Sponsored

Convertible Windscreen alternative, courtesy of Audi!

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
I went on yukbay last night and searched for the windscreen, plenty out there but many had tears in the screens so you need to look carefully at the images. Seems as if most people are good about showing images of the tears. I found one in what looked like mint condition cheaper than most, it was just listed so I jumped on it. After I purchased it I noticed it said R8 not A4 but the part number was the same (I think).

I purchased 8HO 862 953C, is that correct? I sure hope so.

This is my first modern convertible and even without a windscreen I'm amazed at how quiet the car is and the minimal wind. If this thing really works like you all say it does I'm in for a real treat.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
I went on yukbay last night and searched for the windscreen, plenty out there but many had tears in the screens so you need to look carefully at the images. Seems as if most people are good about showing images of the tears. I found one in what looked like mint condition cheaper than most, it was just listed so I jumped on it. After I purchased it I noticed it said R8 not A4 but the part number was the same (I think).

I purchased 8HO 862 953C, is that correct? I sure hope so.

This is my first modern convertible and even without a windscreen I'm amazed at how quiet the car is and the minimal wind. If this thing really works like you all say it does I'm in for a real treat.
That looks to be the right one. They have an A, B and C variant which all appear to simply be revisions. I believe I also have the C variant, which worked just fine. My measurements were not quite the same as those previous posters noted they used for the drilling, but it fits pretty well.

...and yes, it is amazing!

ScottM_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertible
You will love it. I rarely put it down but when I do and I forget to put the screen back up in the morning I can really feel the difference, maybe 50% of the wind is cut with it up. It makes for a much more comfortable drive, love it.

MAD MATT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Grabbed one from Ebay and just installed it last night. Drove to work with the top+windows down and screen up this morning. It is 38 degrees F here, so that is a new low temp record for me. I haven't had the car for that long so I can't really say how much of a difference it makes with out a proper A/B comparison. The quality of the Audi assembly is top notch, but I don't like the way the rear tangs sit on the seat belt. They are likely high glass content plastic and will likely wear the webbing over the long term. I am thinking of pushing a couple of lengths of rubber hose over the tangs that support the rear of the screen. Those can then fit into the holes in the trim over the seat belt. This is similar to the copper pipe solution, but they have some give to them to prevent the tangs from breaking if it gets some kind of impact, and hopefully they will be flexible enough to fit into the bag without taking them off.

Sponsored

MAD MATT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my install. I drilled holes directly below the end of the seat belt slot. I used a broom stick to locate it vertically with the goal of it being flush with the side trim when folded down. I am in the same boat as everyone else as far as the belts go for now.
20200305_140302.jpg
20200305_140313.jpg
20200305_140324.jpg
20200305_140351.jpg

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
I mounted mine further back and a bit higher so the seatbelts loop over the folded-closed rear legs.

Boulderbob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost Premium Convertible, Cobb stage 1, Steeda CAI, NXT axle back exhaust, Ford 2.3HP strut tower brace
Thanks for all the great info on this topic guys. I bought one on EBay and installed it so that the extended rear legs rest on the top of the rear seatbelts, and the rear frame rests against the rear seat backs. I wrapped some black electric tape around the legs so that they would not chafe the seat belt webbing.
The deflector makes a huge difference, my wife is so happy that she does not have to wear a ball cap anymore!
3201BF66-6E98-4D87-B8B2-2F212FD28E6D.jpeg
4436FB7C-7F11-4564-A638-1EE18A805556.jpeg

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the great info on this topic guys. I bought one on EBay and installed it so that the extended rear legs rest on the top of the rear seatbelts, and the rear frame rests against the rear seat backs. I wrapped some black electric tape around the legs so that they would not chafe the seat belt webbing.
The deflector makes a huge difference, my wife is so happy that she does not have to wear a ball cap anymore!
3201BF66-6E98-4D87-B8B2-2F212FD28E6D.jpeg
4436FB7C-7F11-4564-A638-1EE18A805556.jpeg
Hey, do you mind giving the measurement for where you drilled the holes? I did mine a little too far forward for my liking, so the headrests touch it if you recline even a little bit. It also barely touches the seatbelt area on the back with the extensions. I'd like to redrill it closer to the way you have yours fit so it sits further back and a little higher.

Thanks!

Boulderbob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost Premium Convertible, Cobb stage 1, Steeda CAI, NXT axle back exhaust, Ford 2.3HP strut tower brace
Brian, The center of the holes I drilled are 1.875” back from the end of the seatbelt notch, and 3/4” below the seam. I used a 27/64” bit, which gives a snug fit on the rods. Good luck, hopefully this works for you.

Sponsored

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Brian, The center of the holes I drilled are 1.875” back from the end of the seatbelt notch, and 3/4” below the seam. I used a 27/64” bit, which gives a snug fit on the rods. Good luck, hopefully this works for you.
Thanks a ton for the quick reply! I'm gonna try these locations and plug the original holes with rubber stoppers.

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
Finally got mine delivered, USPS lost the package but it got to me unharmed. I installed it using a 9/16" bit and the 3/4" grommets. I probably could have drilled the holes a little farther back but it worked out fine. I think I will used some pex tubing to put over the support rods and slide them into the rear seat belt slot.

I drove it around town today, 39Âş but sunny. It definitely made a difference cruising around the neighborhood, I was very happy with the results. As I was headed back home just for grins I thought I would jump on the expressway just to see if I noticed any difference on there Holy cow, a huge difference, I couldn't believe how much less wind there is at higher speeds. It was also the first time I really opened it up on the on ramp - was stunned how fast I hit 70.

Here is is installed

60529873284__8CEF472A-62C0-47DE-825A-E4C7C503CAFF.JPG

Peg holes

peg hole.jpg

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Is the wind that big of a problem......I haven't noticed it in mine but haven't been on the Interstate either??:sunglasses:

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Is the wind that big of a problem......I haven't noticed it in mine but haven't been on the Interstate either??:sunglasses:
Actually no problem at all. Matter of fact I can't believe how much less airflow gets into the car as is compared to my 1970 442 convertible. With the windscreen it is even less. It helps keep the top down into colder temps. The heat stays in and you still get the top down experience even with the windows down. What it also helps is being able to hear the passenger speak as well as minimizing which ever female in my family is in the passenger's seat from getting their hair blown out of control - all pluses.

Would you need this, no. But I found a mint one with storage bag very cheap on ebay so I would say if you go that route its an added bonus to enjoying this car that much more.

MAD MATT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind you are in SC and I am in MI. I was just running around with the top down at 49 degrees.
Sponsored