Sponsored

Comprehensive Airlift P Install (Pictures Lost)

TheGame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Sorry that I am side tracking away from the thread Jmeo, but what is the name of your rear valance and your wheels. Was the valance hard to install?

Thanks
Sponsored

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
Car is so sexy !

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The car handles even better with bags. I have tried 3 different sets of springs, 3 different shocks and strut setups and then switched to KW V3 coilovers. I just took the KW's out, which I thought were incredible and I am blown away with how much better Airlift is. I looked into this and apparently air is even superior tracking the car as well.

Oh damnnn... I need to start looking for the best deal on these bags....
Guess I just found my next mod for the Stang..:headbang:

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Really, really good. I've been weighing this up for a while and you've made it look fantastic

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry that I am side tracking away from the thread Jmeo, but what is the name of your rear valance and your wheels. Was the valance hard to install?

Thanks
Its a Trufiber quad tip valance. It's not that bad to install but to do it right you will want to pull off the rear bumper cover.

Sponsored

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Here is my car air'd all the way out. You would have to do some major cutting to the wheel wells to get it that low.

In the below picture I am sitting hard on the tires in the front on a 20x9 with a 255/35/20 G2 tire. Tires make a difference as well. These 20" G2s have an overall diameter similar to the stock PP wheels. The MPSS 20" are a whole inch shorter in the same diameter as the g2s which would bring the car down even lower.
I've seen your videos and was actually what I was watching while getting the details worked out with what I wanted lol. I don't actually WANT to slam out. I was just curious what the lowest I would go before touching the tires. I love the way yours looks on IG and YouTube!

As far as tires, my rear tires are 26.7" compared to the stock 27.2" from the base wheels and tires but are a lot wider lol. 325 vs 235. So, does the system detect how hard you're sitting on the wheels to prevent damage or is it something you just take slow and make a judgement call?

I've never been able to touch the rails to the pavement. I end up resting on the G-Track brace up front. It's taken a beating haha
That's plenty low enough for me. I basically just want to be low enough to get rid of any visible tire/well gap when taking pictures or parked.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I basically just want to be low enough to get rid of any visible tire/well gap when taking pictures or parked.
You will be able to do this no problem. I also had no intentions of airing out but let me tell you now that I've seen it I can't un-see it lol.

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Equip.Group 400A
Oustanding job, Jaime. All your hard work and patience paid off. Show quality. Incredible ingenuity. Car looks "drop" dead gorgeous. Glad you made the switch to Air Lift. My only regret was not doing it sooner. BTW, thanks for taking the time to document this for others. It's a pain in the rear to stop when you're in the middle of this install and to have the where withall to take pics when you get focused. I was swimming in a pool of WTFrick when I did my install. Now members will have THIS. Nicely done.:headbang:

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
I've seen your videos and was actually what I was watching while getting the details worked out with what I wanted lol. I don't actually WANT to slam out. I was just curious what the lowest I would go before touching the tires. I love the way yours looks on IG and YouTube!

As far as tires, my rear tires are 26.7" compared to the stock 27.2" from the base wheels and tires but are a lot wider lol. 325 vs 235. So, does the system detect how hard you're sitting on the wheels to prevent damage or is it something you just take slow and make a judgement call?

That's plenty low enough for me. I basically just want to be low enough to get rid of any visible tire/well gap when taking pictures or parked.
* Long response :D

This is what makes air so great. You can set it however you want real-time. :headbang:

I should have re-phrased that a little better. What I meant by hard is, the inner fender liners are touching the tires in the front. The car is not drive-able when it is fully air'd out like some other car brands are able to do. It does not slam down on the tires. Nor is it causing any damage to the tires.

I can put my finger in there and feel the tires touching but there is no warping or bending of the liners like they are being crushed by the weight of the car. There is a lot more clearance in the rear and they do not touch at all. You can even spin the collars on the struts higher to fully eliminate that if you want. The car just wont sit all the way down.

I am able to get to 0 psi when I fully air the car out and it is only when the car is parked and not moving that it is in this state. It also makes a good theft deterrent if need be and for ultimate peace of mind you can even take the controller with you. Just turn off auto rise on start.

