Comparison: BMR CB005 Gen1 vs Gen2

Wamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
In looking at pictures of the CB005 from different sellers, there seems to be an older and a newer version of BMR’s CB005 lockout.

I’m cheap. Naturally, I ended up with a used, older version of BMR’s CB005. Used it for about 3 months with no issue.

Last month, I bought a group of parts that happened to include the new version of the BK055 lockout. I was curious about the differences, and I hadn’t seen a side-by-side comparison here, so please see below if you’re curious.

I didn’t notice a big difference between the results. Maybe slight - but nothing you would really notice on the street. No difference in NVH. I do like the look of the newer lockout and it seems like a more stable method of controlling the subframe.

I didn’t notice a big difference between the results. Maybe slight - but nothing you would really notice on the street. No difference in NVH. I do like the look of the newer lockout and it seems like a more stable method of controlling the subframe. Build quality is the same between both.

31715213-49E5-4DD1-9F10-767368811618.jpeg

7B74861C-81BC-46D0-B894-A83512A93273.jpeg

2539D022-2C0B-47DA-B188-E6ED2CC53688.jpeg

00742D08-1654-49E0-BDAA-D68B4273836A.jpeg

A38B017C-E022-43E3-8132-8CBF61CD53DD.jpeg
Sponsored

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
That part actually doesn't serve much purpose compared to just a spacer to fill the gap below the bushing. Heck, you could stack washers to fill the void and it would work as well. Lol. It is nice to have the lug that goes inside the bushing sleeve to assist in squaring the subframe. Its also very convenient to use as a jacking point.

The reason for the redesign is that Steeda filed a patent infringement lawsuit over that washer design. Lol....... Yea. They're that petty.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
BMR needs to send their welder back to school.
The reason for the redesign is that Steeda filed a patent infringement lawsuit over that washer design. Lol....... Yea. They're that petty.
it has nothing to do with being 'petty'. If you don't defend the patent it becomes null and void. We can argue whether the USPTO should have granted it, but they did and if BMR wants to play they need to challenge the ruling. But it's far faster and cheaper to mod the part to not be infringing.

OP
OP
Wamp

Wamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That part actually doesn't serve much purpose compared to just a spacer to fill the gap below the bushing. Heck, you could stack washers to fill the void and it would work as well. Lol. It is nice to have the lug that goes inside the bushing sleeve to assist in squaring the subframe. Its also very convenient to use as a jacking point.

Hah, interesting. I’d wondered what the difference was. Was kinda hoping you’d chime in.

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
it has nothing to do with being 'petty'.
No. Its petty. Its a flex. Keep flexing at a company that's rapidly growing as they are and it could rapidly backfire.
Hah, interesting. I’d wondered what the difference was. Was kinda hoping you’d chime in.
If you ever have any Qs or want legit no fluff no smoke and mirror info, lmk

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
No. Its petty. Its a flex. Keep flexing at a company that's rapidly growing as they are and it could rapidly backfire.
clearly you dont' understand the difference between the legalistic requirement to defend a patent, and the soft/feely aspect of being perceived by some customers of acting in a "petty" manner. Steeda may not want to sue, and may well have asked BMR nicely to not force their hand, but in the face of infringement they MUST sue or the IP is no longer protected.

If BMR wants to contest the award on 'obviousness' grounds they can. If they want to have a gentlemen's agreement with Steeda to not throw legal suits around between themselves they can. Nothing prevents Steeda and BMR from entering a cross-licensing agreement, in exchange for some/none consideration.

Most of human progress has derived from the wholesale ripping off (ie. copying) of someone else's neat ideas and improving upon them. Sure, we can all sit around our campfire and smoke on the peace pipe but given that we have a system however imperfect for the inventor getting compensated for his idea/creation, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the grantee follows the rules of the process.

Last edited:

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
The last thing I'd accuse BMR of doing is copying someone else's design. While steeda makes some good parts, the people over their PR honestly have a lot of growing up to do. Seen a few instances on this forum alone that involved some snarky or just downright immature comments made by the Steeda rep. So it's not a stretch to imagine steeda doing it to be petty. Not trying to throw any punches because like I said, Steeda makes some great parts. The line between accusing a company of patent infringement and understanding that, especially with cars, part design performed by 2 equally-capable companies can usually result in both making parts that look VERY similar and perform with the same end result, can sometimes be very slim. Sure if they have proof that a BMR employee objectively bought a set of steeda parts and objectively reverse engineered its design to sell it as their own design, then they would have a case. But from what little I saw of this ordeal, I didn't see anything that pointed towards any of that. However, it was still far cheaper for BMR to make a small, nearly insignificant change to keep from spending money on a court battle. All of that being said, they still aren't as bad as Hotpart.com (J&M Products) with the whole jacking rail debacle. :facepalm:
Sponsored