Sponsored

Considering selling my daily and turning my GT into a daily

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Hey guys!

After this winter I'm considering selling my Si in Spring and going with GT only having one car. Our insurance rates are getting insane and just can't part with the GT. ($1700 a year for the Si!)

I may test the GT this winter by purchasing a set of winter tires / rims. What setup are you guys using? Was thinking going stock rim size of Base GT 18x8 with a decent set of winter tires. X-Ice I3's Currently on the Si are pretty decent so might look at a set of those.
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Hey guys!

After this winter I'm considering selling my Si in Spring and going with GT only having one car. Our insurance rates are getting insane and just can't part with the GT. ($1700 a year for the Si!)

I may test the GT this winter by purchasing a set of winter tires / rims. What setup are you guys using? Was thinking going stock rim size of Base GT 18x8 with a decent set of winter tires. X-Ice I3's Currently on the Si are pretty decent so might look at a set of those.
Did you shop around for insurance? I was hosed to the tune of $2400 for 2 cars and a house with zero claims ever and zero tickets. Shopped around and got that cut in half. I'd give that a try first, there's shitloads of companies doing business on the web these days, my agent now lives 180 miles away and I just deal with them via email.

OP
OP
Monopoly

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you shop around for insurance?
Just the online quotes sites. I only have one minor speeding ticket on my record and no claims. $3182 for Both annual is crazy steep! Bel-Air direct was the cheapest by far in my area (Newmarket). Now its roughly the same as the competition.

Do you live near TO? If so share your insurance! Maybe I'll give them a call.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
It's with McAuley Insurance in Aurora. They put me with SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance) and I am very happy. SGI just recently started writing policies in Ontario. I live way over near Trenton and given the collision rate is a lot lower over here YMMV.

OP
OP
Monopoly

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's with McAuley Insurance in Aurora. They put me with SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance) and I am very happy. SGI just recently started writing policies in Ontario. I live way over near Trenton and given the collision rate is a lot lower over here YMMV.
Awesome that's right near me I'll give them a call. Thank you!

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I've had Blizzak snow tires for 3 winters now, soon to be 4, with no issues. I like to add some ballast over the rear axle to reduce the fish-tail feeling, 30-40 kg works for me. Let the traction control do its thing, go easy on the pedals and the steering wheel, and don't do anything stupid. If you get stuck, turn the traction control off. It's a much better car in snow than most cars were 40 years ago.

38084713035_ca455c3d47_b.jpg

OP
OP
Monopoly

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had Blizzak snow tires for 3 winters now, soon to be 4, with no issues. I like to add some ballast over the rear axle to reduce the fish-tail feeling, 30-40 kg works for me. Let the traction control do its thing, go easy on the pedals and the steering wheel, and don't do anything stupid. If you get stuck, turn the traction control off. It's a much better car in snow than most cars were 40 years ago.

38084713035_ca455c3d47_b.jpg
That’s what I figured. Plus on heavy snow days I’ll have the option to work from home.

I’ll keep looking for used rims winter tires on Kijiji and test this winter.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I'm on Nokian R3, 235/55R-17 on the standard Ecoboost rim. Realize that you're looking at minimum 18" rim but I was quite happy with the handling in the slippery stuff. Occasionally would push the front end in deep snow, but I have the option of working from home so skipped the office a couple of times last winter. Bonus was the looks I got on the 401 January 4th, driving home with the top down on a sunny +7C day.

OP
OP
Monopoly

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[QUOTE="Johnnybee, post: Bonus was the looks I got on the 401 January 4th, driving home with the top down on a sunny +7C day.[/QUOTE]

Haha you dont see that very often. Dont think 17s would fit GT front calipers? Anyways I saw a few 18x8s with 235s posted on kijiji I'll keep looking.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
[QUOTE="Johnnybee, post: Bonus was the looks I got on the 401 January 4th, driving home with the top down on a sunny +7C day.
Haha you dont see that very often. Dont think 17s would fit GT front calipers? Anyways I saw a few 18x8s with 235s posted on kijiji I'll keep looking.[/QUOTE]

No, you’ll need 18” to clear them as they are bigger than the non-PP Ecoboost brakes.

Sponsored

medic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Drove a winter on new Michelin xice 3s 245/40?/18s on my previous base GT. Handled extremely well. Picked up a 19 GT PP1 and need new tires as these don't clear brembos. Tread is great on them and they're for sale if you're looking still. Where are you located?

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I enjoyed snow & ice driving raised in Memphis,TN. Snow tires will fit the bill, I had 18's w/ 255/40/18 base was 235. Enjoy the "drifting"! I DD mine but no snow on the coastal bend of Texas.

OP
OP
Monopoly

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drove a winter on new Michelin xice 3s 245/40?/18s on my previous base GT. Handled extremely well. Picked up a 19 GT PP1 and need new tires as these don't clear brembos. Tread is great on them and they're for sale if you're looking still. Where are you located?
I'm in Newmarket. Still debating keeping my Si as a daily since its been rock solid. X-Ice I3s I use as well they are amazing for the price.

Depends on your price :D

Hardk0re

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My GT cost me $8/month when I park it in the winter, same with my GOLF TDI when I park it in the summer. Then the plates. Other than that its pretty much no more cost to keep two vehicles than it is one. The TDI makes up for the plate cost with 5L/100km. I may do a bit more maintenance as before I put a car away I'll do a full maintenance so its ready in the spring/fall. I had thought of driving the GT through the winter, but life is much more enjoyable when a car you don't really care about gets pelted with rock salt or you need to full send it through windrow to get on/off a road.

OP
OP
Monopoly

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My GT cost me $8/month when I park it in the winter, same with my GOLF TDI when I park it in the summer. Then the plates. Other than that its pretty much no more cost to keep two vehicles than it is one. The TDI makes up for the plate cost with 5L/100km. I may do a bit more maintenance as before I put a car away I'll do a full maintenance so its ready in the spring/fall. I had thought of driving the GT through the winter, but life is much more enjoyable when a car you don't really care about gets pelted with rock salt or you need to full send it through windrow to get on/off a road.
Is this recent? I used to do the same but 10 years ago. When I ask insurance companies now "park your car" gets me like $100 off the regular rate. So I just said eff it and left it on all year for that crappy discount.
Sponsored