OP

CoolTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltechllc.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford GT - Tungsten Garage Queen
... cooling wasn't added because Ford's track testing didn't suggest it was necessary. Now, if you're doing enduro style driving (90+ minute stints), you might increase pad life with some cooling, but the braking performance is not temperature limited.
Sorry we don't get over to this forum very often. Regrettably, we don't have a GT350 and have not been able to get test data on the deflectors we sell - but there should be no doubt that airflow over the rotors is improved. Further, airflow is a key ingredient in cooling so the only question is "how much" do these help. Well, Ford themselves saw fit to put these (plastic version) deflectors on the normal GT's but not on the 350/350R's. Just take a look underneath your car the next time you have the opportunity. There's a lot or air routing bits already there and we believe the product we offer is aptly named - it's intended to complete what Ford "started". It's hard to convince Ford management to spend money on components - especially ones you can't see.... but someone sure did the justification to get these on the Mustang GT's. Sure, proper brake ducts is the best way to go, but there should be no doubt (by Ford's own engineering) that the deflectors have some heat reduction benefits - the yield being twofold; longer pad life and improved headroom (time) on brake fluid boiling.
Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Sorry we don't get over to this forum very often. Regrettably, we don't have a GT350 and have not been able to get test data on the deflectors we sell - but there should be no doubt that airflow over the rotors is improved. Further, airflow is a key ingredient in cooling so the only question is "how much" do these help. Well, Ford themselves saw fit to put these (plastic version) deflectors on the normal GT's but not on the 350/350R's. Just take a look underneath your car the next time you have the opportunity. There's a lot or air routing bits already there and we believe the product we offer is aptly named - it's intended to complete what Ford "started". It's hard to convince Ford management to spend money on components - especially ones you can't see.... but someone sure did the justification to get these on the Mustang GT's. Sure, proper brake ducts is the best way to go, but there should be no doubt (by Ford's own engineering) that the deflectors have some heat reduction benefits - the yield being twofold; longer pad life and improved headroom (time) on brake fluid boiling.
I think the major difference is that the GT vs. GT350/R braking system is completely different. The GT350's braking system was spec'd to handle basically non-stop lapping without overheating on stock components, and it achieves that. The limiting factor is pad life. The rotor is a massive heat sink and the floating design enables thermal expansion without transmission of a lot of heat into the hub.

Over-cooling brakes is just as big an issue as overheated brakes. It leads to shorter rotor life, less pad bite, and in extreme cases, rotor cracking. As I said, I'm sure those running aftermarket pads that generate more friction than the stock pads might benefit from some cooling, but those running stock pads on the GT350 aren't likely to need it. I could be wrong, of course. I'd love to see one car run a few sessions with and without cooling on the same track on the same day and measure pad wear and braking performance over session time. Could be valuable.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I see this is an older post but did anyone test these? I had no issue with brake fade on track and I know they are designed to take heat but, after one session I could not get within a foot of the wheels on the car.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I see this is an older post but did anyone test these? I had no issue with brake fade on track and I know they are designed to take heat but, after one session I could not get within a foot of the wheels on the car.
I have the CoolTech's and the Vorshlag deflectors. I've run with them and without them and the brakes run cooler with them. That said, it's more about pad life than anything else.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm still playing with mine, but I find my Vorshlag-inspired deflectors to over cool my race pads. I will likely on a plate that ensures I'm not overcooling the inside of the rotor

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I'm still playing with mine, but I find my Vorshlag-inspired deflectors to over cool my race pads. I will likely on a plate that ensures I'm not overcooling the inside of the rotor
I ran spring mountain east course. When I pulled in and went to take of the valve stem cap (not thinking), I burned my finger. A foot away from the wheel and I could not hold my hand there for very long. Having had several race cars, I have never felt this before,

