Sponsored

Comprehensive Airlift P Install (Pictures Lost)

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=8761]Jmeo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20909]d4rk_hrs[/MENTION] did you have to reset any of the suspension items(like LCAs) prior to alignment or during install? I've only seen one video that says to do it but the major company install videos didn't mention it or show it.
Hi Rob, initially I did not because I did the install on my two post lift. I "eyeballed" the camber front and rear when it was up in the air. As mentioned I installed Steeda's rear camber arm and adj toe links. When I was all set and done and the car hit the ground and after a test drive I put the car on my four post lift and clocked the front. I loosened up the front bushing bolt (most forward arm) and bearing bolt (rearmost front arm) and then aired up to 125psi squared then back down to ride height and re-tourqued them. I watched them as it raised and lowered and without a doubt it clocked itself. When I was done I could plainly see the front toe had changed quite a bit. I did not have to do the back because I have changed out all the bushings for bearings.

I would suggest clocking the bushings before an alignment not after as things definitely change during this and you do not want to get another alignment.

I must say being able to raise the car to get on my lifts without having to drive onto ramps of wood is a huge convenience :thumbsup:

4x4 mode :lol:

Sponsored

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks guys! I'll get my alignment done at a place here that does a lot of Airlift systems so they can get it all squared away. Maybe i'll eventually do all the suspension parts and get it done again.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We kind of think alike. I did something similar, but made it so the majority is removable. I only drilled holes for the tank. I used the spare tire threaded holes to bolt it down. Yours looks way better!

Hey man that's pretty cool! I like the idea of the wall to mount the tank, great idea!

Sponsored

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have started my quest (thanks to this thread) in looking for the best deals on this Airlift system...so I have a question..

Can you guys provide the dimensional size for the tanks you have used for the inside of the spare tire well & where to buy ..... I use my GT daily for work and need all the trunk space I can get so mounting the system in the well will be a major help/plus for me.

Thanks in advance
Joe

crashdb

Euro-reject
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have the four gallon suspension specialties tank. Or maybe it's three. I'd have to look. I got it from Bag Riders. They're good peeps. I wasn't super happy with the tank because it leaks. The threads aren't all that great and I've heard the same from others. I don't have any information on them but a couple of the manufacturers make an all I one system. I'm not 100% they're available yet. I'd email Bag Riders and ask them what's coming out.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is the seamless 4 gallon tank and I purchased the whole system from open road tuning. I used teflon tape AND Loctite thread sealant on all the tank connections and I have no leaks. As you can see in my post I was able to get it to fit flush inside the spare tire hole.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
I too have a specialty suspension tank and mine does not leak either. I used teflon tape and thread sealant. It is cut from one solid piece of aluminum. There are no seams to leak. If your tank is leaking then I highly recommend the thread sealant.

If you are going to go with this brand. I recommend ordering based off of the length instead of the number of gallons as this is where my order got messed up. Mine does not fit inside the spare-tire well.

The internal volume is smaller than what the external volume is listed as. A 5 gallon tank is really 3 gallons inside and depending on who is taking order. It needs to be clear as to which measurement is being used.

Some of the pros why this is a good choice for the tank:

Seamless construction. This really comes into play if you are going to powder coat/paint it and show it off. No ugly weld seams.

The mount brackets are not welded to the tank. Giving you flexibility in where and how you want to mount it.

The right size tank will fit in the spare-tire well. The standard tank from airlift will not.

crashdb

Euro-reject
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I too have a specialty suspension tank and mine does not leak either. I used teflon tape and thread sealant. It is cut from one solid piece of aluminum. There are no seams to leak. If your tank is leaking then I highly recommend the thread sealant.

If you are going to go with this brand. I recommend ordering based off of the length instead of the number of gallons as this is where my order got messed up. Mine does not fit inside the spare-tire well.

The internal volume is smaller than what the external volume is listed as. A 5 gallon tank is really 3 gallons inside and depending on who is taking order. It needs to be clear as to which measurement is being used.

Some of the pros why this is a good choice for the tank:

Seamless construction. This really comes into play if you are going to powder coat/paint it and show it off. No ugly weld seams.

The mount brackets are not welded to the tank. Giving you flexibility in where and how you want to mount it.

The right size tank will fit in the spare-tire well. The standard tank from airlift will not.
My threads have thread sealant and Teflon tape. It only leaks down a little overnight. I'm not even all that worried about it. I'm just not hip on how Suspension Specialties does the threads on their tanks. It looks great because it's not a welded on bung, but if the material stretches the way that SS does it, you're left with crappy threads. I didn't realize how bad they were until I had already powder-coated. I had had a rough time tank-wise, so I just dealt with it.

Now that I'm not on my phone and getting the evil eye from the wife: The Suspension Specialties tank is the ONLY tank I could find that would fit in the well. It sounds like the other two owners have the same tank. I looked for a long time and tried a few different tanks. My mounting board is actually a tabletop that I cut-off a side of.

