Sponsored

Convertible Windscreen alternative, courtesy of Audi!

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
There has been mention of what's behind the panel in the optimum area for the holes. Thought a picture would help.
What a fantastic upgrade! :)
20200522_155027.jpg
How does the top piece that you’ve removed come off? Does it just pop off or is there screws etc? Also, for the Driver’s side rear interior panel - how does it come off for the convertible top module installation?

I’d love to do this but can’t see to find a decent one at a realistic price right now...

Thanks!!
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
How does the top piece that you’ve removed come off? Does it just pop off or is there screws etc? Also, for the Driver’s side rear interior panel - how does it come off for the convertible top module installation?

I’d love to do this but can’t see to find a decent one at a realistic price right now...

Thanks!!
The top panel just pulls up.
The rear seat bottom has to come out before the side panel. I seem to remember that the side panel just pulls out as well. The SmartTop website has instructions that worked well for me.
Important warning.... Be very careful when reinstalling the top piece. If not done carefully the top will catch it the next time it goes up. It's a horrible, frightening noise and I felt very lucky that nothing got damaged.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Thank you for the warning!!! That’s my luck lol.

WarmFZI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Convertible
I didn't remove the side piece, just the top. I don't recall how the top comes off, so have to go with Radtech on it just prying up :)

MR YUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Convertible
I'm 6'2" and I checked the seat room before settling on the drill location. I can't put my seat in the position your describing. You could drill back farther and have the back of the screen sit higher on the seat belts. If you look at my picture, I would have had to go back quite a bit to miss the stuff behind the panel.
Thanks for your feedback. You're just a little feller. I'm 6'7". I look out the top three inches of the windshield. Now you know why I have a convertible. 😆 I guess I will live with the way it is for now.

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Thought I'd post here before selling mine another way. I'm the guy who posted how-to with measurements for the Audi screen. I've sold my car and will happily sell my windscreen. Its in Excellent condition with OEM bag.

PM me if you want 1 at a reasonable price.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Thought I'd post here before selling mine another way. I'm the guy who posted how-to with measurements for the Audi screen. I've sold my car and will happily sell my windscreen. Its in Excellent condition with OEM bag.

PM me if you want 1 at a reasonable price.
PM sent!

What are you moving into car wise?

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
PM sent!

What are you moving into car wise?
Replied.

This for now. I'm looking to buy a dealership/performance/customization shop and if so will get an entire fleet of fun toys to drive.

20200723_122440.jpg

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Sweet ride!

JBar28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost 'Vert
I got an Audi windscreen from eBay last week and installed it today. 45 degrees and sunny is a nice day for January in Ohio! After lots of testing it seems my preferred seat position had the seat back in the way of the ideal location for the screen.

After checking to make sure the support behind the panel wasn't in the way, I started by drilling the pilot holes (about 1/8"). It was very close to the inner support. The 7/16" holes work fine for the Audi screen, but I don't really have room to drill out to 9/16 and use the grommets because of what's behind the panel. Be sure you check before you drill by lifting up on the seat belt cover pieces.
IMG_20210121_132343573.jpg

I ended up going with slightly different measurements for each side, to clear the driver's seat back when it pulls back for easy exit. Driver's side hole is 1" down from the top seam in the side panel, and 2" back from the edge of the seat belt opening. Passenger side is also 1" down but only 1-5/8" back, so 3/8" farther forward than on the driver's side. So now I guess I'm slightly out of square, been that way most of my life more or less.

IMG_20210121_132920701.jpg

The back seat holds the screen in place, the fold out legs don't really do anything on my car.
IMG_20210121_133917611.jpg

IMG_20210121_133943171.jpg

I took a quick drive to test it out and really like it. I didn't happen to bring a napkin along for the "napkin test" mentioned above, but I had a disposable face mask, so that's my 2020 equivalent. With the windows up, it didn't move at all at freeway speeds. With the side windows down it would have blown out sooner or later. Sunny and 46 degrees was comfortable in a light jacket and hat. Got some funny looks but who cares!

Overall VERY happy with this, and happy that it can be stashed in my trunk if need be, unlike the LTD unit which I read doesn't fit in a car with the Shaker subwoofer. Plus I LOVE the price! Thanks to all who have updated this thread.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I don't think more than a couple of people have used the exact same measurements. I feel like that is part of the appeal of this screen that you can adjust it to fit your preferences.
I finally took mine out after about 8 months. I bought something that I thought would fit in the trunk. I was wrong and had to put the screen in the trunk and the box in the back seat. Pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to with the Love screen.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Sunny and 46 degrees was comfortable in a light jacket and hat. Got some funny looks but who cares!
Was out for a top down drive last weekend with my wife (who asked if it was okay to put the top down). It was 3C (37F). Quite comfortable, and didn’t notice any looks!

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Was out for a top down drive last weekend with my wife (who asked if it was okay to put the top down). It was 3C (37F). Quite comfortable, and didn’t notice any looks!
Nice!
Toronto even! Do you have the windscreen set up as well?
I’m just west of you...

Hollywood29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost Premium Convertible
Well just got one thru eBay for under $200 delivered. Price way better then everything else I have seen. Will play with it and figure out the mountings and will post pictures if I come up with alternative ideas from what has been posted

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Just got it installed.

Yes. Measure 3 times drill once!

Looks great! Haven’t been able to test it out yet though...

A08782A3-FB0C-4CF3-9B45-0B9F52FA85DA.jpeg

D54B034F-9C5B-417D-B233-9F977F2235D8.jpeg

1CAD742B-F6E8-46D8-BD08-8C048F855FE6.jpeg
Sponsored