Sponsored

COTA day 2 of 2: Advanced Solo Group - 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP! Epic Chaos! (video)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
This is NOT your typical track video! This is non-stop adrenaline… all the juicy bits set to a heart pounding musical score! This is day 2 of 2 with Edge Addicts at Circuit of the Americas presented in 4K! Ride along in my 760hp carbon fiber track pack Shelby GT500 as I go head-to-head with Porsches, Corvettes, BMWs, GT350s, Camaros and a host of other performance machines passing in the corners all captured with multiple cameras including a GoPro 360 Max! There were 3 lanes in the advanced group: fast, faster and fastest. I went out with the fast group and was considerably faster. For the next session, I lined up with the faster group and was once again, considerably faster. For sessions 3-5, I lined up with the fastest group and there were really only 1-2 cars that gave me a good run for the money. It was an absolutely EPIC day! I spent weeks editing this video. Turn up your volume… I hope you enjoy!

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Great video. What were you seeing before going in to braking on turn 12?

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Great video. What were you seeing before going in to braking on turn 12?
I watched my videos and saw the data after filming the end scene. Top speed on the back straight was 158 for me. My buddy in a base model hit 160. I jumped on the brakes at the 200 feet to go mark, which was too early, but couldn't bring myself to brake any later. I hit 141 top speed on the front straight and jumped on the binders at the 150 to go mark (going up the bid ass hill at turn 1.
Nice video! What was your best time?
This was my first time at COTA. I was hitting consistent 2:32s. I started day one in the intermediate group with a buddy instructor in the right seat. I got cleared to run solo on day one. In the driver's meeting at the start of day 2, I mentioned there were some cars (Porsches) that were simply not giving points (to pass). The lady asked me what my lap times were and when I told her, she moved me to the advanced group (too fast for intermediate group). I was either the fastest or second fastest behind a stripped dedicated track Porsche in the advance group, which isn't too shabby for a 4100 pound beast with full interior and a rock'n sub in the trunk!

After spending a couple weeks editing this video, I saw some areas that I can improve upon to shave a little more time when I go back. This track is ridiculously AWESOME!

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Thanks for the reply, very cool. I was trying to get a sense of where the car was when you went in to the brakes. Turn 12 was the one I was really curious about since its all car and not aided by the elevation change going into turn 1. I’m really looking forward to taking one of mine next year.

I watched my videos and saw the data after filming the end scene. Top speed on the back straight was 158 for me. My buddy in a base model hit 160. I jumped on the brakes at the 200 feet to go mark, which was too early, but couldn't bring myself to brake any later. I hit 141 top speed on the front straight and jumped on the binders at the 150 to go mark (going up the bid ass hill at turn 1.

This was my first time at COTA. I was hitting consistent 2:32s. I started day one in the intermediate group with a buddy instructor in the right seat. I got cleared to run solo on day one. In the driver's meeting at the start of day 2, I mentioned there were some cars (Porsches) that were simply not giving points (to pass). The lady asked me what my lap times were and when I told her, she moved me to the advanced group (too fast for intermediate group). I was either the fastest or second fastest behind a stripped dedicated track Porsche in the advance group, which isn't too shabby for a 4100 pound beast with full interior and a rock'n sub in the trunk!

After spending a couple weeks editing this video, I saw some areas that I can improve upon to shave a little more time when I go back. This track is ridiculously AWESOME!

Sponsored

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10

Nice! Definitely too fast for intermediate.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
awesome video, thanks for taking the time to upload and post :rockon:

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
awesome video, thanks for taking the time to upload and post :rockon:
Thanks Dennis! This video took me weeks to put together. I appreciate it.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Thank you for posting this video and all of your hard work to produce these. I was really amazed on how hard the 500 pulled on some very fast vehicles. Are you all stock? You mentioned your buddy in the Base, how was his car doing and is he also stock?

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for posting this video and all of your hard work to produce these. I was really amazed on how hard the 500 pulled on some very fast vehicles. Are you all stock? You mentioned your buddy in the Base, how was his car doing and is he also stock?
Thanks… I appreciate it!

I was there both days with a buddy that has a base model. Both of our cars are stock. I mention it at the end of the video, but I hit a top speed of 158 on the back stretch and 141 on the front. I jumped on the binders early each time on the back at the 200’ to go mark. I hit the brakes at 150’ to go on the front straight as you are going up a big ass hill and can brake very late. My buddy hit 160 on the back straight (less downforce/less drag on his base model). I ran consistent 2:32 best lap times. My buddy in the base hit a 2:38 best lap.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Nice! Definitely too fast for intermediate.
Once you break 2:40, they will move you to advanced. In fact, less than 2:50 will get their attention and ask you to move to the advanced group, but not mandatory.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
…. I ran consistent 2:32 best lap times. My buddy in the base hit a 2:38 best lap.
My best time in my base is 2:40. But ambient temp was always well into the 90’s. Have seen a few guys with Cup2’s on their base break into 2:30’s. But 2:32 is smoke’n.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
My best time in my base is 2:40. But ambient temp was always well into the 90’s. Have seen a few guys with Cup2’s on their base break into 2:30’s. But 2:32 is smoke’n.
Thanks for the info… always good to compare/contrast with others in the same platform. I met another CFTP owner there that weekend that has run COTA quite a bit. He hit a best of 2:27, which is nuts! I was fly’n and quite happy with my 2:32, especially as a first-timer, but in watching my footage while putting together the videos, I saw a couple areas that I can carry more speed. I may try Hoosiers as well! I look forward to going back… what an amazing track!

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
….I look forward to going back… what an amazing track!
You have yet to experience the decadent aspects of the track. Get a garage next time, pull right out onto pit road for staging and enjoy the air conditioned lounges!
Ya, I’m spoiled….

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
You have yet to experience the decadent aspects of the track. Get a garage next time, pull right out onto pit road for staging and enjoy the air conditioned lounges!
Ya, I’m spoiled….
That would be a cool experience! They weren’t available to us due to the F1 race prep.
Sponsored