Convert gt350 to gt350r exhaust

verdammte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dero
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Like the title says, I would like to change my gt350 exhaust over to sound just like the gt350r without losing my electronic exhaust controls. I made this same post on Reddit and was told the only difference was that the 350r does not have resonators and that removing the resonators would duplicate the sound, which sounded a little odd, but I went along with it. I had them removed yesterday and while it did slightly change the sound, it's still nothing like the gt350r.

I can't afford $3,000 to buy the entire exhaust system and have it installed, since I don't have any welding skills or the ability to lift the car up high enough to do in a complete exhaust system, so I was hoping to find just the parts that are different and change as little as possible.

I've looked around online for this answer, and the only thing I can ever find is the resonators, but since that wasn't it there has to be more to it. Does anybody know what the difference is that I'm missing?

It's a 2016 Shelby GT350 and at least has the tech pack. I believe it also has the performance pack, but I can't validate that to be sure since I'm the second owner and got the car back when it had 3,000 miles on it.

I have serious cluster headaches and migraines, so I am very hard set on keeping my quiet mode exhaust for when I need it. I do, of course, understand that I will lose some of that quietness and I'll have to manage with it like that, but it is still a requirement to keep that quiet mode at times.
Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The only difference is the GT350 has resonators, the R doesn't. Buy whatever resonator delete kit you prefer or have a custom exhaust shop cut them out and replace with appropriate sized stainless piping and it's the same as the R
What the above stated. You likely had it done for $90-$150 bucks and they welded an aluminum straight pipe which will cause it to sound different and not the same as it goes down the pipe and vibrates against the aluminum which carries a different frequency. OEM is 304 Stainless Steel so that is what I'd suggest. This is what I have and I think it's close enough as I haven't asked another 350R in a exhaust competition battle. LOL.

https://www.shifteck.com/products/shifteck-resonator-delete-x-pipe-gt350

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The sound will very depending on which resonator delete you decide to go with. I have the lth in mine, and it sounds pretty damn close to my buddies R as far as we can tell

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The sound will very depending on which resonator delete you decide to go with. I have the lth in mine, and it sounds pretty damn close to my buddies R as far as we can tell
The only variation in sound or tone comes from an apples/oranges resonator replacement. I.e. if you replace with some sort of deviating crossover (x, h, double xx) and do it at various distances from the header collectors, it'll slightly change the exhaust sound.

If you simply replace what was the resonator length with piping in the same fashion of the R, it won't matter if you use Aluminized, stainless, galvanized steel, etc, etc.

Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
As others have noted, the only difference between the two exhaust notes is the resonators. Obviously the size of the pipe will greatly impact the sound, but I hadn't considered the material also impacting the sound. What else will have the greatest influence on the sound? I'll take a guess:

1) Diameter (2.75")
2) Material (304 Stainless)
3) Shape/design of the X

https://www.steeda.com/lth-fdrd00002t-s550-resonator-delete

I think this one seems to be the bolt on option, and, while I did want the same X design as the R, this is what I went with.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Is it not possible to just buy the X pipe from the R?

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
When I got my 350, first thing I did was to head to my local exhaust guys and have them hack out the resonators. opinions will vary, but I didn't buy a pipe, there's already an "X" down there. Cut out, weld in stainless pipes.

Here is my you tube video

E1D20EA7-FB1C-4DA8-A39D-D32A57C949BD.jpeg

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
I had a '16 tech pack and replaced the resonators with the Corsa X-pipe. I traded it in for a '19 R and find the R exhaust note has a more pleasing raw sound. I figured this came down to differences in the Corsa X-pipe vs standard R muffler but have not done a detailed analysis.

Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I had a '16 tech pack and replaced the resonators with the Corsa X-pipe. I traded it in for a '19 R and find the R exhaust note has a more pleasing raw sound. I figured this came down to differences in the Corsa X-pipe vs standard R muffler but have not done a detailed analysis.
Both 2.5" and 3" pipes have been stated to sound different. The Corsa is 3".

