Convertible vs Fastback on track or just spirited drives

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
KeyLime, I hear you. I had planned on a drop top but just wanted to see what folks thought after having one. I had a convertible '66, a Miata and a P GPS convertible. A manual is also a must on my list. Listening to the exhaust sound with the top down is a pleasure.
Just saying if you're not looking for a total knee workout with the manual the A10 is no slouch. I had a great track season with mine, no issues and still fast shifting. Plus you can go manual in Sport+ just paddles instead of a stick.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Getting older and knee issues force many to the A10. When I was building my '66 was planning on a T5 but had achilles issues and had to change plans in middle of build to a Lentech AOD. Like the quick very positive shifts but still missed the manual. There are many who love the A10. For quickest times they can not be beat. I have heard with a tune that the A10 gear searching can be dialed back or away.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Getting older and knee issues force many to the A10. When I was building my '66 was planning on a T5 but had achilles issues and had to change plans in middle of build to a Lentech AOD. Like the quick very positive shifts but still missed the manual. There are many who love the A10. For quickest times they can not be beat. I have heard with a tune that the A10 gear searching can be dialed back or away.
I read in some threads here that some folks that had harsh shift or seeking issues were fixed with Ford doing a complete "update" on the A10 program. fwiw.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Gone, still planning on a manual. At 76 still love to row through the gears and my achilles issues are hopefully behind me. Last year. I had a '20 Miata manual and it was no problem so hoping all will be good with the Mustang GT.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Keep in mind that the verts have a better front/rear weight ratio, which is why their rear sway bar will be slightly smaller on the PP1 and regular models.

If you want to tighten up a vert, use a sway bar from a PP1 coupe.

You will feel the rear end working more and less plowing. That's what I did when I upgraded my suspension to a PP1. Now, it is one of the few 2015 GT Verts anywhere with a PP1 suspension.

CVCashmere

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Carl,
Thanks for the info. If I find the right one without the Performance add ons was planning on adding myself. I think it would really help settle the chassis down.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind that the verts have a better front/rear weight ratio, which is why their rear sway bar will be slightly smaller on the PP1 and regular models.

If you want to tighten up a vert, use a sway bar from a PP1 coupe.

You will feel the rear end working more and less plowing. That's what I did when I upgraded my suspension to a PP1. Now, it is one of the few 2015 GT Verts anywhere with a PP1 suspension.

CVCashmere
Wonder if the Steeda upgrade sway bars are even better? I'm swapping out my sways for them this year.

Canadian Crimson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP1 Royal Crimson
Carl,
Thanks for the info. If I find the right one without the Performance add ons was planning on adding myself. I think it would really help settle the chassis down.
I didnt care about the Magnaride or the AE. But PP1 and the 401a were must haves on mine as well as a 6spd. Took me almost a year to find one but it was worth the wait.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
The performance pack would be nice as want the lower rear end ratio. If I find the perfect vehicle without the Performance pack would change the rear end most likely to 4:10.
Prefer the ratio of the 2017 much better. I understand that Ford was concerned about the mpg but me not so much and would rather have the acceleration with lower gears.

inboundnebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Inbound
Vehicle(s)
None
I read in some threads here that some folks that had harsh shift or seeking issues were fixed with Ford doing a complete "update" on the A10 program. fwiw.
Was wondering about that. Got my 2023 GT Premium convertible a couple of months ago and notice hard shifts between 2-3 on Sport+ mode only (works fine in comfort).

inboundnebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Inbound
Vehicle(s)
None
Manual, Active exhaust and Magneride are priorities however finding those in a convertible are not easy.
This is almost the way I spec'd mine (custom order), with the caveat that I went with the A10 (added GT performance package + Magneride + Active exhaust). It's truly a lovely vehicle and handling is superb (yet comfy, coming from a MX5 RF)

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Inbound, interesting as I sold a 2020 MX 5 soft top last fall.
I would imagine most Mustang suspension setups are softer than the Miata.
Do miss the corner carving that the MX5 can do but looking for more room and comfort.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Well, decided on a vert and started to do a deep dive on locating a S550 Premium vert with 401A and Manual. Could not believe there was no one in my entire SE region.
There were two available however before we could move on them Shelby America took them for upfitting. If I had known several months ago what I know now I would have ordered one. So kinda in a holding pattern as do not want a S650 due to changes in looks.
There are a few coupes but no verts in manual available. Now I can get an auto but just do not like the issues "some" are having. if I have an issue with the MT82 I can have it rebuilt by Calimer for $5 grand but to go through and rebuild the 10R80 is a lot of cash.
Sponsored