Sponsored

Converting CLEAR tail lights to RED with a vinyl kit

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just respect :headbang:

Now we have to wait and see how durable are these vinyls during the time (rain, washing, sun etc)

P.S. do you have any video during installation?
Sponsored

Dennis_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2.3 Ecoboost - Fastback - Custom Pack - Magnetic
Wow!
Realy nice mod!
Is it 'normal' translucend vinyl? Maybe you know a brandname?

I can search for a glossy version perhaps.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Looking good papinist, might have a go at it as well at some point. One thing that bothers me is the matte vinyl, US spec is gloss.

When I get the chance Ill discuss it with someone I know from the inspection and inform if we are allowed to do this in Belgium, also discuss the sequential tail light turn signals and front drl mods... (just incase :-)

Anyway, it's still puzzles me that Americans want some of our EU spec's and all we want is US spec! Thanks for this cock-up Ford!

Also wondering who will open the first Mustang EU mod shop to solve all our issues!

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Can you explain how you ordered the red tail light covers? On the website it looks like they only carry smoke ones.
Right, they custom made specifically upon my request. However it would not be so difficult, just put red vinyl in machine when cutting :D
Simply contact them via email and ask about that.

That's brilliant, man! I have the same plan for my GT when it arrives, except I would not be happy with matte vinyl, so if anybody has any suggestions re glossy vinyl, I'm listening!

Again, great work! Thanks for confirming that this actually works.
Yeah, I don't know that they would be matte. When I contacted Anchor Room I asked specifically some vinyl to replicate US red tailights appearance, so maybe they have only this type, or they don't understand...
If they (or someone else) will come out with some glossy vinyl (and a little brighter red) I will replace that - it's only a matter of heating with hot air gun, remove vinyl and clean the lens from the residual glue.

[ame]

Just respect :headbang:

Now we have to wait and see how durable are these vinyls during the time (rain, washing, sun etc)

P.S. do you have any video during installation?
I don't know how much they will last, but they are relatively cheap and installation, when practiced, is easy (the most important tool is the hot air gun). So if they worn in a year, I will replace with new vinyl.
I went with vinyl instead of painting because of that, and this way I can always revert to stock :)
I haven't taken a video of mine installing it.. it would be very long!! I never did something like this so I take my time to do it at best: an half afternoon for side markers and the right side, an half evening for the left side and then I was expert and completed the job faster.

This is the installation video from Anchor Room:

[ame]

Wow!
Realy nice mod!
Is it 'normal' translucend vinyl? Maybe you know a brandname?

I can search for a glossy version perhaps.
Don't know the vinyl brand, but I asked Anchor Room a vinyl to change our EU clear tail light in US red tail lights :)

Looking good papinist, might have a go at it as well at some point. One thing that bothers me is the matte vinyl, US spec is gloss.

When I get the chance Ill discuss it with someone I know from the inspection and inform if we are allowed to do this in Belgium, also discuss the sequential tail light turn signals and front drl mods... (just incase :-)

Anyway, it's still puzzles me that Americans want some of our EU spec's and all we want is US spec! Thanks for this cock-up Ford!

Also wondering who will open the first Mustang EU mod shop to solve all our issues!
Yes I prefer glossy but at the moment I received this, and don't want to look at that clear lights again :lol: However you can't notice from a distance - and here no one knows how these lights should be :cool:
Can't see why you can't do this, since the lights remains visible and with the standard color - they are also too bright when stock!

Me too don't understand why there are no dedicated mustang shops in the entire europe :crazy:

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because there were NO Mustangs in Europe. Until now.
So it is a new potential market. ;)

Sponsored

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How safe is the hot air gun for the color? OK for thetail lights, but what about the side markers which are very colse with the color on plastic surface (bumper) ?

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Yes but a wise manager will start a shop BEFORE the first car arrived.. so we won't even look at US shops! How many of us has already ordered from US?

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
How safe is the hot air gun for the color? OK for thetail lights, but what about the side markers which are very colse with the color on plastic surface (bumper) ?
no problem at all, you don't need to cook a pizza :D hot air is needed to soften the vinyl and to melt the glue on the back. It requires very low temperature.

Dennis_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2.3 Ecoboost - Fastback - Custom Pack - Magnetic
I've ordered a set too. Like that red look!

Realy like this!

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
wow! I like very much!

I would be interested in a 'mod' for the 3rd brake light - basically a black bit of vinyl with 'Mustang' or 'V8' cut out so that when you brake, the red light displays a silhouette to all those behind proclaiming some additional info about the car! :)

JB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback
wow! I like very much!

I would be interested in a 'mod' for the 3rd brake light - basically a black bit of vinyl with 'Mustang' or 'V8' cut out so that when you brake, the red light displays a silhouette to all those behind proclaiming some additional info about the car! :)
Isn't the 3rd brake light a little too thin for that? Unless you're talking about the convertible.

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
Isn't the 3rd brake light a little too thin for that? Unless you're talking about the convertible.
Not sure tbh - I've got it on my current car and looks pretty good. Probably about 2cm in height.

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
JB is right: 3rd brake is about 1cm tall, no space for mods!

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
Well done - looks great!
Sponsored