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Like the title says, I would like to change my gt350 exhaust over to sound just like the gt350r without losing my electronic exhaust controls. I made this same post on Reddit and was told the only difference was that the 350r does not have resonators and that removing the resonators would duplicate the sound, which sounded a little odd, but I went along with it. I had them removed yesterday and while it did slightly change the sound, it's still nothing like the gt350r.

I can't afford $3,000 to buy the entire exhaust system and have it installed, since I don't have any welding skills or the ability to lift the car up high enough to do in a complete exhaust system, so I was hoping to find just the parts that are different and change as little as possible.

I've looked around online for this answer, and the only thing I can ever find is the resonators, but since that wasn't it there has to be more to it. Does anybody know what the difference is that I'm missing?

It's a 2016 Shelby GT350 and at least has the tech pack. I believe it also has the performance pack, but I can't validate that to be sure since I'm the second owner and got the car back when it had 3,000 miles on it.
I have serious cluster headaches and migraines, so I am very hard set on keeping my quiet mode exhaust for when I need it. I do, of course, understand that I will lose some of that quietness and I'll have to manage with it like that, but it is still a requirement to keep that quiet mode at times.
The information you got on reddit was partly true. There are many different resonators and they all alter the harmonics of the exhaust. Some replicate the GT350R sound more so than others. It comes down to choice of material and the diameter. Corsa, MBRP, LTH, and Lethal Performance all use different materials and sizing.

There is a really long post about resonators and the LTH Resonator is the one that will give you the most OEM and closest sound to the GT350R without doing any custom work. This is a link to the post with lots of good information from the same question that you are asking.

I believe that the R actually has a 2.5" pipe. The LTH has 2.75" All of the other aftermarket resonators are 3"

To make it sound identical to the GT350R you have to do a custom wield and do it a certain way with materials, wielding and size otherwise it won't sound the same. Imo, just go with the LTH, its only ~$230 (tax and shipping) and you can just send it back and go down the custom route if you don't like it.

Last edited:

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Just as a point of reference, my 2020 350R factory X-pipe measures 2.75" on the axle side of the X (on the engine side, it starts at 2.5" but necks down to about 2.3" just before entering the X). I have no idea about other years or non-Rs.

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
The information you got on reddit was partly true. There are many different resonators and they all alter the harmonics of the exhaust. Some replicate the GT350R sound more so than others. It comes down to choice of material and the diameter. Corsa, MBRP, LTH, and Lethal Performance all use different materials and sizing.

There is a really long post about resonators and the LTH Resonator is the one that will give you the most OEM and closest sound to the GT350R without doing any custom work. This is a link to the post with lots of good information from the same question that you are asking.

I believe that the R actually has a 2.5" pipe. The LTH has 2.75" All of the other aftermarket resonators are 3"

To make it sound identical to the GT350R you have to do a custom wield and do it a certain way with materials, wielding and size otherwise it won't sound the same. Imo, just go with the LTH, its only ~$230 (tax and shipping) and you can just send it back and go down the custom route if you don't like it.
OEM is 2.75" and not a common size or easy to find in "high quality" when buying short lengths on a eBay or Amazon. I paid $37.95 per foot for 9 feet of 316 in August in New Jersey from an Industrial supplier. (16 gauge) 6 feet is more than enough to get the job done.

I wanted to retain the OEM cross pipe for identical "GT350R" sound which is what I achieved.

OP
OP

verdammte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dero
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

Well, I already had straight stainless steel pipes put in it's place and it didn't get it quite right, hence why i think there's more to it, but other disagree. I looked up the LTH Resonator though. Would getting that an then going back to the hop to have that in particular welded in in place of the straight pipes really make that big a difference, you think? I can if you do, but I wanted to be sure first.

As for everyone else so far, I appreciate everyone's feedback. We all seem to be in agreement that the delete is the only real change, which I already did with some, but little success. The disagreement seems to be on size and material. I think this replacement is 2.5" that has been adapted to 2.75" on the side it needs to be on.
Sponsored