Sponsored

Concern - Thermotec Heat Shield Adhesive Under CF Hood Separating Due to Engine Temps?

Cookiemonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 M6 GT
Hi All,

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Anderson Composites Type SA Heat Extractor Double Sided Carbon Fiber Hood but I have some concerns I'm hoping some of you can answer (https://andersoncomposites.com/coll...ford-mustang-carbon-fiber-heat-extractor-hood).

I see that AC discuss needing to use a product like Thermotec's Heat Shield to deal with underhood temps (https://andersoncomposites.com/products/heat-shield-thermotec-aluminized-heat-barrier-adhesive-back) on the aftermarket hood, however, I've used a similar adhesive-based heat shield product that states the following...

"Heat Reflective Foil Side - Provides Radiant Heat Protection up 3000°F, NOT recommended for direct heat contact with hot metals but can withstand up to 350°F"

The above product I used on my MAF Sensor on the TB...and the adhesive separated from the foil in 5 separate application iterations.

About my setup... I have a top-mounted Hellion TT kit with turbo blankets, heat wrap on the downpipes, and ceramic coated headers. My IATs can reach 115-120 in the summer when idling in traffic, but typically do not hit over 5 degrees above ambient when moving.

Heat dissipation is the primary reason for why I'm getting this hood. But my concern is for the adhesive-based foil will not withstand the underhood temps and I'll have the same issue I'm seeing from the foil I've used on the MAF, which does not have any direct contact with exhaust housings or turbine housings, but still gets hot enough to separate the adhesive.

Is anyone out there in really hot environments using an aftermarket hood with an adhesive foil without issue? If so, what brand? Are you on a TT setup? IATs?

Any info you can provide to help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cookiemonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 M6 GT
Hi All,

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Anderson Composites Type SA Heat Extractor Double Sided Carbon Fiber Hood but I have some concerns I'm hoping some of you can answer (https://andersoncomposites.com/coll...ford-mustang-carbon-fiber-heat-extractor-hood).

I see that AC discuss needing to use a product like Thermotec's Heat Shield to deal with underhood temps (https://andersoncomposites.com/products/heat-shield-thermotec-aluminized-heat-barrier-adhesive-back) on the aftermarket hood, however, I've used a similar adhesive-based heat shield product that states the following...

"Heat Reflective Foil Side - Provides Radiant Heat Protection up 3000°F, NOT recommended for direct heat contact with hot metals but can withstand up to 350°F"

The above product I used on my MAF Sensor on the TB...and the adhesive separated from the foil in 5 separate application iterations.

About my setup... I have a top-mounted Hellion TT kit with turbo blankets, heat wrap on the downpipes, and ceramic coated headers. My IATs can reach 115-120 in the summer when idling in traffic, but typically do not hit over 5 degrees above ambient when moving.

Heat dissipation is the primary reason for why I'm getting this hood. But my concern is for the adhesive-based foil will not withstand the underhood temps and I'll have the same issue I'm seeing from the foil I've used on the MAF, which does not have any direct contact with exhaust housings or turbine housings, but still gets hot enough to separate the adhesive.

Is anyone out there in really hot environments using an aftermarket hood with an adhesive foil without issue? If so, what brand? Are you on a TT setup? IATs?

Any info you can provide to help would be greatly appreciated!
Bump for ANYONE with additional heat-adders in their engine bay and an after market hood chiming in to this topic...

OP
OP

Cookiemonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 M6 GT
I reached out to Anderson Composite directly with my question. I'll post a response when they get back to me regarding my concern for higher than stock underhood temps and thermotec adhesive holding up on a CF hood.
Sponsored