BLKMGK350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
I have been reading quite a lot about this and was ready to crank up the plasma and tig and follow a similar path with the direct hose line design honeybadger did since all the kits said no magnaride, but paused once I saw these deflector coolers and Vorshlags' and what their testing said. While Vorshlags' deflectors are basically the same they look a little larger and they have done the testing on 6 different road courses as stated on their site. Over a 6 mo. period during track use they had the hard 4" ducted hose line cooler kit on one side and this type of deflector cooler on the other side. In their words concerning the deflector cooler kit:
" It works surprisingly well. And they work better than our 4" ducted hose brake cooling." I've got no dog in this hunt. I'm just passing along information as I'm trying to find the best solution for my needs and if it takes less fab time or even no fab time to get it, so be it.
Vorshlag then went on to say in their testing: "We would measure rotor temperatures side to side, and the biggest deflector we designed with just the basic undertray tunnel was always cooler, usually by at least 100°F. These provide MASSIVE amounts of airflow - when the wheels are straight - and won out over the 4" ducted hose in every test."
So, by their testing the deflector works better is what I am reading. I know honeybadger designed and built a ducted hose line kit early on and from what I read above now also has a deflector type as well. I would be very interested to see what he settles on and his thoughts between these two types of designs and their effectiveness on the GT350. I know he knows this car well and I know the track he runs at often. It pushes brakes HARD so cooling them is not a bad thing in my mind. I've run that track and I would not have minded some myself. That's the hottest I've seen my brakes and my home track is not exactly easy on them. So I was a little surprised to see him say he thought the deflectors were over-cooling the pads and rotors? Hope there is more to come on this.

You can read what Vorshlag said about their deflector and the testing here:
https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...cts/vorshlag-s550-brake-cooling-deflector-kit

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I read the same info. I would order them but they already charged me for Caster/Camber plates in September and I have not seen them Yet. Im not in dire need but their communication is poor. I have call twice and they say they are being built next week. That was in October and November.

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
I noticed recently that Verus is also offering a deflector kit, but I haven’t seen anyone using it.

BLKMGK350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
@svttim Yea, I was by no means suggesting to order those, just showing that someone has provided some real life data, or maybe I should say info, as to what has seemed to work more efficiently to cool. Kevin, "honeybadger" is on this as well and hopefully we will hear back from him, as I trust his opinion.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I haven't had much bandwidth to continue tweaking my brake deflector setup. My plan this offseason is to add some additional deflector that forces it into the eye of the rotor instead of the knuckle. I believe @ajhartman is working on a solution as well (I'm happy to be a test mule, AJ :)).

I still believe the deflector setup to be overcooling the rotor with my race pads. There's a split second "warm up" period when you get on the brakes hard after a big straight away or extended time at WOT. I don't have brake telemetry to prove it, but it feels like the brakes cool down too much and they .25-.5 second to get back into the optimal operating range.

That said, after running them for a full year, I wouldn't go back to the dedicated ducts on the OEM brake calipers/rotors. They just don't have a wide enough opening into the inside of the rotor to allow sufficient air flow in from the hose setup (OEM knuckle is in the way). I've yet to have an issue with the brakes overheating - even at COTA in 100* heat on racing slicks.

ajhartman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ajhartmanaero.com
Vehicle(s)
99 GT and 2016 GT350
I haven't had much bandwidth to continue tweaking my brake deflector setup. My plan this offseason is to add some additional deflector that forces it into the eye of the rotor instead of the knuckle. I believe @ajhartman is working on a solution as well (I'm happy to be a test mule, AJ :)).

I still believe the deflector setup to be overcooling the rotor with my race pads. There's a split second "warm up" period when you get on the brakes hard after a big straight away or extended time at WOT. I don't have brake telemetry to prove it, but it feels like the brakes cool down too much and they .25-.5 second to get back into the optimal operating range.

That said, after running them for a full year, I wouldn't go back to the dedicated ducts on the OEM brake calipers/rotors. They just don't have a wide enough opening into the inside of the rotor to allow sufficient air flow in from the hose setup (OEM knuckle is in the way). I've yet to have an issue with the brakes overheating - even at COTA in 100* heat on racing slicks.
Yeah, my 3d printed mock up is done. The cool thing about carbon, and unlike anything currently available, is the ability to make shapes metal just cant. This way I can shape them to push air into the rotor hat, and not just the hub area. But like my other post, I have over a dozen parts I want to develop and offer for these things, it just comes down to time.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
AJ - Happy to wait..... your approach sounds interesting.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R

I use the stock pads and Im sure that would be different. I did not loose brake effectiveness but as I said, I could have heated my house for winter after 20 minutes.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Yeah, my 3d printed mock up is done. The cool thing about carbon, and unlike anything currently available, is the ability to make shapes metal just cant. This way I can shape them to push air into the rotor hat, and not just the hub area. But like my other post, I have over a dozen parts I want to develop and offer for these things, it just comes down to time.
Time for some OT AJ
Sponsored