Sponsored

Corvette To Be Its Own Brand?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I sort of get it, but its still pretty silly.

They should invent a new brand label, instead of cannibalizing the Vette, but creativity is much harder than appropriation, especially when you have a large org and the decisions all pass through through committee.

Kachøw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm cool with it if the product is good. I may be in the market for a sports sedan someday if I need more backseat room. Hopefully they don't botch it.

Maybe this news will finally get Ford off their asses and start innovating something new with the Mustang instead of just mailing it in like they did with the S650?

I will say i'm not crazy about the idea of a Corvette SUV but from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense and will likely sell like hotcakes.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm cool with it if the product is good. I may be in the market for a sports sedan someday if I need more backseat room. Hopefully they don't botch it.

Maybe this news will finally get Ford off their asses and start innovating something new with the Mustang instead of just mailing it in like they did with the S650?

I will say i'm not crazy about the idea of a Corvette SUV but from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense and will likely sell like hotcakes.
I’m with you on this. As a former Corvette owner I think this will give the engineers at GM/Corvette a little more liberty and will also not just push Ford/Mustang but also Chrysler/Dodge to step up their game. Although I think Dodge hit it out of the ball park with the Charger/Challenger models. While not my cup of tea very sexy cars.
To me the biggest mistake Ford did IMHO was not rolling out a manual GT500. I don’t get it, there isn’t a god enough argument that will sway me to say that yes that flappy paddles where the only way to go. If anything be different and offer a sequential transmission for those of us who like rowing gears. It wouldn’t get better then that honestly.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I’m with you on this. As a former Corvette owner I think this will give the engineers at GM/Corvette a little more liberty and will also not just push Ford/Mustang but also Chrysler/Dodge to step up their game. Although I think Dodge hit it out of the ball park with the Charger/Challenger models. While not my cup of tea very sexy cars.
To me the biggest mistake Ford did IMHO was not rolling out a manual GT500. I don’t get it, there isn’t a god enough argument that will sway me to say that yes that flappy paddles where the only way to go. If anything be different and offer a sequential transmission for those of us who like rowing gears. It wouldn’t get better then that honestly.
The reason there's no manual in the GT500 is the same reason there is no manual in the Nissan GTR. It is about taking the most advanced technology and putting it together to make the fastest most precise mustang ever. The GT350 was the traditional "driver's car" which is why it got the manual.

That DCT in the GT500 is nothing to sneeze at, its an insane piece of technology

Sponsored

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Ecoboost premium coupe
It's an inevitable result of brand engineering and future sales. Porsche, Lambo, soon Ferrari and others are doing it. Makes sense. Ford will do it too. The Mustang Mach E is only the beginning. While I am a purist I also understand the reality of the current and future automotive business.

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
A Corvette named SUV (ala Mustang MACH E) would outsell any of Chevy's current SUVs.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
The reason there's no manual in the GT500 is the same reason there is no manual in the Nissan GTR. It is about taking the most advanced technology and putting it together to make the fastest most precise mustang ever. The GT350 was the traditional "driver's car" which is why it got the manual.

That DCT in the GT500 is nothing to sneeze at, its an insane piece of technology
Don’t get me wrong I think that the GT500 with a DCT is very competitive in many levels. It goes to show what good ole American engineering can get done when incentivized.

With that said much like I was disappointed that GM wouldn’t be offering a manual option with the C8 ZO6 I felt the same with the GT500. Two high performance cars with tons of hp but all controlled by a computer at the end of the day.

I live about 40 min from a mountain drive that’s 54 miles up and down and driving that thing with a manual is a blast. I had a buddy with his GTR take me on that ride. Even he said that he has more fun on that road with his manual Mark IV Supra then the GTR.

I’m just old school when it comes to high performance cars and manuals. Even Koenigsegg saw the need for a manual style transmission. They have a hybrid auto/manual with a clutch. They listened to their clients and gave them what they wanted. I’m a dinosaur in this aspect.

DR_Mach1Yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC 2500, 2022 GT500, 2023 Corvette Z06 !!!
Don’t get me wrong I think that the GT500 with a DCT is very competitive in many levels. It goes to show what good ole American engineering can get done when incentivized.

With that said much like I was disappointed that GM wouldn’t be offering a manual option with the C8 ZO6 I felt the same with the GT500. Two high performance cars with tons of hp but all controlled by a computer at the end of the day.

I live about 40 min from a mountain drive that’s 54 miles up and down and driving that thing with a manual is a blast. I had a buddy with his GTR take me on that ride. Even he said that he has more fun on that road with his manual Mark IV Supra then the GTR.

I’m just old school when it comes to high performance cars and manuals. Even Koenigsegg saw the need for a manual style transmission. They have a hybrid auto/manual with a clutch. They listened to their clients and gave them what they wanted. I’m a dinosaur in this aspect.

The problem with this statement is that although emotionally, you are correct and I agree. Manuals are more "fun" and that's all, nothing else over the new DCT and Autos, but the people don't buy manuals. So as a business it doesn't make sense to make a car that already less and less are buying and on top of all that lets give it 700hp and a manual. I can attest to manual being fun, but if your ever in a track not a road and your all out, my personal opinion the DCT is more fun and I've owned Gt3, Gt500, Mach 1, Zr1, AMG GT and with all those my Zl1 1Le is the one I miss more than any other. My allocation for the Z06 came in last week on 12/1/22 so I will update you on when I get it and compare it to the Gt500 and let you know.

Koenigsegg did not find a "need" they made one that is like nothing else on this planet that is a auto/manual on command because the Billionaires requested it and well he can make cool stuff. Again I know what you mean but someone has to play devils advocate.

Namaste

DR_Mach1Yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC 2500, 2022 GT500, 2023 Corvette Z06 !!!
A Corvette named SUV (ala Mustang MACH E) would outsell any of Chevy's current SUVs.
So a birdie up in Michigan says this may be more real than not. When I Lived up there i got to see a lot of cool stuff before the major public with the companies I worked for. Shoot we got to blow up Godzilla's before anyone new about them.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i

The DCT eliminates the most difficult factor to deal with in high powered cars... the stupid driver. No clutch dumps, no drive line snatch, no power shifts, no downshifts to the wrong gear, no bogging the engine... and the list goes on.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Bingo. A 500 can be a handfull. A Gt350 with the same power is a big time handful in the wrong hands. It is very easy to loop a 350 with that much power in a straight line let alone throwing any type of turn in to the equation.

The DCT eliminates the most difficult factor to deal with in high powered cars... the stupid driver. No clutch dumps, no drive line snatch, no power shifts, no downshifts to the wrong gear, no bogging the engine... and the list goes on.

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
As will an autonomous, self-driving car. Totally eliminate all drivers, stupid or otherwise. Perfection and beatific bliss.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
As far as Corvette being its own company, I thought that it always has been. I have never, in my 52 years of driving, met a person who drove a Corvette refer to it as a Chevy.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
As will an autonomous, self-driving car. Totally eliminate all drivers, stupid or otherwise. Perfection and beatific bliss.
I think there are more people who would welcome this than oppose it, based on the number of drivers I see using their smart phones; especially at every stoplight.
Sponsored