Sponsored

Cool Convertible Wind Restrictor/Deflector getting released for 15/16 Mustang, YAY!

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
Your mesh deteriorating really surprises me. Do you recall the brand/manufacturer? Anyone else ever have that issue with a mesh windscreen?

I bought a mesh windscreen for my 2000 Sebring around 2002. I used it until I sold it when I got the Mustang last year. Not wanting to spend $450+ for a new mesh one for my Mustang, I have adapted the Sebring one. After 14 years the mesh shows no signs of wear, other than maybe not being quite as dark a black. The only down side is that due to my DIY mounting, I lost the ability to fold it up/down at will. But it is very easy to remove and throw in my trunk. Having the CDC light bar, I do not mind the framed look. ;)
I've owned numerous mesh windcreens and have never had one deteriorate. 2 oem Saab, 1 oem Carrara, 1 oem Audi, and have currently been using "love the drive" for 6g for a year and a half. Used the Audi one for almost 5 years. Burned small hole with cigar ash, but different story. Horizontal over rear seats really cut down on blow back. I particularly liked the Audi one as it folded in half for storage. Still have my spare (new in bag) and surprisingly almost a perfect fit. It too has pop out (l/r) posts at horizontal axis that fit in circular receptacle in rear seat side wall. With some tweaking would fit 6g. Might play with it.
Sponsored

Jay Marcase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vert Eco Prem
Sorry for necro-posting but I’m going to purchase one of these and would like to know if someone can share the back seat experience. Does it minimize or exacerbate the wind flowing to back seat passengers? My son is 5 and when I go over 50 mph he looks miserable. Sunglasses and a hat helps but I hope this can be a better solution.

Thank you.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Since this attaches to the headrests, its a pain getting into/out of the back seats. I had one for a while, and while the cool factor was high, the functionality was not. A lot of the cabin wind comes from the sides, which rolling up the windows resolves. The rest of the wind comes up over the windshield and drops right behind the seat, where it then gets forced back up front between the seats. Even with this wind deflector installed I had a lot of breeze coming between the seats. My guess is back seat passengers will not see relief. I went with the Audi solution and it works great for me, but no rear passengers allowed with that.
I have to imagine the rear seat solution lays with the front windshield. If the very top the windshield can have a flap that pops up about 3 inches at a steeper angle than the glass, it should divert the air high enough that it would come back down on the trunk, not the seats. I've used software simulations to prove me right, but lack the resources to do real world tests.

Jay Marcase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vert Eco Prem
Since this attaches to the headrests, its a pain getting into/out of the back seats. I had one for a while, and while the cool factor was high, the functionality was not. A lot of the cabin wind comes from the sides, which rolling up the windows resolves. The rest of the wind comes up over the windshield and drops right behind the seat, where it then gets forced back up front between the seats. Even with this wind deflector installed I had a lot of breeze coming between the seats. My guess is back seat passengers will not see relief. I went with the Audi solution and it works great for me, but no rear passengers allowed with that.
I have to imagine the rear seat solution lays with the front windshield. If the very top the windshield can have a flap that pops up about 3 inches at a steeper angle than the glass, it should divert the air high enough that it would come back down on the trunk, not the seats. I've used software simulations to prove me right, but lack the resources to do real world tests.
Yeah that's basically what Air Cap does on Mercedes Benzes. Do you think a 5 year will have a problem getting I the backseat with the back of the seat mounted one?. In addition, how bad was it when the passenger seat was scooted more forward than the driver seat?

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
These were for the 5th gen Camaro, it you can find something similar it may work on the Mustang. Not sure if the top would clear it.

3903DA77-0C26-4A51-AB91-EF2FA186C4D3.jpeg

Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Yeah that's basically what Air Cap does on Mercedes Benzes. Do you think a 5 year will have a problem getting I the backseat with the back of the seat mounted one?. In addition, how bad was it when the passenger seat was scooted more forward than the driver seat?
A 5 y.o. shouldn't have a problem, though it will feel like an isolation both for him/her. And if the seats are not perfectly lined up , both up and down and front to back, it really makes the thing look wonky. Another reason I got rid of it.

Jay Marcase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vert Eco Prem
A 5 y.o. shouldn't have a problem, though it will feel like an isolation both for him/her. And if the seats are not perfectly lined up , both up and down and front to back, it really makes the thing look wonky. Another reason I got rid of it.
Ok well that seals the deal for me on the Windrestrictor. There’s a $50 mesh that attaches to the headrest that I’m going to buy on Amazon. Can’t lose only spending $50!

Kenbike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO Mustang GT convertible loaded
I installed LL Bean dog seat protector the covers the gap between the front seat and covers the rear seat completely.
It does a great job of keeping and wind from blowing between the seat and my tow Blue Healer love riding with the top down.
Sponsored