Sponsored

Confused about my brakes

2LoudMut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50 year anniversary
I drive a 15 5.0 6 speed, i was out for a drive a did a pull and got up to 120 - 130 ( on a private course obviously ) and needed to slow down, so i applied the brakes hard but not very hard. When i did so after a second or 2 the brakes felt like the rotors were very very warped and maybe even lost some braking power. i was able to get the car to stop and as soon as i stopped i took off again to make sure my brakes still work, when i did that my brakes felt completely fine, no noises, didn't feel warped at all, and the brake pedal is still stiff. I hope someone here has maybe a clue on what may have happened. Im worried next time i go fast it will happen again and be worse.
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I drive a 15 5.0 6 speed, i was out for a drive a did a pull and got up to 120 - 130 ( on a private course obviously ) and needed to slow down, so i applied the brakes hard but not very hard. When i did so after a second or 2 the brakes felt like the rotors were very very warped and maybe even lost some braking power. i was able to get the car to stop and as soon as i stopped i took off again to make sure my brakes still work, when i did that my brakes felt completely fine, no noises, didn't feel warped at all, and the brake pedal is still stiff. I hope someone here has maybe a clue on what may have happened. Im worried next time i go fast it will happen again and be worse.
4 or 6 pistons calipers ?
Has to be pads deposit
If you don’t brake very hard once in a while, pads material get deposited on the rotors and you get this pulsating when braking hard and therefore putting some good heat
Brake a few times hard from 80 to 20 and that should clean the rotors

Last edited:

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
How are your tires? at that speed with some worn out or crappy all seasons, you could have engaged ABS

Sponsored

OP
OP

2LoudMut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 or 6 pistons calipers ?
Has to be pads deposit
If you don’t brake very hard once in a while, pads material get deposited on the rotors and you get this pulsating when braking hard and therefore putting some good heat
Brake a few times hard from 80 to 20 and that should clean the rotors
Thank you for your response, honestly I don’t know if it’s 4 or 6 it’s a 50 year anniversary premium without brembos and yes I typically don’t brake hard ever so I’m hoping ur right, although I have went this speed before and this has never happened

OP
OP

2LoudMut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And the brake fluid is original since 2015? 😁
I honestly don’t know I just got the car a few months back. But I have been planning on doing a brake flush

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I honestly don’t know I just got the car a few months back. But I have been planning on doing a brake flush
That is a great way to send the new to you car into a wall)))

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
If the car doesn't have Brembos, it's a premium w/the anniversary appearance package w/4 piston brakes.

If you don't have maintenance records, it's time to catch up. The car is 9 years old.

Oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, rear axle fluid. Examine the pads/rotors at this time or have a trusted professional give you a verdict on them.

OP
OP

2LoudMut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are your tires? at that speed with some worn out or crappy all seasons, you could have engaged ABS
thank you for responding, my rear tires are somewhat new Michelin pilots all season, and the front are some Goodyears that are a few years old, but when this was happening I let off the brake and reapplied and it was still doing it
If the car doesn't have Brembos, it's a premium w/the anniversary appearance package w/4 piston brakes.

If you don't have maintenance records, it's time to catch up. The car is 9 years old.

Oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, rear axle fluid. Examine the pads/rotors at this time or have a trusted professional give you a verdict on them.
front rotors seem fine, front pads are 4mm, brake fluid is dirty but isn’t black and yes I plan on putting new trans fluid in soon. But your right I should refresh everything

Sponsored

spankybranch

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Geoffrey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Edge ST, 2022 Mach1
I just went through some brake issues at Sebring on track, very inconsistent feel corner-to-corner. Long story short I checked tq on everything, visually inspected pads and bleed the calipers - it was fine.

As far as track I've always gone by this :

If you get a firm pedal but don’t slow down it’s an issue with the pads (glazed, over heated)

If you get a soft pedal/goes to the floor it’s a fluid issue (over heated, leak)

OP
OP

2LoudMut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just went through some brake issues at Sebring on track, very inconsistent feel corner-to-corner. Long story short I checked tq on everything, visually inspected pads and bleed the calipers - it was fine.

As far as track I've always gone by this :

If you get a firm pedal but don’t slow down it’s an issue with the pads (glazed, over heated)

If you get a soft pedal/goes to the floor it’s a fluid issue (over heated, leak)
Thanks for your input, yea I’m sure it’s an issue with the front pads, there at 4mm and I typically don’t brake very hard so I’m sure it’s a mix of needing new pads and build up of debris

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Was there a vibration? Did the steering wheel wobble? Did the brake pedal pulsate? You said you let off and re-applied - did the symptom stop and recur when you re-applied the brakes? Or did it continue even while you let off?

OP
OP

2LoudMut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was there a vibration? Did the steering wheel wobble? Did the brake pedal pulsate? You said you let off and re-applied - did the symptom stop and recur when you re-applied the brakes? Or did it continue even while you let off?
everything was shaking and luckily I had enough room to let off the brake while still moving fast and when I reapplied it immediately started doing it again. Like I said before, once I came to a complete stop and took off again right after, the brakes felt completely fine and yes when I did let off the noise and vibration stopped

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
everything was shaking and luckily I had enough room to let off the brake while still moving fast and when I reapplied it immediately started doing it again. Like I said before, once I came to a complete stop and took off again right after, the brakes felt completely fine and yes when I did let off the noise and vibration stopped
The problem is with your rotors. May be warped, or may be deposits or thickness deviation but it really doesn’t matter. Either replace or resurface if they are thick enough. New pads with that - they are 4mm anyway which is pretty thin. May as well change the fluid while you are in there, it’s old anyway. But the fluid won’t cause that symptom.
Sponsored