I can't remember which two manufacturers are doing it, but I've gotten emails about their all-in-one systems. One, I believe is from Air Tech and it's a revision of their Air Pod. The other one was similar as well. Now they're not cheap from what I've seen, but it's basically hook up your air lines and power and ground and you're done. Again, I'm not 100% they're out yet. ORT or Bag Riders are two good sources for information.

If you decide to commit to this and need any help you can always PM me.

Edit: Looks like I was thinking of the Endo system, but the only way you'd get it to work correctly is two of their smaller tanks.

Here's a link to the upcoming Air Pod: http://www.ridetech.com/info/airpod2017/ There's no dimensions for it or anything, but it looks to be one very clean system that hopefully will fit into spare tire wells. I think the last I heard it's supposed to be out this summer. The current Air Pods don't look to fit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
My threads have thread sealant and Teflon tape. It only leaks down a little overnight. I'm not even all that worried about it. I'm just not hip on how Suspension Specialties does the threads on their tanks. It looks great because it's not a welded on bung, but if the material stretches the way that SS does it, you're left with crappy threads. I didn't realize how bad they were until I had already powder-coated. I had had a rough time tank-wise, so I just dealt with it.
Sounds like I got lucky then. My tank has been holding steady. I check it frequently by turning off the 'rise on start' feature and letting the car sit for a day or two at my ride height. I turn on auxiliary power and check the pressure setting in the controller and it holds.

The other all-in-one tank manufacture is floairride http://floairride.com/ They make really nice tanks but they will not fit in the spare-tire well.

crashdb

Euro-reject
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Sounds like I got lucky then. My tank has been holding steady. I check it frequently by turning off the 'rise on start' feature and letting the car sit for a day or two at my ride height. I turn on auxiliary power and check the pressure setting in the controller and it holds.

The other all-in-one tank manufacture is floairride http://floairride.com/ They make really nice tanks but they will not fit in the spare-tire well.
You did. I saw many folks complaining about the threads on their tanks. I could maybe remove the fittings, chase the threads, reseal, and it might make it better, but really it only loses 10-15 lbs a night. The bags themselves hold air for weeks. I had gotten to the point where I was done screwing with the whole system.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Those Flo Airride tanks are nice! Is it the height of the tank that won't work?
I think it is more the length that won't fit in the well.

I just remembered one other thing to keep in mind for those that are going to be ordering an air ride setup.

There are two popular sizes of air lines, 1/4 and 3/8. For the mustang I recommend going with the 1/4 it is much easier to run and is more flexible.

If you are going with the complete air lift kit including their tank. Then you will get all of the right connectors/fittings you need. The tank has 1/4 ports.

If you go with a different brand of tank make sure whoever you order from knows this information and includes the right size fittings for your tank and lines. My specialty suspension tank which is bigger than some came with 1 1/4 drain port and 4 3/8 ports. I run two compressors (two connections), one connection for my train horns, one connection for the water trap and one for the drain port. The specialty suspension tank that fits in the well has 1/4 ports.

Since my lines are 1/4 I needed (2) 3/8 male NPT to 1/4 female NPT fittings for the compressors and (1) 3/8 male NPT to 1/4 female PTC (push to connect fittings) for the water trap. (1) 1/4 male NPT to 1/4 PTC for the drain line. (1) 3/8 male NPT to 3/8 PTC for the train horn.

If I had known all this when I bought the kit I would have requested all of the correct fittings were included. What you will get is the bag of connectors that come with airlift and it might or might not have all of the right fittings you want.

I wanted 90 degree connectors for my compressors and since they are 3/8 male NPT to 1/4 female NPT which appears to be not a common size. The only place that carried it was Amazon. No local plumbing place, Fasnel or anywhere else I looked had it. I could find a straight connector at Home Depot but a 90 degree connector was nearly impossible to find.

Oh yeah, the add a fuse tap that comes with the airlift kit does not work with the Mustang. The correct one that will work is this https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Add-A-...7155&wl11=online&wl12=904748631&wl13=&veh=sem

You can go into Walmart and pick it up or order it online.

crashdb

Euro-reject
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Huh. I remember measuring 26" across against the rear of the well. And they have a 24" tank. Does that sound right?

I will second that be sure and map out the fittings you think you'll need for the set-up. Fortunately, Bag Riders had everything I needed and/or Amazon. There were a few orders to get everything I needed (I changed some things once I got it all into the trunk). If you end up with the Air Lift kit, I would highly recommend changing out the check valve that comes on the ViAir compressor. They're known to take a crap frequently.

I ran my power straight to the battery and the switched power is off the fuel pump wiring under the rear seat. It's kind of funny that way because as soon as I hit the clutch pedal everything comes on. Might want to reconsider that.
Sponsored