Sponsored

Convertibles: Roll bar required for Solo AutoX?

jimbabwe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Convertible
Hey all, I'm curious for those who AutoX their convertibles if you've been told a roll bar is required or not for F Street? So far, I've been running without one in my local events, but worry about driving long distance for an AutoX, to just be turned away for not having a roll bar installed.

When I read the SCCA rules (copied below), it says for those racing in FM (not FS), a roll bar is required. What's confusing to me is it then goes on to say for open Street cars that the roll bar height may be reduced to fit within the convertible top. Does this mean that a roll bar is still required for FS, or it is still optional?

3.3.2 Roll Bars

Roll bars or roll cages are strongly recommended in all cars. A roll bar
meeting the requirements of Appendix C or a roll cage meeting the requirements of the Club Racing General Competition Rules...is required in all A Modified (AM), ... and F Modified (FM) vehicles and all open cars in Prepared Category, ... For open cars in the Street, Street Touring®, Street Prepared, and Street Modified categories, the roll bar or roll cage height may be reduced from Appendix C or GCR 9.4 requirements to the highest possible height which fits within an installed factory specified hardtop or convertible top. The roll bar or roll cage height may also be reduced in the same manner for cars in the Prepared category with a full original equipment windshield assembly and a standard (as defined herein) hardtop which has been bolted securely in place.

Double-hoop roll bars must fasten properly to the chassis/unibody as required by Appendix C, particularly at attachment points in the center of the car.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, I don't think its required in FS. Just check out all the Miatas and MR2s.

Strongly recommended (on paper... but not required)
Required in AM, FM, and Prepared category cars.
Sponsored