Comparison? Michelin Pilot Super Sport vs Pilot Sport 4S

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
What's the difference between these two tires? Even the wording on the web site is nearly identical:

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/pilot/pilot-sport-4s.html
vs
https://www.michelinman.com/tires/pilot/pilot-super-sport.html

My GT350 wears Super Sports and I'm very pleased with them. The 4S does not come in the OEM size so theoretically Michelin doesn't want those two tires competing against one another. But I think many have said that the 4S will eventually replace the SS.

Anyone with some expertise or actual information care to elaborate here?

Oh, and Michelin does not produce it's High Performance All seasons in the exact OEM size. It looks like the closest thing they offer is this:
PILOT SPORT A/S PLUS N-SPEC - SIZE: 285/40R19
High Performance All-Season

THOUGHTS?
Sponsored

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
OK.

PSS vs. PS4S. I used both of these on my 2011 GT500. In general the PS4S is an modest upgrade over the PSS. Slightly better dry grip. Bigger improvement in wet grip. Better grip when not warmed up yet. I did not that the PS4S is more sensitive to very cold (below freezing) temperatures, so I put the GT500 away a little sooner for winter.

For my GT350, I switched to the A/S 3+ (275/35/R19 front, 285/35/R19 rear) and have been really liking them. I am sure they are slower on a track, but on the street they just grip and scoot on corners or straight aways (slightly less grip on a hard launch - but haven't tried launch control yet). It is very nice not having to worry about rain or cold. Still plan to put her in storage before the first snow to avoid the salt.

OP
OP
AdamIsAdam

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
...For my GT350, I switched to the A/S 3+ (275/35/R19 front, 285/35/R19 rear) and have been really liking them. I am sure they are slower on a track, but on the street they just grip and scoot on corners or straight aways (slightly less grip on a hard launch - but haven't tried launch control yet). It is very nice not having to worry about rain or cold. Still plan to put her in storage before the first snow to avoid the salt.
That's a decent review of the A/S's, thanks. I'm curious why you didn't use the 285/35x19 on all 4 corners? They're narrower than stock anyway.

I'm bummed that Michelin doesn't make these in the OEM sizes. You would think they would make this tire in every size they sell to broaden potential for sales. I have a friend with a C7 Z06 and he just put the all season's on so he doesn't have to worry about cold weather grip. I just drive mine all year (ON NON-SALT ROADS ONLY) and I take it easy when I drive on them. Seems ok. It's not my DD'er so I'm not going to bother to run two sets of tires.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
That's a decent review of the A/S's, thanks. I'm curious why you didn't use the 285/35x19 on all 4 corners? They're narrower than stock anyway.

I'm bummed that Michelin doesn't make these in the OEM sizes. You would think they would make this tire in every size they sell to broaden potential for sales. I have a friend with a C7 Z06 and he just put the all season's on so he doesn't have to worry about cold weather grip. I just drive mine all year (ON NON-SALT ROADS ONLY) and I take it easy when I drive on them. Seems ok. It's not my DD'er so I'm not going to bother to run two sets of tires.
I wanted to keep a staggered setup to maintain the handling characteristics as close as I could. I think either the cup 2 tires run small or the A/S 3+ run big, because the difference in tire width isn't nearly as large as you think it would be. Barely noticable when it should be almost an inch. With these sizes, the speedometer is a bit off, but nothing horrible (~1mph at 60mph)

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
OK.

PSS vs. PS4S. I used both of these on my 2011 GT500. In general the PS4S is an modest upgrade over the PSS. Slightly better dry grip. Bigger improvement in wet grip. Better grip when not warmed up yet.
This^ Pretty much sums up the difference.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ABADHBT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Vehicle Showcase
OK.

PSS vs. PS4S. I used both of these on my 2011 GT500. In general the PS4S is an modest upgrade over the PSS. Slightly better dry grip. Bigger improvement in wet grip. Better grip when not warmed up yet. I did not that the PS4S is more sensitive to very cold (below freezing) temperatures, so I put the GT500 away a little sooner for winter.

For my GT350, I switched to the A/S 3+ (275/35/R19 front, 285/35/R19 rear) and have been really liking them. I am sure they are slower on a track, but on the street they just grip and scoot on corners or straight aways (slightly less grip on a hard launch - but haven't tried launch control yet). It is very nice not having to worry about rain or cold. Still plan to put her in storage before the first snow to avoid the salt.
Do you have pics you could post. I’d like to compare the look, height, etc compared to the stock.

ABADHBT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Please excuse her being dirty

PXL_20201115_142832443.jpg

PXL_20201115_142839683.jpg

PXL_20201115_142850222.jpg

PXL_20201115_142902187.jpg

PXL_20201115_142927830.jpg
Thanks for the pics, they look good on her. The stance and all looks the same, how do you like the feel of the tire? I did the same on my GT500 put some all weather tires on and the difference in drive was night and day. I thought the ride was much better with the all weather tires. With less than ~1 mph difference there really shouldn't be much of a notice. Any other thoughts you have about them? Thanks.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Thanks for the pics, they look good on her. The stance and all looks the same, how do you like the feel of the tire? I did the same on my GT500 put some all weather tires on and the difference in drive was night and day. I thought the ride was much better with the all weather tires. With less than ~1 mph difference there really shouldn't be much of a notice. Any other thoughts you have about them? Thanks.
A few other minor things. I have seen a small decrease in road noise (hard to tell with exhaust in sport mode!). Ride is very slightly smoother. Gas mileage is slight better (avg of just under 1mpg in mixed driving). Overall nothing to right home about.

I highly recommend these tires for street use based on my experience so far. That said I see the benefits of the stock cup 2s if you are tracking it and going foe the best possible time or want absolute maximum warm and dry grip.

Sponsored

RBELUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT P1
Vehicle Showcase
I just went 12k on PSS for mixed use weekend and HDPE. 275/35 19x10 front and 305/30 19x11rear stagger. I replaced the PS4s from stock purchased PP1. I immediately noticed the PSS seemed a little louder and the concrete joints were felt and heard. Now after putting on 285/35 and 325/30 MP4S I'm enjoying a better ride. I have a track event this weekend so I'll get to test the 4S in track duty.

ABADHBT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Vehicle Showcase
A few other minor things. I have seen a small decrease in road noise (hard to tell with exhaust in sport mode!). Ride is very slightly smoother. Gas mileage is slight better (avg of just under 1mpg in mixed driving). Overall nothing to right home about.

I highly recommend these tires for street use based on my experience so far. That said I see the benefits of the stock cup 2s if you are tracking it and going foe the best possible time or want absolute maximum warm and dry grip.
Perfect! What I expected to hear. I really don't have plans to track or anything other than just enjoy and drive it. I know some might say you can't enjoy it if you don't track it or whatever. How long have you had them on? Thanks for all the info sotek2345

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Perfect! What I expected to hear. I really don't have plans to track or anything other than just enjoy and drive it. I know some might say you can't enjoy it if you don't track it or whatever. How long have you had them on? Thanks for all the info sotek2345
A little over a month.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
As far as I know, the PS4Ss replaced the PSSs, so PSS tires are going to be older tires, so beware of that. I'd ask for the DOT production date code (XXYY) before buying. The XXs are week (01 to 52), and YY year.

As a final comment, there's a new Michelin UHP A/S tire, the A/S4, but currently it's not made in PP1 sizes, and I assume even less likely if larger. Hopefully soon.

OP
OP
AdamIsAdam

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
As far as I know, the PS4Ss replaced the PSSs...
Well then how come they only make the GT350 sizes in the PSS, not in the PS4S? Hence my confusion.
Sponsored