Sponsored

Could only the GT350 Tachometer be swapped into GT cluster?

diegoaccord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Lancer Evolution X, 325i E46
I'm wondering if the tach only would work in a GT cluster, and have the correct sweep?

I just bought stage 3 cams off here, and hunting for a Cobra Jet setup, and my RPM's will be above 8K. I have seen in videos that the stock tach only sweeps to 8K, no matter what the RPM's are. The needle literally wont move past 8. So I want a GT350 tach... but only the tach. I don't want a 200 MPH speedo, cars's getting geared 4.11 so stock 160 will probably be the max it can do, maybe not even. IMO, it'll be so stupid to have such a sweep that can't be used.

I don't want a monster tach, I want an OEM solution, or the other solution is find a monster tach that can be fitted into the cluster, replacing the stock tach. Does anyone know of speculate if the clusters of these cars will work like that? Or even if the needle sweep is something that can be adjusted with forscan(?) then I could get a gauge face made.

OR, would the GT350 cluster accept the speedo from a GT?
Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Best bet is just to swap in the 350 cluster and be done with it. I’m not sure what the hang up is over the higher speedometer? I couldn’t imagine it would be possible to butcher them up like that to combine them. Nice thing is you will have a digital speedometer which is a feature I find myself using all the time ever since I swapped mine.

OP
OP

diegoaccord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an Evo X which has a 190 speedo. It looks ridiculous when higher freeway speeds are like 1/3 of the speedo, and normal speeds aren't even 1/4th of the sweep. And you'll never see the backhalf of the sweep. Also neither car can do remotely close to 200. Stang will be likely 510-525 WHP and 4.11 gears. Maybe it'll do the stock GT 160. Evo does 4K in top gear at 80. It can't even gear to 200. I've thought about swapping the speedo part from a regular Lancer (150) as well.

I'm sure we all have little things that seem insignificant, but just makes us go...'meh'. If I had the ability to do at least 175-180, I'd be fine with a 200 speedo.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Best bet is just to swap in the 350 cluster and be done with it. I’m not sure what the hang up is over the higher speedometer? I couldn’t imagine it would be possible to butcher them up like that to combine them. Nice thing is you will have a digital speedometer which is a feature I find myself using all the time ever since I swapped mine.
I wouldn't mind a 200mph speedo. But im betting this swap is a pita.

Sponsored

OP
OP

diegoaccord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't mind a 200mph speedo. But im betting this swap is a pita.
You're boosted. You can probably do 175+ unless you geared it crazy.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I have an Evo X which has a 190 speedo. It looks ridiculous when higher freeway speeds are like 1/3 of the speedo, and normal speeds aren't even 1/4th of the sweep. And you'll never see the backhalf of the sweep. Also neither car can do remotely close to 200. Stang will be likely 510-525 WHP and 4.11 gears. Maybe it'll do the stock GT 160. Evo does 4K in top gear at 80. It can't even gear to 200. I've thought about swapping the speedo part from a regular Lancer (150) as well.

I'm sure we all have little things that seem insignificant, but just makes us go...'meh'. If I had the ability to do at least 175-180, I'd be fine with a 200 speedo.
I've had my cluster swapped for a while now haha idk I wouldn't get hung up on it if you want to stay close to factory as possible. Might as well get an aftermarket rpm gauge if it is an issue most go up to 10k at least compared to the 9k on the 350 cluster. I just don't see it being possible modifying these gauge clusters you would have to be able to change how the cluster works altogether as the sweep distances are completely different. Then if you did want to experiment the 350 clusters are usually $500 or so unless you find someone doing an auction on eBay.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yea the entire cluster swsp. Not to mention finding a second hand one at a reasonable price.
I swapped one into my GT last year :)

Main thing is getting some of the options to work, JWS did the swap on a 50 year limited car and got some of the stuff to work I believe. On my auto base car I lost remote start (may be able to be enabled but I never used it so I don't care about it), car chimes when the driver door is open and I cant see what gear im in using the paddles though I use the ngauge lights which work well so no loss there. Cant change the steering mode as well but meh. In a premium you stand to lose a bit more of course.

ODO reading is also easily changed as well. There was a cluster on ebay on auction but there are several for $500 BIN from midway I think. I had a big thread about it.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-gauge-cluster-thread.92315/

I bought mine used and had the ODO changed online JWS ordered one from the dealer. He knows more about getting things to work than I do.

OP
OP

diegoaccord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a lot of nagging little issues for whole cluster swap after reading that thread. My original idea seems to be better, considering that the tach is one of the few things that work PnP, I will get a GT350 cluster and swap out the tach only. If it reads incorrectly or doesn't work, I'll put it back in, and sell the cluster. Not looking to pay to have the cluster modded, then it actually doesn't work 100%.

200 MPH bothers me, but the tach needle stopping at 8K bothers me more. This is also why I dont care about the 18 cluster, I've seen a vid where even the digital readouts stop at 8000/160.

We'll see.

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium pp, FBO CJ/Cams combo, E85
Any updates on this? I have the same CJ/ Cams and built top end and a 8500 limit, I personally don’t mind having the 200mph speedo so I would just plug in the entire dash but were there any issues? My car is a 15 Premium Performance pack so I’m assuming the only option that’s not compatible would be the active exhaust correct? Also if you did the swap did the tach threshold just adjust to the new GT350 tach? Or does the car still think it’s a standard oem tach and just show it reving out to 9k when it’s really just 8k? Any info would be really helpful thanks!
Sponsored