Sponsored

Considering selling the Shelby for a Mach 1…

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
I know, I know.

I probably will be an outcast for even mentioning it, but I’m seriously considering ordering a new Mach 1 to replace the Shelby.

The Mach 1 can be had in a standard, and if you get the handling package should be somewhere close to the Shelby in regards to handling. Additionally, I can use it more as an actual car without sweating the miles I put on it and the range when full should be MUCH better if I were to want to take it on a trip. The Shelby is paid off, so the lead time on production for the Mach would give me time to find the right buyer as well.
End goal would be to find a Mach 1 with the handling package and add a Whipple.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I'll be the bearer of bad news. At this point, if you order an HP M1 tomorrow, you will likely not get it this year. So, you'd be better off just seeing if you can find one at a dealer or even 1 yr used.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
I'll be the bearer of bad news. At this point, if you order an HP M1 tomorrow, you will likely not get it this year. So, you'd be better off just seeing if you can find one at a dealer or even 1 yr used.
I was seeing that. I looked for a used one and can’t find the build I want with leather heated/cooled seats.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I was seeing that. I looked for a used one and can’t find the build I want with leather heated/cooled seats.
yeah, I've been looking as well, getting just the right options is a pita.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Unless Ford has reopened it, they completely closed the order banks down a few months ago until 2023. The Mach 1 is a cool car. No qualms there. That said, after and having a 500 I think you might have second thoughts after. I didn’t want to give up the manual for the 500, so I whippled my regular 350. In your situation I think I’d be after a less expensive 350.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Spent some time with a good friend's Mach 1. Nice car, totally dig it.

MGW1%20reduced-X3.jpg

That said, the GT500 does more for me.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
That's a fine-ass pic. Thanks.

I agree with others on ordering. Mustangs in general and Mach 1s in-particular have been besieged with delays.

Maybe monitor dealer lots and swoop in on an existing one at the right moment later?

Last edited:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Outsider's perspective here...but I would never downgrade from a GT500 to a Mach 1 if I didn't have to. Plain and simple. The Mach 1 feels like a PP1.5 or 2ish GT. I think it would be extremely underwhelming coming from a GT500.

Don't worry so much about the miles. I conserve the miles a little on my '21 ZL1 since I work from home and office 50/50, but don't obsess over it if I have to drive it a little extra sometimes. I drive about 5k a year with that commute frequency.

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
It made sense, right up until the addition of the blower. The mach is a cool car, personally, if they would have offered the same car with 350 brakes on all 4 corners and called it a boss 302, I would have ordered it instead of a 500. Give it a dct option and you open the door to a lot of buyers.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Your main complaint was gas mileage with the GT500. As soon as you add the Whipple to a Mach 1, you are right back where you started. You have a warranty with your GT500, while the Mach 1’s drivetrain warranty is lost with the Whipple addition. The Predator engine was built for forced induction, while the Coyote has been hit-or-miss for forced induction (admittedly better results with the Gen 3 design, but installation is a wild card). By the time you take the price of a Mach 1 + HP + ADM + Whipple + incidentals, you are knocking on the door of the price of a base GT500.

Just drive and enjoy your GT500. You won’t regret it.

Shelbeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAJ
Vehicle(s)
GT500, MME-GT, BMW X-1
I test drove a Manual Challenger and auto Mach 1 (no HP) recently to debate on getting a second daily driver. I had a 2016 GT350 previously and now a 500 for 2.5 years. It was a universe apart. I kept waiting for the power to kick in. The M1 drive was very disappointing on every level. It was like going from a mansion to a townhouse.

Take a test drive and see how you feel.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I know, I know.

I probably will be an outcast for even mentioning it, but I’m seriously considering ordering a new Mach 1 to replace the Shelby.

The Mach 1 can be had in a standard, and if you get the handling package should be somewhere close to the Shelby in regards to handling. Additionally, I can use it more as an actual car without sweating the miles I put on it and the range when full should be MUCH better if I were to want to take it on a trip. The Shelby is paid off, so the lead time on production for the Mach would give me time to find the right buyer as well.
End goal would be to find a Mach 1 with the handling package and add a Whipple.

Thoughts?
If I were to own a S500, think & would do the same for no other reason than to have a manual gearbox.
Sponsored