Sponsored

Considering selling the Shelby for a Mach 1…

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Keep the 500, and enjoy it to the fullest.

But if you absolutely can't resist, now would be the best time to flip it and make a little profit....
Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
When I first decided to get back into a Mustang I was looking at the Mach 1. It had a manual, good looks, and decent power compared to my old 2016 GTPP. But, the price didn’t make sense. As I looked around I compared the value to performance of the GT500 and after checking my financial situation decided the GT500, which was a dream for me to own, was the better car.
Now, I’ve had my 500 for just under a year, and it has 6200 miles on it. Not because I don’t want to drive it, but I also own an Indian Chieftain motorcycle which I love to ride on nice days as well. So my mileage is split between them. Otherwise my 500 would be a daily and I am perfectly fine with that. These cars were built to be enjoyed. I missed that when I sold my GT as I had begun to worry about putting miles on it. Now I understand how ridiculous that thought was.
I don’t ever plan to sell my Shelby unless it’s to upgrade to a better Shelby. I know the memories of driving all those miles in my car will negate any worry about depreciated value. I hope this is a car I can give to my daughter when she’s old enough and responsible enough to use it and enjoy it.
Bottom line, none of us can decide what’s best for you. We can only speak from a position of our own opinions. The smiles per gallon and having a bucket-list car are all the reasons I need to never let her go.
Good luck with your decision!

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
I know, I know.

I probably will be an outcast for even mentioning it, but I’m seriously considering ordering a new Mach 1 to replace the Shelby.

The Mach 1 can be had in a standard, and if you get the handling package should be somewhere close to the Shelby in regards to handling. Additionally, I can use it more as an actual car without sweating the miles I put on it and the range when full should be MUCH better if I were to want to take it on a trip. The Shelby is paid off, so the lead time on production for the Mach would give me time to find the right buyer as well.
End goal would be to find a Mach 1 with the handling package and add a Whipple.

Thoughts?
Thoughts? You will regret it and, no, it will not be like a gt500. I had a gt350 and no comparo! You did not clearly state WHY you would do this. Is it just to put a some money back in your pocket? The Mach 1 will not satisfy if you love your Shelby.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
The Mach1 is very nice. The whipple statement thru me off though. So do you want a MACH1 just for a manual ?

There was a thread were a company was doing manual conversions for GT500's. Perhaps you should look to that thread.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Ford should offer a manual option for the GT500 for those, who love to row their own gears.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I had guessed what was going on, so I went back to check the date the thread was started.

WTF, it wasn't April the 1st ... 😲

WD :like:

clg82

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
That's a fine-ass pic. Thanks.

I agree with others on ordering. Mustangs in general and Mach 1s in-particular have been besieged with delays.

Maybe monitor dealer lots and swoop in on an existing one at the right moment later?
Umm every car manufacturer has....Ford isn't special in this regard.....why not drive the 500, it's not a collectors car, it's got no value aside from smiling when you hit the gas pedal......drive it....that's why you bought it.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Your main complaint was gas mileage with the GT500. As soon as you add the Whipple to a Mach 1, you are right back where you started. You have a warranty with your GT500, while the Mach 1’s drivetrain warranty is lost with the Whipple addition. The Predator engine was built for forced induction, while the Coyote has been hit-or-miss for forced induction (admittedly better results with the Gen 3 design, but installation is a wild card). By the time you take the price of a Mach 1 + HP + ADM + Whipple + incidentals, you are knocking on the door of the price of a base GT500.

Just drive and enjoy your GT500. You won’t regret it.
No, my main complaint is the lack of a manual.

That being said, it is difficult to 'complain' about the Shelby, it's an incredible car. The fuel mileage is not a concern financially, it's more that it's hard to keep gas in the tank on the Shelby making it a bit of a hassle to have to fill it up every other time you drive it. I've had a few of the coyotes and one with a Roush blower on it, the practicality of the setup makes it much more DD friendly.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I test drove a Manual Challenger and auto Mach 1 (no HP) recently to debate on getting a second daily driver. I had a 2016 GT350 previously and now a 500 for 2.5 years. It was a universe apart. I kept waiting for the power to kick in. The M1 drive was very disappointing on every level. It was like going from a mansion to a townhouse.

Take a test drive and see how you feel.
It would definitely require a roots style blower to make me happy.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your main complaint was gas mileage with the GT500. As soon as you add the Whipple to a Mach 1, you are right back where you started. You have a warranty with your GT500, while the Mach 1’s drivetrain warranty is lost with the Whipple addition. The Predator engine was built for forced induction, while the Coyote has been hit-or-miss for forced induction (admittedly better results with the Gen 3 design, but installation is a wild card). By the time you take the price of a Mach 1 + HP + ADM + Whipple + incidentals, you are knocking on the door of the price of a base GT500.

Just drive and enjoy your GT500. You won’t regret it.
Disagree. I've had a blown coyote in the past that got nearly stock gas mileage when you weren't in boost.

Again, my main complaint is not fuel mileage, it's the lack of a manual. Having to fill the car up every other time you drive makes it a little impractical to take on a trip like I've done with all of my other Mustangs making it less likely to get picked as the ride of the weekend.

Shelbeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAJ
Vehicle(s)
GT500, MME-GT, BMW X-1
Umm every car manufacturer has....Ford isn't special in this regard.....why not drive the 500, it's not a collectors car, it's got no value aside from smiling when you hit the gas pedal......drive it....that's why you bought it.
No value?! You can get over original MSRP for a 2020 today.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
If you aren't happy with the 500 because of no manual option I'd absolutely go with a new Mach 1 either 21/22. However as far as your concern with adding a blower on it I believe the Roush one does not currently fit the Mach 1. I know I have seen Whipples already on them with the for air box removed.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I understand and agree that driving a manual provides for an awesome sports-car driving experience--coming from a guy who is in a 10r80 car.

And knowing you can get more $$ than you paid for your 500, I say why not?
Sponsored