Sponsored

Convertible as a daily driver?

tea cups

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 WRX
Was looking at ordering a 16 Mustang GT convertible but was talking to someone who owned an SN-95 GT convertible and they said they loved the car but hated the fact that it was a convertible because of the constant road noise on the highway (top up). They said what was bad before became practically unbearable after they put a catback on the car. I haven't been able to find a 15 GT convertible to test drive around me so I was curious what convertible owners thought about this? Is the S550 quiet enough for a long daily commute or would it end up getting on your nerves? Any other downsides along these lines compared to the fastback?
Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Depends on what your used to. If you've been driving a Lincoln, yes it will bother you. I've been driving a Miata and Mazda-3 for 7 and 3 years respectively. Test driving the vert, I found it quieter than both. It really will depend on your tires and exhaust. Just research muffler drone before you swap exhausts.

And , oh yea! You CAN'T put the top down in a fastback! Go with the vert!

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
Don't worry, the new convertibles are definitely worthy of being daily drivers. For a convertible, they are very quiet with the top up.

In my opinion, the '15 vert is more than twice as quiet as the '14 vert.

Maybe about as quiet as a mid-sized sedan was about 10 years ago. Maybe.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Having a 15 now and a 2001 before, I can tell you there's no comparison. The 15 vert ecoboost is night and day, all around easier to drive. Although not a daily driver for us, I could easily see it being so. The 2001 not so much. I did test drive the GT and don't recall it being much noisier then the ecoboost.

You should rent one for a weekend. See for yourself. Even if it's the six it will give you a real good idea.

Chris

rumble

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt pp 1999 gt convt
I have a 1999 convertable that I have had 6 months I was surpised how quiet it was when i first got out on the highway. It does have that extra insulation on it. Just remember the cost of having it out all the time, because it more wear and tear on the top . It cost $1200 for a new top on mine.

Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
My 2015 GT premium convertible is my only car, so hopefully I can add a little value here.

Coming from a non-convertible car, it took me a minute to adjust to the difference of the sound from inside the car. At first, I kept trying to roll up the windows because I thought they weren't up (kept hearing some wind).

However, after I've gotten my new exhaust system, I really can't tell and forgot about this minor thing completely. If you plan to change out the exhaust, I honestly wouldn't even think twice about the noise because you won't be able to hear it anyway. If you plan to keep the stock exhaust, then do as others mentioned and test drive one to see if it's bearable for you. The only time I was able to hear this little wind was with the factory exhaust, and that's because it was a lot more quiet.

willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
my old man went with a vert, it does great for a daily drive. I would go with the VERT for sure if thats what you want.

RubyKojote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I must agree with what people are saying. I've never had a convertible before I picked mine up in June. I was concerned that the car would be too noisy for daily driving however I have found that not be the case. I recently installed the Ford Racing Borla Touring axle back exhaust. It sounds great and isn't loud at all in the car. I'm actually considering the x pipe as well. I don't think you will be disappointed in getting a convertible.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I must agree with what people are saying. I've never had a convertible before I picked mine up in June. I was concerned that the car would be too noisy for daily driving however I have found that not be the case. I recently installed the Ford Racing Borla Touring axle back exhaust. It sounds great and isn't loud at all in the car. I'm actually considering the x pipe as well. I don't think you will be disappointed in getting a convertible.
+1 what this guy said. I have the Roush Axle-Back Exhausts w/ x-pipes and I honestly don't remember the last time I thought to myself "what's up with this wind noise?" Unless you're going to keep factory exhaust, I highly doubt you'll even notice. :)

Sponsored

Rufus5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt/PP vert
My wife has a 14 vert for her daily driver. It's pretty quiet. I ordered a 16 vert for my DD. No worries. Once you put an exhaust on it you won't notice wind noise

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
My problem with a Vert as a DD is that I ALWAYS need to have the top down! I hate driving convertibles with the top up, unless it's pouring rain. I have had three: a '73 Fiat 124 Spyder, an 89 GT and a 99 SVT Cobra.

The truth is, convertibles are made for warm spring and fall days, and warm summer nights when the air feels soft on your face. Most other times, it's too hot or too cold and the fixed roof is a better compromise.

But don't let me stop you. I loved having the convertibles. Except when I hated them.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I can't speak to the mustang but I drove a BMW vert every day for ten years...loved every mile, top up noise level not bad at all.

HBTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I have a stock exhaust in my 15 GT convertible, which is my DD and has been so since May. You can hear the exhaust, mostly on hard acceleration, but it is not too loud or annoying. With the top up it is as quiet as most cars even at 70+. The top is well padded and wind/road noise is minimal. The black top with black interior gets hot in the sun, but I have come to really enjoy the remote start to cool it down before I get in. I have no regrets getting a vert as a daily driver. I say go for it!
Sponsored