Sponsored

Convertible top needs replaced already - 7k miles... without warranty, a $17,000 fix!

KeiRodez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertible w/PP
I haven't been having the best of luck with my Ecoboost premium convertible.

There have been MULTIPLE on-going issues with the convertible top.

Not long after I bought my Mustang after waiting months for it to arrive - the one day I went to put the top down and heard this snapping sound and then saw something fly past my head on to the floor. One of the trim pieces near the driver side window completely broke under pressure. :(

-- Took it in to the dealer, they ordered a new trim piece and installed it.
Not a month later - SNAP! The trim piece flies off while lowering the top.
In the meantime while I was looking to see that the same trim piece broke off, I notice the convertible cloth headliner on the inside was worn so bad there was a hole in it, not only on the driver's side, but the passenger side as well.
While inspecting the rest of the top, I notice that yet another issue arose because the back window would flop around when you would put a window down while driving and air would rush in the cabin. I figured this slightly normal for a convertible, but I thought I'd mention it when I took it in to the dealer for the trim piece AGAIN and the top wearing though. :rant:

-- Low and behold the dealer tells me there is a TSB for the back window brace breaking, so they ordered a new kit to fix that part before moving to the other issues.
Mechanic went install the kit to fix the back window - bam - it broke while at the dealer! Dealer ordered a second kit, went to install it, bam. It broke again.
So in the meantime they contacted Ford awaiting for their response about what to do - Ford responded by telling them to replace the entire top.

Not sure if I'm keen about my brand new Ecoboost being torn apart, but I figured it had to be done. So the dealer puts me back in my car for the week until the new convertible top arrived.

-- Dropped my car off two days ago. Just received a phone call from the dealer stating they are going to need more parts than they thought, so I will be without my car for about 8 days until they think they can have it finished.
They also gave me a fun fact in that if I was paying for this repair without a warranty is would cost roughly $17,000!
Thankfully they did provide a rental for me to drive at no cost, but STILL! :doh:

So with all these issues with just the convertible top, these didn't even include

1. The bumper they had to paint and touch up because of the tail light rubbing due to bad alignment from the factory

2. Having to repaint the trunk lid corner because the paint was rubbing through where it kept making contact to the tail light

3. Having to fix the paint in the driver's side door jam

4. Fixing the cold startup problem where black smoke would blow out of the exhaust (there was a TSB for this)

5. Fixing both air conditioned seats because the back part would not cool whatsoever (there was a TSB for this)

So all in all, I believe my Mustang has been the shop for over two weeks total since I've owned it.
It's really disappointing because I do love the car! But the quality control from the factory is absolutely HORRIBLE!
I'm interested to see how everything is when I go to get my car back next week... Hopefully no more headaches! :frusty:

UPDATE: The back window brace is still coming un-done up to this point, the trim piece is still snapping off, and the headliner (on the second replaced headliner) is ripping through.
I was told during my most recent visit to the dealership that this is normal and there is nothing that can be done.
So, I take it to another dealership and the service person tells me that something is certainly wrong with my convertible - we scheduled an appointment for them later to contact me and say they can't work on my convertible due to conflict of interest of the other dealership working on it and nothing can be done.
Frustrated, I contact my lawyer for lemon law and he states to me that dealer #2 denying to service my car is not legal and that they most likely are just trying to keep out of the mess.
I took it to another dealer last week and they said there is no way my convertible is normal. They are going to look at it in a few days, so I'm curious what the outcome of this will be....

To be continued....
Sponsored

Last edited:

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Wow man that sucks, I would seriously want a new car after all that. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
... They also gave me a fun fact in that if I was paying for this repair without a warranty is would cost roughly $17,000!
$17000 ? :shocked:

I didn't read the whole posting of what's involved but that number is a nearly the price of a whole car. So if that fails after the warranty, the car is totaled? :crazy: :paddle:

yellowragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 mustang conv
Note to the OP

To the OP: If you go to you tube, there are a few videos showing the process of removing/installing a convertible top.

