OP

CoolTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltechllc.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford GT - Tungsten Garage Queen
our cars have directional vane rotors which draw in lots of the air from the duct.
Directional vane rotors, while helpful for increased cooling properties, aren't going to "draw in" ANY air from the air ducts.
Sponsored

Honus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT350 Tech
[MENTION=10168]CoolTech[/MENTION] I have been watching you guys since my 2012 Boss. That oil cooler looked to be the one - if you ever work out a transmission cooler solution for the GT350, I'd look hard at it.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Directional vane rotors, while helpful for increased cooling properties, aren't going to "draw in" ANY air from the air ducts.
Are the brakes insufficiently cooled under the current design? If so, based on what and under what conditions? If not, what is the tangible (quantifiable) benefit of the deflectors? Thanks.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Are the brakes insufficiently cooled under the current design? If so, based on what and under what conditions? If not, what is the tangible (quantifiable) benefit of the deflectors? Thanks.
I get why the GT PP has the deflectors, it has no ducting or directional vane rotor. In that set up every little bit counts. The 350 has brake ducting 2 piece rotors with aluminum hat and iron pins for increased heat dissipation/heat transfer and directional vanes. That's quite a bit more than the GT PP therefore justifying the deflector. I see this as a mod that could help but at a negligible amount.

OP
OP

CoolTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltechllc.com
Vehicle(s)
Even when it comes to the GT350/350R, I would still argue that every little bit counts. By track car standards, the GT350/R is massively heavy and the heat generated from slowing the beast is enormous. Are *most* owners going to notice any difference... or, stated differently, is there anything inherently deficient in the current setup for the way that 90%+ of the owners will use their cars? Nope. However, for an intermediate to advanced track driver, you DO want every trick you can have to help keep the brakes cool - forestalling brake fade and improving pad performance.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Even when it comes to the GT350/350R, I would still argue that every little bit counts. By track car standards, the GT350/R is massively heavy and the heat generated from slowing the beast is enormous. Are *most* owners going to notice any difference... or, stated differently, is there anything inherently deficient in the current setup for the way that 90%+ of the owners will use their cars? Nope. However, for an intermediate to advanced track driver, you DO want every trick you can have to help keep the brakes cool - forestalling brake fade and improving pad performance.
Drive pretty hard and haven't experienced or heard of brake fade issues. So, I likely fit into that 90+%. I'll wait for some more definitive research. Thanks much.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
This is a easy test.
At the very minimum, find a stretch of road that's clear. Drive up to 60mph and apply the brakes hard in 120' distance (use cones so the stopping distance is consistent) When the car comes to a complete stop use a IR temp gun and measure the rotor temp. Do this for before and after duct install. If the temps are noticeable less with the ducts on this simple text you'll know it'll be more so on a track.

Do 3 hard stops without the ducts and record the temp readings.
Than
Do 3 hard stops with the ducts and record the temp readings.

This would prove it all.

OP
OP

CoolTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltechllc.com
Vehicle(s)
We are members at Spring Mountain Motorsports so we do spend time at the track when not racing in NASA. Hopefully in the not too distant future we'll have an occasion to get our GT350R friend out to the track with us and we can record some brake temps across sessions.

Off to 25 Hours of Thunderhill tomorrow where my son is driving this event for the first time... Weather looks great and it should be a good time!

Last edited:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
We are members at Spring Mountain Motorsports so we do spend time at the track when not racing in NASA. Hopefully in the not too distant future we'll have an occasion to get our GT350 friend out to the track with us and we can record some brake temps across sessions.

Off to 25 Hours of Thunderhill tomorrow where my son is driving this event for the first time... Weather looks great and it should be a good time!
Be safe and have fun brother!
Ps. Please don't take any of our post personal.
This is not meant to offend you.

tekyguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Has anyone been using these cooling shields with any improvements? Did cool tech every come back with any test results? Thanks!

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Has anyone been using these cooling shields with any improvements? Did cool tech every come back with any test results? Thanks!
These won't make a noticeable difference. Lots of folks tested them in the beginning, but no one seemed to be able to measure the difference. Gotta get some real ducting in there

20190505_003311.jpg
20190422_163125.jpg

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have them, my brakes stay cooler than anyone else on the track without them. They are worth the money imo.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
A couple weeks ago I was at the track with a friend who works for FP. He noticed the untapped bosses on my GT350R arms and texted the guy who designed the braking system. The response came back that they weren't tapped and cooling wasn't added because Ford's track testing didn't suggest it was necessary. Now, if you're doing enduro style driving (90+ minute stints), you might increase pad life with some cooling, but the braking performance is not temperature limited.

tekyguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
A couple weeks ago I was at the track with a friend who works for FP. He noticed the untapped bosses on my GT350R arms and texted the guy who designed the braking system. The response came back that they weren't tapped and cooling wasn't added because Ford's track testing didn't suggest it was necessary. Now, if you're doing enduro style driving (90+ minute stints), you might increase pad life with some cooling, but the braking performance is not temperature limited.
Thank you for this information!
Sponsored