Cool Vid on the 2018 Mustang Digital Dash

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I just feel like they underutilized it. Would have been nice to have a map inlay in the center, more than 1 or 2 vehicle or performance metrics, or even multiple gauge "looks" (metal, carbon fiber background, etc). Plus I like 2 round gauges, having a bar for tachometer in Sport+ would be weird to me. Happy to save the money and skip it.
IIRC, it does interface with the GPS according to some published docs. That's probably why nav is bundled with it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
IIRC, it does interface with the GPS according to some published docs. That's probably why nav is bundled with it.
I had a Supra 2.8 many years back with the digital dash, it was cool looking and something very rare. these days with the Sync 3 and most cars having advanced displays, there is no WOW factor. it's nice, but does not WOW me.
I like the Ground-Speed dials on the 15,

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
That would be great if that's the case. Didn't see anything about it in the owner's manual and you'd think somebody would have shown it off by now on video.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I think the digital dash itself looks good, but I'm not a fan of the open circular bezels. It just looks like something is missing.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I like it although I think it's an odd design behind the current generation cluster trim.

Sponsored

B4Sunrise

Team play is essential
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Having the RPM bigger is a nice gimmick, but they really should show more use of the digital dash like the huge map in audi/vw digital cockpit. For driving around the city I don't really care about how huge the RPM display is...

Also, the Mustang can't be taken as a lead car for putting digital clusters into cheaper cars, since the VW Golf and the also new VW Polo also have that (and it's not bound to an expensive package there). :shrug:
Now that they area is completely led, they can do those things with only a software update. I am mixed as to whether I want the digital dash or not, I am leaning towards it for resale when the time comes...

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I hope we can retrofit it...
The dash looks the same, I would bet a retrofit is possible. It may however be rather expensive. I just upgraded my 15 Mustang and my wifes 15 Edge Sport to Sync 3, so a tinker trial may be needed.

As for the tach color at high RPM's, my 15 does that now.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
That would be great if that's the case. Didn't see anything about it in the owner's manual and you'd think somebody would have shown it off by now on video.
It was mentioned with no other context in a bullet point about the features available on the 12" cluster. Page 81 of the esourcebook;

Information on Demand in the center of the cluster displays
vehicle information like TPMS, fuel economy trip computer, navigation and performance settings (TrackApps)

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
I'm with the others on hoping for retrofitting options... I have faith that someone here will jump in the pool of trying to make it work.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Now that they area is completely led, they can do those things with only a software update. I am mixed as to whether I want the digital dash or not, I am leaning towards it for resale when the time comes...
They could do a software update to the current Gen to include a digital speedometer, but they refuse to. Built in obsolesce.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I wish Ford would update their systems to include MY18 parts so I can know exactly how much they are going to screw us over on standalone part pricing for the cluster...

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I can see being able to display more stuff with a screen but I don't think it will display radio info or navigation stuff so kinda moot point.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
The real question I have is, whey the hell is he moving the steering wheel around like he's driving while parked.

On a side note, the dash seems to have a built in shift light. Very nice.
Probably the Adaptive Cruise Control. The 350 has the Shift Lights. You'd think that with software you can configure for either, but Ford is keeping them separate. Same for the Digital Speed. It is programmed into the 350 Cluster.

Cost of a Cluster is around $650 plus Core Exchange, or else $500 if you don't send in your Core. They also need the Odometer Reading to Program into the new Cluster.

Problem with using the 350 Cluster is that although you get Digital Speed, you lose other Options, such as Mode Switch Functions and My Color. Also reeks havoc with the Driver's side Door Open Tone always going off.

Another problem, the 350 Cluster has no LEDs on the Circuit Board for Backlighting the PRNDS for Automatic Transmissions. The 350 has a Blank Overlay in this area.

I'm guessing the Electronic Cluster will start at $1000 plus Core Charge. The 18 has so many other features, that Software may be as large a problem as with the 350.

It may, however, allow simpler integration of the Aluminator XS52 Engine from Ford Performance.

Last edited:

jman3350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 in Torch Red w/ Auto
I was kind of excited for the digital display but seeing it here kind of killed my hype. It's still cool, I hope the camera messed it up or something because right now it just seems kind of slow/uninteresting. Hopefully it'll be improved for release and that was just an early model.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Meh.

Pure frippery to me. I prefer good old analog dials that you can read at a glance.
Sponsored