Sponsored

Cool Vid on the 2018 Mustang Digital Dash

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
As others have mentioned - the digital speedo alone makes this upgrade worth it.

I know - serious first world problems, but once you have a digital speedometer, you'll never want to go back to reading analog gauges.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
As others have mentioned - the digital speedo alone makes this upgrade worth it.

I know - serious first world problems, but once you have a digital speedometer, you'll never want to go back to reading analog gauges.
I prefer a nicely designed analog gauge with depths than a flat digital screen.
2013 Aston Martin DB9 gauges.jpg

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
You can’t compared a 100 plus grand Aston Martin gauge cluster to mustangs. I also like that cluster but prefer a digital display at least in the center to show some information. By the way why gt’s top speed still showing 160 mph? They bump the rpm, torque, horsepower, and hopefully aerodynamics. They should bump the speedometer to 180 mph considering in Europe some people do exceed 160 mph on occasional driving. New car should be reaching 170+ mph stock! It is also good marketing, and I cannot believe Ford is not doing it.

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
looks like they finally realized the coyote is the new honda s2000 and should utilize its high revving capabilities.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You can’t compared a 100 plus grand Aston Martin gauge cluster to mustangs. I also like that cluster but prefer a digital display at least in the center to show some information. By the way why gt’s top speed still showing 160 mph? They bump the rpm, torque, horsepower, and hopefully aerodynamics. They should bump the speedometer to 180 mph considering in Europe some people do exceed 160 mph on occasional driving. New car should be reaching 170+ mph stock! It is also good marketing, and I cannot believe Ford is not doing it.
Because stock, it's limited to 160mph I believe. If it's showing 180mph which would mean the parts will have to be able to reliably withstand that speed it will be more expensive to make and for every dollar they can save, it will mean millions of dollars to the company.
The old S197 V6 was limited to 120mph and someone took the governor off and went faster, the drive shaft exploded.
My WRX goes up to 180mph which is bogus.

Sponsored

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
I would love to see how this works on a sunny day in a convertible with top down. The current gauges all but disappear in the noon Texas sun, I have doubts you'd be able to see anything at all on the new display.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
It's ok but after seeing it here I wouldn't get it. I'd rather have a simple digital speed display between the speedo and tach as you can on an Escape.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
It's ok but after seeing it here I wouldn't get it. I'd rather have a simple digital speed display between the speedo and tach as you can on an Escape.
That's what's nice about the 350 Display.

People complaining the LCD will not be visible don't take into account that some of us can't see the the Tach or Speedo when we get the seats and wheel adjusted to our liking.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
I like it quite a bit. Not like I'm selling the Shelby for the new dash, but I am a fan.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I would say that the majority of people would, given that Ford would allow a digital speedo in the middle of the two gauges, like most manufacturers do now.

The problem is that if they placed a digital speedometer in between the standard gauges, fewer people would opt for the digital display (I being one of them).

As I said - I've used a digital speedometer for 3 years now - as silly as it sounds, I hate driving vehicles without them, and can never go back.

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible

sorry wrong, had a Digital in the Supra 2.8i, in the Supra 3.0 was back to analog had no issues at all. and since then have not really missed it

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
sorry wrong, had a Digital in the Supra 2.8i, in the Supra 3.0 was back to analog had no issues at all. and since then have not really missed it
Not sure why you're apologizing - that's the beauty of opinions.

Did the Supra have a digital speedo with an analog dial? I have to admit - I've yet to have a dash with only digital, so that might change my opinion.

With that said, dual analog dials (speed / tach) plus a digital speedometer between them is perfect. One thing that VW / Audi are doing right.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Not sure why you're apologizing - that's the beauty of opinions.

Did the Supra have a digital speedo with an analog dial? I have to admit - I've yet to have a dash with only digital, so that might change my opinion.

With that said, dual analog dials (speed / tach) plus a digital speedometer between them is perfect. One thing that VW / Audi are doing right.
there you go !!
think Ford have copied it :D
http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphotos/full/ebay832537.jpg

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
From the video, if you like a certain display does that mean you would have to drive in that mode to get that display?

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
I was an analog gauge purist most of my life, spurred by the horrors of '80s digital displays. Then I got an RX8 with its analog tach and digital speedo and discovered that's really the perfect arrangement.

Analog presentations are ideal when a quick glance at the relative position is useful. Relative position is meaningful when the desired limits are consistent, which they are not with speed.

Also speed isn't something that you need to scan quickly. It's more something you tend to check while you're a steady state and you want to know the number more precisely. Modern analog speedos are terrible for this. They feel obligated to cram 160mph onto the gauge, leaving the useful band about two inches wide and minimizing markings.

After the RX8 I went to CooperS which also had an analog tach with a digital speedo (the pie plate in the center dash is a design ornament). When I finally came back to the traditional two gauge layout in my Miata, which I considered the benchmark for years, I really missed digital speedo.

I'm not entirely thrilled with the bezel shape in the Mustang but I'm really happy that the digital dash will put the tach front an center and allow me to do away with the horrible splayed out gauge arrangement that Ford uses in their cars.
Sponsored