Plus the reactions from people when they stand there with their mouth open when the car is coming down is addicting. :D

There is no safety mechanism that will auto up if it detects resistance. The most important thing to always remember if you air the car out is the steering wheel is perfectly straight. If the wheel is turned and you air out, the car will come down and the tire will damage the fender.

This is why I run a 255/35 tire on a 20x9 wheel in the front. I have a good amount of wiggle room. The 275/35 works but it is very close to the fender and i just didn't feel comfortable with the minimal clearance.

When I first purchased aftermarket wheels. I had a 20x10 with 5mm spacers and it just would not work without running a good bit of negative camber. Wheel offset has a big impact here as well.

In the picture below is a 275/35/20 G2 tire on a 20x10 wheel. You can see how the tire/wheel is too wide. This is at approximately 20 psi with the camber plates set at 0. I could hear the front bumper cover start cracking under the weight of the car. I was manually lowering the car with the individual switches and monitoring it.

If I had just air'd the car out it would have come down and f'ed up the fender and bumper cover. I swapped to the wheels that are on the car now and went to a 255/35 tire on a 20x9 wheel

The only thing I regret is not researching tires more before I bought the G2s. I would have gone with the MPSS. They are an inch lower than the G2s and got the car down even lower to the ground.

None of this is to scare off anyone thinking about going air. Just information that you need to keep in mind when making decisions. I am completely happy with going this route and would not go back to any other suspension set-up. There are way to many pros versus cons.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
You will be able to do this no problem. I also had no intentions of airing out but let me tell you now that I've seen it I can't un-see it lol.
Sorry... I just had to do it. :D:D

loudoun1_front_zpskvarwury.jpg

loudoun1_frontend_fix_zpsmxzgpdna.jpg

bridge_side_zpsvfwoxw8p.jpg

Sponsored

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks Gentlemen! I guess I'll just have to play around with it first. Darn ;)

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The only thing I regret is not researching tires more before I bought the G2s. I would have gone with the MPSS. They are an inch lower than the G2s and got the car down even lower to the ground.
first of all, car looks great man! secondly, surely youre not blaming the G2's here are you? the Pilot Super Sports are worlds better no doubt, but thats a sizing issue you chose, not a tire issue.......

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
first of all, car looks great man! secondly, surely youre not blaming the G2's here are you? the Pilot Super Sports are worlds better no doubt, but thats a sizing issue you chose, not a tire issue.......
Thanks!

Absolutely not am I blaming the tires at all. The G2s are amazing tires and I am very happy with their performance. Would buy them again based off of that.

I just didn't even think about overall tire size when I was determining which ones to go with. However, having the knowledge now and knowing there is considerable differences in overall tire sizes for a given size. Some brands are even taller than the factory tires. I would have gone with the MPSS even though they are a lot more money just to get that extra drop.

I just put that info in there for others to consider when determining their needs. When I purchased my kit my original plan was do the spare tire well install as well. There was a mix up when the air tank was ordered from specialty suspension and the tank was too big to fit in the well. The tank was ordered based off of the size in gallons and it should have been done based on overall length. The internal air volume is smaller than the advertised size. A 5 gallon is really 3 internally. Another helpful tip for others.

I kept the tank and decided to go a different route with the install instead of sending it back.

I am getting ready to do my third air lift install and this time I think I will do a video of the entire process to further help people.

The pictures of the car above, my car, except for the stop the hop kit everything was done in my garage on jack stands using hand tools. Installing the air lift kit can be done by just about anyone with a handful of tools, a place to do it and the willingness to give it a try. It really is not that hard.

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
[MENTION=8761]Jmeo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20909]d4rk_hrs[/MENTION] did you have to reset any of the suspension items(like LCAs) prior to alignment or during install? I've only seen one video that says to do it but the major company install videos didn't mention it or show it.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
@Jmeo and @d4rk_hrs did you have to reset any of the suspension items(like LCAs) prior to alignment or during install? I've only seen one video that says to do it but the major company install videos didn't mention it or show it.
It is recommended that you do it and I will take care of it when I get the alignment done.

My car is not a daily driver but I do drive it often and I installed my kit last May and my tires still look like they are wearing ok. Car has 11k miles on it and the kit was installed when it had 3k miles.

I know of two other cars that rode around for a year at least before they did an alignment without issues.

It is highly recommended to re-clock the bushings and get an alignment but it does not need to be done immediately.
Sponsored