Sponsored

Coolant leak , defective coolant outlet housing, replacement part leaks/defective also, 6000 miles

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
I have a 2018 gt that just turned 6000 miles. I noticed a sweet smell, after driving , and the coolant level very slowly dropping. After some investigation, I found coolant leaking from the aluminum housing of the coolant outlet for the return line to the over flow tank.
This aluminum housing has a metal barb pressed into it on the top that sends the coolant to the over flow tank. It is leaking where the barb is pressed into the aluminum.
I took it into ford service, and they replaced part BR3Z 8255 B SEAL-THERMOSTAT and part FR3Z 8592 C : CONNECTION -WATER OUTLET.
I picked the car up from the shop. When I got home, I checked under the hood. The new outlet housing was actually leaking much worse than the original part. It has the same defect.
The shop confirmed the new part has the same failure. I have another appointment this week to have a third part installed. I asked them how I can be sure the next one wont leak. I was told they cant do anything except keep replacing them and hope for a good one eventually.
Is there a way to test this part for leaks before it is installed on the vehicle? Have any of you had this failure? Is this a common problem? Or, am I just unfortunate enough to have two bad units?
I appreciate any input you may have on the situation. I have attached some pictures of the leaks as well as the service receipt to hopefully help clear up what I am referring to.

20200919_102253.jpg

20200916_111632.jpg

20200916_111529.jpg

20200916_111525.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
These may help. The leak is small, hard to see. In one pic you can see coolant that has dripped down. The other picture you can see coolant pooled up between the hose and the barb that hasn't dripped down yet.

20200919_102726.jpg

20200919_102618.jpg

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Looking at the photo it could be either the housing or the hose that's leaking. It says they tested for leaks but if it leaked by the time you got home I wonder. They should either get it up to operating temp and check for leaks, or pressurise the system and leave it for a few hours. Replacing the hose/housing is probably a 1 hour job so it should be all done in a day including a test.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Spray everything down with water, dry completely. Go for a ride and see if there is more coolant. It’s possible the tech did not clean any residual from the repair.

Also, in your images, follow the hose and see if there is any coolant ABOVE the repair point. If there is coolant coming from a higher location, it follows the path of least resistance, which would eventually end up at your image location.

There were also these older threads relating to the small coolant hoses and coolant bottle:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/coolant-leak.43128/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/coolant-leak-at-reservoir-hose.126249/

OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
Thanks for the response guys. It is confirmed to be leaking from between the metal tube and the surrounding aluminum housing. It goes in tomorrow for another replacement. I'll be sure to mention that they change the hose as well just to rule out any possibility of it contributing to the problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
I just wanted to update this incase someone has similar issues and comes across this thread.
I picked the car up from the shop yesterday. The outlet housing was replaced again. It isn't leaking at the moment and I'm hopeful it won't cause me any more problems.
I did notice that this housing has a small visible amount of sealant between the aluminum and the metal tube. I did not notice this on the last two parts that leaked.
Maybe I got two defective parts where the sealant was skipped? I'm not sure why they failed. I just glad its corrected now.

OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
I thought I would provide an update. The new part is leaking again. Same failure location. It was replaced last September, and car has been driven less than 500 miles since then.
The dealer says that the part is on back order currently. What a headache.
Does anyone have any information about an aftermarket replacement? Or a previous version of this part I may be able to retrofit? I haven't heard about the Gen 1 leaking, and my F150 5.0 doesn't leak. Maybe the part was changed at some point, and it's possible to go back to the original design that doesn't leak? Any information is appreciated. This is the fourth coolant housing that has failed on my car, and it only has 7,000 miles on it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If that area ends up continually leaking, are they sure the surface to where the housing is being mounted is not the issue, and not the housing itself?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
If that area ends up co tiny ally leaking, are they sure the surface to where the housing is being mounted is not the issue, and not the housing itself?
Yes. I'm sure. The gasket was replaced each time. And, I can see the coolant coming out from between the tube and aluminum housing.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
If the barb and the housing are both aluminum, can you take the part off and get someone to weld around the joint to seal it up?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
If the barb and the housing are both aluminum, can you take the part off and get someone to weld around the joint to seal it up?
Housing is aluminum, the tube with the barb is some sort of metal alloy. I thought it was brass originally bc its goldish color. But after I saw it off the car, it's definitely not brass some sort of steel

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Maybe some JBWeld epoxy would hold up in that application.

OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
Maybe some JBWeld epoxy would hold up in that application.
Idk. It's worth a shot. I'm going to keep this leaking one when they replace it this time. I'll seal it the best I can with JBweld, and have it on stand by for when/if the replacement fails. I hope the part is backordered bc they are improving the design, not just the same flawed part backordered due to cover delays.

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Pull it off the car, put the nipple in a vise and grab the housing and work it back and forth. They will separate then grab a 1/8”-27 npt tap and tap the housing then find the appropriate nipple and install with teflon tape or sealant.

BTW it’s usually the hose clamp leaking, try replacing it with a fuel injection line clamp.

OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
Pull it off the car, put the nipple in a vise and grab the housing and work it back and forth. They will separate then grab a 1/8”-27 npt tap and tap the housing then find the appropriate nipple and install with teflon tape or sealant.

BTW it’s usually the hose clamp leaking, try replacing it with a fuel injection line clamp.
I like the idea of tapping the housing. I'll do that to the defective one they take off, when it gets replaced next.
I don't think it's the clamp leaking. I originally replaced the clamp with a new one when I first discovered the leak. The clamp was replaced again when they replaced the housing the first time. The second time they replaced the housing they put a worm clamp style clamp on it tightened down so hard the rubber line is bulging out the slots in the clamp. So now the third time they replace the housing( when part is released from backorder), they are replacing the housing , clamp, and line.
Sponsored