Sponsored

Cooling fan noise

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Does anyone else have extremely noisy cooling fans?

It's something I noticed recently, and usually I notice things because there was a change.

It almost seems like my fans are running full out all the time (even at idle). If the car is parked & idling, you can hear the fans over the h-pipe & Borla S-types I have... which just doesn't seem right.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Does anyone else have extremely noisy cooling fans?

It's something I noticed recently, and usually I notice things because there was a change.

It almost seems like my fans are running full out all the time (even at idle). If the car is parked & idling, you can hear the fans over the h-pipe & Borla S-types I have... which just doesn't seem right.
Are you tuned? It's normal for the fans to be loud, but Lund for example bases the tune around having a 170 thermostat and the fans come on earlier by default unless you ask him to change it back. My fans are always running with the stock thermostat even if it's 45 degrees outside when I am tuned.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
^^^this

Xbst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT/CS
I just had the same problem. Brought it to the dealer and it turned out to be a bad expansion valve on the AC system. Something about causing high pressure in the lines which heats up the compressor; so the car turns the radiator fans on full tilt to compensate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I just had the same problem. Brought it to the dealer and it turned out to be a bad expansion valve on the AC system. Something about causing high pressure in the lines which heats up the compressor; so the car turns the radiator fans on full tilt to compensate.
I'll have to see if my compressor is running...

I turned my HVAC off to see if it was something along those lines, but it didn't seem to have an effect. I never checked for compressor operation though.

Looks like I'll break out the OBD2 connector tonight.

OP
OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
PCM - DTC P1464 : A/C Demand Out of Self Test Range

Anyone know anything about this DTC?

I'm thinking they may have left a connection open when they redid my valve cover gaskets...

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I had a problem with my fans on high also. Happened when my A/C went out and or was going out. I noticed when I used either A/C or defrost the fans would come on high and stay that way no matter what till the car shut off. I haven't taken my car to the dealer for it. I used a professional A/C machine to remove the remaining refrigerant. It had 3oz left. My compressor was making noise and was hard to turn. I charged the system full again cant remember exactly but its like 1.2lbs? maybe more. Anyway the A/C worked again and fans worked normal. My A/C compressor was still noisy and I could feel it in my clutch pedal also and the pressures were low. I unplugged my compressor and the fans have been normal ever since for over a year haha. I found an A/C leak coming from between merging of high pressure line. I also need a compressor. Your problem might be completely different, just wanted to let you know my situation. Also I'm bone stock.

OP
OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I had a problem with my fans on high also. Happened when my A/C went out and or was going out. I noticed when I used either A/C or defrost the fans would come on high and stay that way no matter what till the car shut off. I haven't taken my car to the dealer for it. I used a professional A/C machine to remove the remaining refrigerant. It had 3oz left. My compressor was making noise and was hard to turn. I charged the system full again cant remember exactly but its like 1.2lbs? maybe more. Anyway the A/C worked again and fans worked normal. My A/C compressor was still noisy and I could feel it in my clutch pedal also and the pressures were low. I unplugged my compressor and the fans have been normal ever since for over a year haha. I found an A/C leak coming from between merging of high pressure line. I also need a compressor. Your problem might be completely different, just wanted to let you know my situation. Also I'm bone stock.
Thank you. Someone suggested that earlier, too, but I've ruled it out. This happens when it's below 10 degrees F outside (no A/C running) and HVAC turned completely off.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Yesterday was the first time all winter my A/C kicked on... and it wasn't cold.

I've subscribed to the workshop manual at motorcraftservice.com and I'll go through their steps tonight.

OP
OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2

Seems like it's similar.
I drove home today with HVAC completely shut off (nearly froze me) and the same thing happened. I verified that the compressor was off, but the high side of the A/C system was at 400 psi!! ...400 psi without the compressor running.

I put my manifold gauges on to verify that it's not just a sensor... well I didn't notice the o-ring had fallen out so by the time I got the high side back off, the pressure was gone. But that's a lead.

I got the manifold gauges on and turned the A/C on MAX. Compressor on... never hit 400 psi again, but the low side was at 150psi and the compressor was making more noise than I'd like.

I'm thinking either the orifice valve collapsed or something similar and it's blocking the suction side of the compressor. Hopefully the compressor is just cavitating, but who knows at this point.

I think the system had blown just about all of the refrigerant out of the relief valve to only be able to hold 400 psi and what I lost with the o-ring mishap won't allow it to get back to relief pressure. (the system is next to empty with a low side restriction).

I'm going to venture a guess that the HVAC system is not covered under the powertrain warranty... :(

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Glad to hear that your getting somewhere. 400 psi is alot of pressure. Ive only seen that high of pressures when not enough air is going through the condenser, cause the fans are not working and car is idling. 150 psi low side is very high also. Usually half of the outside air temp is normal as a general rule of thumb. So if its 70 degrees outside A/C low pressure should be around 35psi ish. My High side wouldnt go above 90psi and low was around 20psi. I do remember that the A/C machine had trouble charging the system and it took a couple tries through the low side. Because I live in WA having my A/C not working inst that big of a deal for me. If I do decide to fix mine Im going to replace the compressor, receiver dryer, and expansion valve at the minimum. Probably just do the work my self and eat the parts. I dont trust any dealer by me and would probably be less of a headache than having some idiot mess up my car even though it is under warranty. Just curious if you had the refrigerant recovered too verify how much is actually is in the system? Our cars hold 1.5lbs (24oz) of r134. When I recovered it, it only had 3oz left. Filled it back to 1.5lbs and then drove the car for a couple of miles with A/C on and finally unplugged the compressor to keep it from cycling and slow down the leak.

OP
OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Glad to hear that your getting somewhere. 400 psi is alot of pressure. Ive only seen that high of pressures when not enough air is going through the condenser, cause the fans are not working and car is idling. 150 psi low side is very high also. Usually half of the outside air temp is normal as a general rule of thumb. So if its 70 degrees outside A/C low pressure should be around 35psi ish. My High side wouldnt go above 90psi and low was around 20psi. I do remember that the A/C machine had trouble charging the system and it took a couple tries through the low side. Because I live in WA having my A/C not working inst that big of a deal for me. If I do decide to fix mine Im going to replace the compressor, receiver dryer, and expansion valve at the minimum. Probably just do the work my self and eat the parts. I dont trust any dealer by me and would probably be less of a headache than having some idiot mess up my car even though it is under warranty. Just curious if you had the refrigerant recovered too verify how much is actually is in the system? Our cars hold 1.5lbs (24oz) of r134. When I recovered it, it only had 3oz left. Filled it back to 1.5lbs and then drove the car for a couple of miles with A/C on and finally unplugged the compressor to keep it from cycling and slow down the leak.
I did not have the refrigerant recovered. What little I blew out with the o-ring fiasco, however, seems to be enough to prevent the pressure from getting back to 400 psi. I think right now there is just enough to fill the void.

I'm at 46,000 miles... so no warranty on this one (unless I can prove this was caused by the VC gasket replacement which was under warranty... although on the other side of the engine.