100hp down. That's why I did the compression test because I just couldn't see how a sparkplug change could have such a drastic affect across the whole powerband.i guess its possible there was a boost leak but I don't know where it could be.

Last edited: