Sponsored

Could sparkplug strap being slightly off center cause a noticeable power loss

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm going to replace it regardless. I'm not sure how it happened I didn't gap them and these are basically brand new. I noticed it when I pulled all the plugs for a compression test. If you look at my sig it is a FI car so I'm wondering if this slightly off plug would cause a power loss. No misfires though.

20220702_173924.jpg

20220702_180458.jpg

20220702_180508.jpg

20220702_173856.jpg
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Well Sir, I have no proof, but I'd have to say no, the spark plug in-question would not cause notable power loss.

Other that the contact being somewhat askew, the electrode and the ground tip look normal. Same color as the others. No physical damage or unusual wear.

Routine maintenance, or, are you looking into a recent loss of power?

Last edited:
OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Well Sir, I have no proof, but I'd have to say no, the spark plug in-question would not cause notable power loss.

Other that the contact being somewhat askew, the electrode and the ground tip look normal. Same color as the others. No physical damage or unusual wear.

Routine maintenance, or, are you looking into a recent loss of power?
Yes, changed some things on the setup and basically the power went the opposite way throughout the entire rev range. These brisk plugs were a new addition. Most of the other changes were tuning related (decreasing any knock, holding commanded timing, table scaling). The setup hasn't really changed, same fuel delivery system, same boost and headunit. The compression test was good and I didn't expect there to be a problem there but for renting a tool and some time its an easy way to ease my mind.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'll let more experienced people offer detailed (and better, LOL) advice, but curious...if you left the plugs as-is and returned the changed variables back to your initial, before-tuning-changes baseline, would the power return?

Last edited:
OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'll let more experienced people offer more detailed (and better, LOL) advice, but curious...if you left the plugs as-is and returned the changed variables back to your initial, before-tuning-changes baseline, would the power return?
It was down 100hp up top. We allowed a small cool down and I flashed a similar but not exact file to the one that had been on it for the last dyno and it did pick up 30hp. So some of it tuning and probably 10 or so from it being a 4th gear pull VS 5th gear. But it is strange.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I'm not sure how it happened I didn't gap them and these are basically brand new.
Yes, changed some things on the setup and basically the power went the opposite way throughout the entire rev range. These brisk plugs were a new addition.
It was down 100hp up top.
Off the cuff,
You say you didn’t gap them and the power was down.
By the picture the gap looks large for a FI motor and they are not projected core plugs.
Personally, NGK plugs gapped for a FI motor, .025”~.028” especially running E85.

Last edited:
OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Off the cuff,
You say you didn’t gap them and the power was down.
By the picture the gap looks large for a FI motor and they are not projected core plugs.
Personally, NGK plugs gapped for a FI motor, .025”~.028” especially running E85.
The gap on the brisk from factory is about. . 024

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
The gap on the brisk from factory is about. . 024
So the only thing that’s changed since your power loss is a change to Brisk spark plugs ?
By chance did you verify the Brisk factory pre gapped plugs ?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In this older thread, quite a few M6G members experienced misfires using Brisk - and subsequent same issue when replacing them with another set of Brisk.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brisk-spark-plug-issues.54561/

If you Google "brisk spark plug issue", there's A LOT of people across many forums that complain about Brisk or have had multiple failures of the brand.

With so many complaints and failures of the plug - from an outsider, I'd suspect the materials being used are of inferior quality...

Spark plug electrodes shouldn't be "moving", warping, or contorted under normal operating conditions (ie: heat), and without impact. The mention of misfire events with these plugs across MANY auto/bike forums may be due to some internal issue with the plug design or QC of craftsmanship if an apparent exterior issue isn't visible.

IMO, go with another brand plug.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
So the only thing that’s changed since your power loss is a change to Brisk spark plugs ?
By chance did you verify the Brisk factory pre gapped plugs ?
I didn't really even look at the plugs and simply put them in. I'm not sure how the strap got off center. I did not measure gap before installing them.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
In this older thread, quite a few M6G members experienced misfires using Brisk - and subsequent same issue when replacing them with another set of Brisk.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brisk-spark-plug-issues.54561/

If you Google "brisk spark plug issue", there's A LOT of people across many forums that complain about Brisk or have had multiple failures of the brand.

With so many complaints and failures of the plug - from an outsider, I'd suspect the materials being used are of inferior quality...

Spark plug electrodes shouldn't be "moving", warping, or contorted under normal operating conditions (ie: heat), and without impact. The mention of misfire events with these plugs across MANY auto/bike forums may be due to some internal issue with the plug design or QC of craftsmanship if an apparent exterior issue isn't visible.

IMO, go with another brand plug.
I put the ngks back in. I already know they made like 893 so I know they are good

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
So down about 100 HP with Brisk = about -11%
Plz post results with the NGK’s.
There were tune differences too so it's not a direct comparison. We were just so confused because we thought it would gain another 20 or 30 hp not lose 100

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Plug change. Loss. Hmmm. Put the known good tune and try it with the brisks. That'll give you your answer.
Sponsored