I strongly suggest you let the dealer have as long as they want to replace the top on your car. Even if they try to reuse the same headliner, there exist probably 200 screws that they have to remove, then replace. The only place who should be changing the top is a "top notch" shop that specializes in changing convertible tops.

In theory, it would be interesting if they can change the top without removing the backseat or the rear panels.

Here is a video with someone (BRAVE) replacing the "old fashioned" kind of top used on a 2001 Mustang. But the newer mustangs have a top that folds like a Z-shape. I am very impressed that you "willfully" are letting them change the convertible top. Please keep us posted about what happens later. The 2011-2013 camaro convertible had it's own convertible top problem for which a rear bow kept breaking, and water kept pouring from the back well onto the floor of the inside of the car. So it is not just a mustang having to deal with issues. GOOD LUCK !

[ame]

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang GT convertible
My '07 had a top problem and they replaced the entire assembly with a new one from the factory. I actually did it myself because I wanted to be sure it was done right and it was just a matter or removing the rear seat and side trim panels (easy), then unbolting the entire assembly and reinstalling the new one. It's essentially the same process they use at the factory, i.e. they receive an entire finished assembly from the supplier, drop it into the car, and install the trim around it. If that's what's being done to your car, you should be fine. If, however, they're tearing down the finished top assembly, replacing parts within, and making other mods I'd be concerned because I'm sure they're techs at the dealership aren't skilled in that kind of work.

Sponsored

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
lemon law

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
when did OP buy the car? I think lemon law coverage is one year.

OP
OP
KeiRodez

KeiRodez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My '07 had a top problem and they replaced the entire assembly with a new one from the factory. I actually did it myself because I wanted to be sure it was done right and it was just a matter or removing the rear seat and side trim panels (easy), then unbolting the entire assembly and reinstalling the new one. It's essentially the same process they use at the factory, i.e. they receive an entire finished assembly from the supplier, drop it into the car, and install the trim around it. If that's what's being done to your car, you should be fine. If, however, they're tearing down the finished top assembly, replacing parts within, and making other mods I'd be concerned because I'm sure they're techs at the dealership aren't skilled in that kind of work.
They actually did sent it to a specialty shop nearby that can do convertibles which makes me have a little more peace of mind. Still in my rental at the moment with no updates. As far as I know they are replacing the entire top - frame and all! So hopefully that will help. That sounds a little scary if they were to just mod some of it.

OP
OP
KeiRodez

KeiRodez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
when did OP buy the car? I think lemon law coverage is one year.
I live in PA and bought it on April 20th 2015. So I've had it for about 10 months so far. It's really frustrating seeing as the sticker price of the car was $41,000. :mad: Can Ford give me some compensation for all of this hassle I've been through? It's been over a half of month I've been without my car. :(

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I live in PA and bought it on April 20th 2015. So I've had it for about 10 months so far. ... It's been over a half of month I've been without my car. :(
You still have time to investigate lemon law. I think its 30 days cumulative over the first year

[ame]

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
even if they do fix it within the next two weeks, 17000 is a very big number. I would be really tempted to trade it for a regular / non-convertible

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
17000 seems unrealistic. OP might call an independent shop that does convertible tops to get a better number.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Wow $17,000 for a vert-top sounds ridiculous, I paid $27,700 for my 2015 Cyclone vert and that was with all the options available. Maybe that dealer's labor costs could be that high, or the service manager exaggerated to make you feel like you were getting some great "warranty deal"! I would definitely explore Lemon Law options though.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I don't have a convertible, but I was curious and called an independent shop, a random shop located in CA that showed up on google search. yelp 5-star, 71 reviews. I got a rough estimate on a 2014 Mustang, as to not be too conspicuous, and got quoted around $1250, installed. No idea where 17000 comes from.
Sponsored