Convertible top maintenance

JCFoster

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I'm thinking that the mfgs of the top fabric along with Ford requirements far exceeds the performance of an off the shelf coating that's not proven compatible with the top fabric chemical composition.....anyone have any thoughts on this?
I agree, my top is five years old. The stuff others use to make it more repellent isn’t required.
Advertisement

Intrepid175

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I agree, my top is five years old. The stuff others use to make it more repellent isn’t required.
May not be absolutely required but my experience suggests to me that it's not hurting anything and I like the fact that it helps the fabric shed water. I can't imagine that being a bad thing. Ultimately, only time will tell.

Johnnybee

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
For me the extra repellancy is worth the application. My first couple of winters I had done the top late in the fall and it shed the salt very well. For 20/21 I didn’t get to it and relied on the mid-summer application. Did not work nearly as well and I had salt staining to deal with in the spring. This year I made sure I got two coats on close together, the last one in October, as I expect to be back in the office in the new year and back to typical exposure. I feel it helps for this, dirt and bird poop. I’m not really putting it on for water. I guess it depends on what everybody’s car is exposed to as to the value of these products.

Ponykixx

Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
When I had a 2014 ‘Vert GT, I used some stuff called “RaggTop” . They make a cleaner and a protector. And a lot of pro detailers use 100% horsehair brushes to clean or brush the top- and guess what? The KIWI shoe brush you can find in just about any dept store is 100% horsehair. FWIW
https://www.autogeek.net/racotopcakit.html

F6643BD2-6ED3-4C5A-B5F4-0E51502F1722.jpeg

#1ford

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
Normal or not

AE5C26EB-BBE8-4821-AFC9-1E8348294D4E.png

#1ford

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Johnnybee

Johnnybee

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Thank you Johnnybee
If you have the top down regularly you’re going to have them. You’ll also notice a bit of shading where the top bows are. There really isn’t much you can do about it. Just the price you pay for the infinite joy of driving with the top down.

mmff88gt

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I'm thinking that the mfgs of the top fabric along with Ford requirements far exceeds the performance of an off the shelf coating that's not proven compatible with the top fabric chemical composition.....anyone have any thoughts on this?
I suppose the same could be said about the car's paint, clear coat, etc., but many of us still put something on that we believe adds protection to those surfaces.

Advertisement

5 SPURS - 2
Advertisement