Sponsored

Copart Mustang as my first car? financial mistake?

ChezJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
looking to buy:(
qsaaixm2us221.png

upload_2018-12-7_0-39-58.png

Hi guys I'm new to reddit. Saw this rear-ended 2015 mustang ecoboost on copart, 52k miles, pure sale. I have been looking for my first car, so how much damage are we talking about here?(from how the picure looks) To me it just looks like some body work at quaterpanel and trunk area, potentially the bumper & hidden suspension damage. I was actually surprised by this car was totaled by this little of damage(at least for what it appears to be to me). Every fix will be on budget(use aftermarket & used parts as much as possible). The car still does run and drive, would this be a great risk to bid on without seeing the car in person? if so, how much will be a reasonable bidding price for this car? (my budget is around 9k)

OP: https://www.copart.com/lot/48320658

All answers will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, for the current price of $17k - and if looking for an EB - you can find one (same model year and equipped same) that is not wrecked for nearly the same price, or very close to it.

Even with using salvage yard parts, plus your time and other expenses (prep/paint), you’re going to have a lot into it, way more than book value and what you could even resell it for later. So essentially, you would be “upside down” on it and it would still have a salvage title, which could sway future buyer decisions.

If it were a $8-10k price it may be worth the effort, but surely not at close to $18k...

Don’t get me wrong Copart has decent deals on some cars, but you really have to research current values too to see if you’re going to be on top or in the red.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i would say no to this purely based on some of the wrecks ive seen on this site and how much the repairs tend to be. pretty sure the taillights themselves are like a grand plus any frame damage and body work bent exhaust etc it can get pretty pricey really quick

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I would say no. Just looking at what I can see there is somewhere north of 10k worth of damage. Slightly less if you do all the labor yourself. Better off buying one not wrecked

Sponsored

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
Your budget is 9k and your worried about being able to afford a car?

Do yourself a favor and get a Civic. Work hard, save some money, then go Mustang shopping in a few years.
What he said.

No offense, but if your budget is $9K, you're in the wrong ballpark man.

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
if you only have 9k and really want a mustang, go look at older models, not a s550.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
It looks like the right rear quarter is buckled a bit. That’s a pretty thin area there not sure if it can be repaired without replacing the whole panel. That would get expensive probably why it got totaled as a bumper and lights are nothing.

Plus salvaged title you would need to go through dmv document all repairs then have them inspect it to get a rebuilt title. Then it’s still a rebuilt title and harder to insure and all that.

If you want to get a mustang and you’re looking at EcoBoost anyways find one preowned at a dealer. They’re like 20 probably for a decent low mileage one that’s premium. Put the 9k as a down payment. Do a 72 month finance and ur looking at 200-250 dollars a month.

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
Current bid is only $1,100. If you could get this for a couple of grand it's probably worth working on. The rear fender is going to be hard to fix correctly without body shop expertise, and and frame damage is going to require an expert.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
If you could get this for around 5-10k then it might be worth it. That being said, if you have no previous experience in collision repair nor have the facilities for both frame and paint, then absolutely not. It is a salvage vehicle for a reason.

Looks to me like it will need a new quarter panel, rear body panel, and possible frame repair due to the bumper reinforcement being pushed into the rear body panel. That car is likely hiding alot of damage.

Reactions: DGM

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If all you have is $9K, forget about it. It will never work, unless you are an auto-body repair master with your own shop, and are given all the parts and materials needed for free.

Please give that car a chance at a 2nd life, and let someone that can properly fix it buy it.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
First off, you would need to look at this potential purchase, and ask yourself what the worst-case scenario would be?

If it were me, I would be assuming the rear frame rails were damaged and would need to be straightened, the rear suspension/subframe would need to be replaced as well as all of the exhaust components after the catalytic converters. Then you have all the bodywork and parts for the rear bumper, rear bumper supports underneath the bumper, taillights, trunk lid, both quarter panels, possibly the evap/purge components behind/rearward of the rear subframe, and who knows what else?

I would only consider this car if I could see and inspect it in person, and if I had all the necessary tools, space, and experience to do most of the parts replacement myself, and I knew of and trusted the other work to a competent body shop/frame straightening company, AND I could buy the car at a steal, which for me would be a maximum of $5,000.

If you do not have the necessary tools, space, and experience to do much of the mechanical work yourself; then you need to forget this car, and like the other members here have said, work hard for 2-3 years, eat ramen noodles/mac-n-cheese every night, save all the money you can and then buy your dream car.

Nothing worthwhile is ever easy!

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
dont mess with wrecked cars with a 9k budget lol
Sponsored