Sponsored

Considering switching out summer tires to MPSS A/S 3+

JimInTexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, Orange Fury, PP1, 10AT, Magneride, Active Exhaust, Safe/Smart, 401A, GT350 Black Spoiler
Hi all,
So I just took delivery of my GT PP1 with MPSS 4S summer tires, but didn't realize until now that they shouldn't be used on 45 deg F or colder days. Here in North Texas we get a fair amount of days that are that cold, so it sound like I will need to swap in A/S tires during these months. Does anybody have experience with the MPSS A/S 3+ tires and how much performance would I be giving up should I decide to keep them on the car year round? Mostly street driving and possibly an occasional autocross, drag strip, or spirited driving on rural roads. Thanks!
Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Hi all,
So I just took delivery of my GT PP1 with MPSS 4S summer tires, but didn't realize until now that they shouldn't be used on 45 deg F or colder days. Here in North Texas we get a fair amount of days that are that cold, so it sound like I will need to swap in A/S tires during these months. Does anybody have experience with the MPSS A/S 3+ tires and how much performance would I be giving up should I decide to keep them on the car year round? Mostly street driving and possibly an occasional autocross, drag strip, or spirited driving on rural roads. Thanks!
I think that's the #1 rated A/S tire on the market right now, superb performance. I had them on my list but already having had a great experience with the Comp2 A/S on my Mustang GT I stayed with those.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They're a great all-around tire, and for most of what you will do, a great choice.

For autocross & track I would strongly recommend a separate set of wheels and tires. If you are a newbie to autocross, go for it with the Michelins, but if you want to be competitive, you won't be on anything other than an extreme performance summer like the RE71R. The performance gap between those and even your PS4S is pretty large.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I just put the AS3+'s on my PP2 car. I went with aftermarket wheels since I didn't want to cram the 285's on the 11X19 rear wheels.

The tires so far have handled fine. The car is not as "planted" as the SC2's but that is to be expected. It handles just fine for what I'm doing with it though. If I planned on tracking the car I would get another set for the track.

I would also consider how often your temp drops. If it is a day or two where it is below 45 degrees I'm not sure I would buy another set. Remember that the lawyers are involved so if they are saying 45 degree's it is likely 32 degrees. I WOULD NOT push the tires had at or below 45 degree's but if you only see a day or three below that and drive carefully I'm not sure you'll have many issues.

We have 3-4 months where it is below 45 degree's and I drive my car late at night or early in the morning where it is cooler. So far I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the AS3+'s but the DWS's also have good reviews and are a bit cheaper.

OP
OP

JimInTexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, Orange Fury, PP1, 10AT, Magneride, Active Exhaust, Safe/Smart, 401A, GT350 Black Spoiler
Great feedback, everybody....thanks!!
The winters can vary in Texas, and while it's unusual, we've seen some freezing or below temps for a week straight in the past and quite a few sub-45 temps. So I think the plan will be to stay with the summer tires into the winter months and just see how it goes with the temps, but stay off of snow/ice. Then if I do need to go to A/S tires, I know that the MPSS A/S 3+ will be a good option and I may just leave them on year round, except for any high performance driving.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Performance will degrade below 45F but the tire wont eat itself.

Summer tires can crack if they get too cold but that isn't until about 23F and I can't imagine it dropping that low in Texas. I've driven mine regularly in 30+ temps. I have a friend that ran his all winter with no cracks or problems either.

The only thing is you don't want to rapidly heat them when they're cold. So if you're driving on them on a cold day I would take it easy and let them gradually warm up rather than do a burnout when you get in the car, lol.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Texas covers a lot of geography and weather zones. In central or north Texas, freezing weather isn't exactly routine or everyday, but it's not unusual either. in Austin it's common for the highs to be in the 60s or 70s, but dip down into the 30s or sometimes 20s at night. Once or twice a year we'll get an ice day where it's freezing or colder all day. I used to drive summer tires year round, just being careful on cold mornings/days. But at this point I think all seasons have become good enough that I'll just go that way.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I just put a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 all-seasons on after a week in the low-40's a couple weeks ago. The P-Zero's that came on my EBPP were not interested in sticking in cold+wet or cold+damp... traction control just pulling away from the garage, and fish-tails trying to pull onto collector streets. I was pretty happy with those tires from the time I bought the car at the end of May, and was hoping to make it through a winter or two before replacing them, but nope. If trying to go is that bad, so will trying to stop - that's my concern on my commute. I'm going to test the new tires in the 30's tomorrow to see how they manage compared to the Zero's, but initially I'm really happy with them.

I'd be willing to bet that the AS 3+ is at least as good. There was a set of them at Discount Tire when I had my Cooper's mounted, and they felt pretty soft. I'd bet you're not going to give up much in the summer, and you're going to gain a huge amount in the winter.

AzSideWinder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have these on my 2013 Shelby GT500, I wouldn't buy another set. They are ok but to me are overrated and noisy and grab every groove in the road. Just my 2 cents. My Yokohamas on my 2013 Mustang GT ride nicer and are quieter and ride over the imperfections on the road, and were way less expensive. The Yokohamas do have a hard time hooking with launching if raining out.

505bbjason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
I’ve driven my PP1 all winter up in Seattle, and only parked it when there was snow on the ground. Never had an issue otherwise.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I think you'll be okay with the summers living in Texas. With that said the A/S3+ are good tires. I would keep the SC2s personally. Probably not enough cold weather to warrant ditching those.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Hi all,
I spent 6 years in Wichita Falls/Sheppard AFB and I'd say that you won't be able to run those summers through the winter months. I'd run an A/S but you probably only need that tire Nov/Dec/Jan maybe Feb, and its mainly the cold temps. I remember snow just once or twice while living there. Consider the BFG Comp2 A/S tire. I ran those on both the Mustang and now the Camaro, I highly recommend them.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I run my PZeros North of Toronto below 40. No issues. Just drive carefully. Anything lower than 36 they turn into hockey pucks. Also never tried wet I'm assuming that would be like a skating rink. Only street driving no track days.

Was also consdiering an AS tire but sticking to Summers. Will most likely go with Michelin 4s next season.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
AC29DE22-1A01-418E-B93E-6F677FE06193.jpeg
Just checked mine. All 4 showing cracking. Manufactured 49/15, 50/15, 50/15, 02/16. Put on the car March 2016 and have 20k miles.
Sponsored