Sponsored

Considering 2020 GT350/R, or waiting...

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Been a while since I’ve been here but miss my 16 GT350R. It’s in good hands now.

Considering a 2020 GT350/R in Iconic Silver, or simply waiting for the upcoming Z06.

Now, before all you fine chaps start hacking at me for comparing the two, realize this... I’ve had one FPC and I’d simply like to experience another... and possibly a mid-engine variant without the Ferrari sticker shock.

Anyways, good to be back and hanging out with you guys.
Sponsored

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Sometimes it's hard to go back unless there is a really big change. In my life I bought the same car twice and it didn't last the first time, but so far sticking the second time with my GT3 (PDK vs Manual and custom color). There isn't a lot of change between your old '16 R and a new 2020 so maybe the Z06. The other side of that coin is you will be waiting a couple more years for the Z06 unless you are a VIP Chevy customer so maybe enjoy a new 350R in the meantime.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
If you’re asking us to spend you’re money....get the 350r....if you can a 350r heritage.....simply stunning

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You've been a member for while and we know you've got some huevos. Honestly, I'd see what the Z06 possibly has in store. When the S550 was released, I had zero interest in the car. When the GT350 was rumored and spied, I started following it and as more and more info came out I get enamored. Maybe you could do the same thing. I have zero interest in purchasing a C8 (not that I don't like it, just base isn't good enough for my intellect). But maybe see what a Z06 has in store or a Grand Sport if they release one.

So to that end, I think I've definitely screwed myself up. "Base models" won't do for me anymore. I'm planning on relocating south and I won't need my truck anymore but would still like a second vehicle and have been considering a used Charger RT in the 2016 or so range. But then every time I think about it and look at a Scat Pack, I just think a base RT won't cut it...

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Yea tbh...when i drive the gt350 more people come to me than the z06’s.... plus u need to ask yourself these questions......

Corvette owners requirements:

Your occupation is a dentist
Have to have a jaguar
Wear dockers that you tuck a polo into
Subscribe to vanilla white dudes monthly
Wife sells Mary Kay and has the pink mary kay cadillac.
Required to wear a leather corvette jacket anytime you are out in public

you MUST have all of those.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yea tbh...when i drive the gt350 more people come to me than the z06’s.... plus u need to ask yourself these questions......

Corvette owners requirements:

Your occupation is a dentist
Have to have a jaguar
Wear dockers that you tuck a polo into
Subscribe to vanilla white dudes monthly
Wife sells Mary Kay and has the pink mary kay cadillac.
Required to wear a leather corvette jacket anytime you are out in public

you MUST have all of those.

Every Corvette owner I personally know and am on a talking basis with is under 40 years old. This isn't 1997 anymore.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I think the mid-engine has changed the minds of a lot of people. Gone are the old-man corvette days.

I don’t care for anything prior to the mid engine, save the 63-67 years... yet the FPC mid-engine concept has my mouth watering, especially if the 9000 rpm redline is real.

I just hope they come out with a stick before then (I know, wishful thinking).
A22A1A85-9DC8-4C5F-8C33-942C518628AB.png

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think the mid-engine has changed the minds of a lot of people. Gone are the old-man corvette days.

I don’t care for anything prior to the mid engine, save the 63-67 years... yet the FPC mid-engine concept has my mouth watering, especially if the 9000 rpm redline is real.

A22A1A85-9DC8-4C5F-8C33-942C518628AB.png
My understanding is that the car and chassis was never designed with a manual in mind. A few issues and also design elements to support that idea:

The trans is behind the engine and underneath the storage cargo area. Running a linkage would basically be impossible. The center console is also a load bearing structural component of the chassis. Hollowing it out to make room for a gearbox would compromise the chassis' structural integrity. And on the marketing side, Corvette was to evolve into a world performance platform in a class that has no excuses for anything less than modern performance concepts. Manual transmission is ancient, let's be real. Having a manual transmission would bump out a lot of new potential buyers who have a different mindset and idea of driving than some of us do. Just the idea that the car has a manual option would put a bad label on the car. Now one would think that's nonsense because Porsche put manuals back into some of their cars. Well Porsche has been doing this level of performance engineering and market for a while now. They know who their buyers are and what they demand out of their products. C8 is in a totally new class and league as an automobile. They don't know what that landscape looks like yet. And from a business standpoint, I don't blame them for not offering a manual.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Would you like Facebook profiles? Why get so riled up about it? And don't say you're not. Otherwise you wouldn't be so brash.

They're all autocrossers and track day warriors who have discovered the performance per dollar bargain of C5 and C6 Vettes who want to have fun.

How about Mustang owners. Requirements to be a Mustang owner:

Trailer park address
Mullet
Child with his cousin
Missing a few teeth
Beer gut
Torn up overalls and straw hat

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
You might be waiting awhile for the C8 Z06. I have a deposit on one and if you are not on the list already your probably looking at 2022 unless you can buy one over sticker. Problem is between the strike and Covid it’s likely pushed back the Z06 by another year.

So it comes down to how soon we are talking here. If you don’t need a car for a few more years it’s worth waiting to see what the Z06 offers. If you want something sooner get a used GT350/R as you won’t lose out as much on depreciation if you just keep it a few years and sell it.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
The automobile industry as a whole is moving in a different direction in which the manual transmission is fading quickly like the dinosaur and the dodo. I am one of the remaining dinosaurs who had a little intuition that 2020 would be the last year of the GT350. The C8 possibly with a 5.5 liter FPC engine setup will be a beast no doubt. However, ask yourself how important a manual transmission is to you, and how much you are willing to spend on the C8 with the FPC as my suspicion is that you will not get out of the dealer’s parking lot without dropping 150k minimum on this version with the anticipated ADM markup. Chevy has already hinted at a price increase for the MY2021 of which seems inevitable. Either way you go you will have something special, so all the best in your journey.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
My previous car was a C7 and I was in a number of Corvette clubs and went to car shows in the New England area and most owners here are in the 50-70+ range. And by most I mean 80-90%. I am in my 40’s and was usually one of the youngest. I track mine and I can tell you I was the exception, most Corvettes don’t get tracked or driven here unless it summer time and no rain.

Maybe it’s regional but most owners here are not younger.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My previous car was a C7 and I was in a number of Corvette clubs and went to car shows in the New England area and most owners here are in the 50-70+ range. And by most I mean 80-90%. I am in my 40’s and was usually one of the youngest. I track mine and I can tell you I was the exception, most Corvettes don’t get tracked or driven here unless it summer time and no rain.

Maybe it’s regional but most owners here are not younger.

Depends on the environment. Totally the case around me too. Go to a car show and the Corvette owners are all older. And frankly, most owners of everything are. I was always one of the younger Mustang owners even at a show I would frequent. And in a Shelby. But at track and especially at autocross, the average age of Corvette owners significantly dropped. Last track day I was at in 2019, not a single C5 owner had to have been older than mid 40's. And I have 3 friends who have C5 Z06 Commemorative Edition cars. The oldest is 35 years old. The other two I believe are 30 and 32. Milwaukee SCCA autocross A Street is DOMINATED by C5 Z06's and definitely in the early 30's age ranges.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
How about Mustang owners. Requirements to be a Mustang owner:

Trailer park address
Mullet
Child with his cousin
Missing a few teeth
Beer gut
Torn up overalls and straw hat
proof? I dont have any of those

riled up....c’mon man......im here for the trolling.....and i pay myself a $1 everytime i see a snotty comment from tomster......paid for my apex rims so far.
Sponsored