Comparing the GT with Porsche Cayman 718

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
Remember that a Cayman is probably a sub 2900lb car. HALF A TON lighter than a S550 Mustang GT.
Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I believe many of you are influenced by sound a lot more than you think. Your perception of acceleration changes quite a lot if you can't hear it.
Sound is part of the equation. The driving experience isn't the same without sound. Lack of it is why electric is so boring in my opinion.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Curious, I wanted a 981 S / GTS before buying the Mustang (wife wanted "back seats")...

Did yours have an exhaust? The 3.4L with an exhaust sounds intoxicating and IMO is a way better driving experience than the Mustang.

That being said, I do love my Mustang but still want a 981.
The GTS model of the Boxter and Cayman are just about at the top of that platform, and should have the Sport Exhaust. If I could have touched either of them for the mid 50K price point, I would be driving one, but they are hard to come by and are priced mid 70's, so almost $30K more than the Bullitt. I have no regrets, but $$ being equal, I'd be in a P car

Main difference in the motors and sound is that in the Mustang, the Coyote makes nice sounds from idle to redline, but in the Porsche, the intoxicating howl starts at 4K.......

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
The GTS model of the Boxter and Cayman are just about at the top of that platform, and should have the Sport Exhaust. If I could have touched either of them for the mid 50K price point, I would be driving one, but they are hard to come by and are priced mid 70's, so almost $30K more than the Bullitt. I have no regrets, but $$ being equal, I'd be in a P car

Main difference in the motors and sound is that in the Mustang, the Coyote makes nice sounds from idle to redline, but in the Porsche, the intoxicating howl starts at 4K.......
Yeah, the Mustang absolutely has more down low grunt in both power and sound. Can't argue that.

Above 4k though the flat 6 motor just wails. Love it.

I'm actually going to Vegas next month and booked time at the Speedway to drive both a stock 981 GTS and a fully track prepped and gutted 981 back to back for some hot laps. Can't wait.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Remember that a Cayman is probably a sub 2900lb car. HALF A TON lighter than a S550 Mustang GT.
Yes, but add two useable rear seats, extra cabin room, trunk space, engine bay so you can service the car without engine removal to Cayman and you'll see weight difference will be less if any.

These cars are too different to be side by side performance compared.

But yes, I could see how I could cross shop Porsche, GT and GT350 from cost / driver's experience point of view.

I ended up in a '17GT because of incredible cost/value ratio of it at the time.

And I can DD/enjoy it daily with no regrets/maintenance cost concerns at all.

Sponsored

JacksonvilleBill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 M1672
I bought a 21 Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0 in January. Then bought a 21 Mach 1, handling package with Tremec in April. I intended to keep both cars because they are so different. I sold the Boxster last month because I almost stopped driving it because I like the Mach 1 so much, didn't make sense to me to keep the Porsche with such a demand for them now. I don't miss it and really enjoy being back in a Mustang again, especially the American V8 muscle car sound, reminds me of my classic big block Mustangs I use to have!

21mach1-c.JPG

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
I bought a 21 Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0 in January. Then bought a 21 Mach 1, handling package with Tremec in April. I intended to keep both cars because they are so different. I sold the Boxster last month because I almost stopped driving it because I like the Mach 1 so much, didn't make sense to me to keep the Porsche with such a demand for them now. I don't miss it and really enjoy being back in a Mustang again, especially the American V8 muscle car sound, reminds me of my classic big block Mustangs I use to have!

21mach1-c.JPG
I know the feeling. No doubt the Porsche is an amazing machine and maybe better than the mustang objectively but again it boils down to what you enjoy. I actually enjoy the mustang more on the streets at low speeds.

bozack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM
I know the feeling. No doubt the Porsche is an amazing machine and maybe better than the mustang objectively but again it boils down to what you enjoy. I actually enjoy the mustang more on the streets at low speeds.
I was laser focused on getting a Cayman S or GTS, was all I wanted, toyed for a minute with ordering a C8 but just couldn't warm up to the style especially when compared to the Porsche. Plus it was just small enough to fit in my third garage bay. I was going to have that, get an S5 for daily, and my wife loved her Q5 so I thought I had it all planned out, some nice refined German engineering.

Then a friend of mine got a GT500 and I got a chance to take it for a spin....and it brought me back to my old Fox body days of just having a blast.

I also considered seating and size and I can't see my wife getting into the Cayman given how cramped it is and low, and its crazy how much used ones cost.

Started looking at a Mach 1 and just placed an order the other day.

I am sure the Porsche is much nicer and more refined, and no doubt it would be a great drive, but the Mustang just seems like it would be more fun, and also maybe more trouble with tickets (hopefully not)

Last edited:

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I was laser focused on getting a Cayman S or GTS, was all I wanted, toyed for a minute with ordering a C8 but just couldn't warm up to the style especially when compared to the Porsche. Plus it was just small enough to fit in my third garage bay. I was going to have that, get an S5 for daily, and my wife loved her Q5 so I thought I had it all planned out, some nice refined German engineering.

Then a friend of mine got a GT500 and I got a chance to take it for a spin....and it brought me back to my old Fox body days of just having a blast.

I also considered seating and size and I can't see my wife getting into the Cayman given how cramped it is and low, and its crazy how much used ones cost.

Started looking at a Mach 1 and just placed an order the other day.

I am sure the Porsche is much nicer and more refined, and no doubt it would be a great drive, but the Mustang just seems like it would be more fun, and also maybe more trouble with tickets (hopefully not)
I enjoy driving GT 6 speed much more than my wife's 718 Cayman. Don't get me wrong, the Cayman is far superior in handling, interior layout along with excellent user interfaces, etc., but the small engine Turbor (no turbo lag at all), sure ain't like the pure muscle of 5.0L. And, don't forget the awesome exhaust sound. Also, it's 30% cost of the Cayman.

bozack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM
I enjoy driving GT 6 speed much more than my wife's 718 Cayman. Don't get me wrong, the Cayman is far superior in handling, interior layout along with excellent user interfaces, etc., but the small engine Turbor (no turbo lag at all), sure ain't like the pure muscle of 5.0L. And, don't forget the awesome exhaust sound. Also, it's 30% cost of the Cayman.
Yeah I feel it will be the same for me, though I don't have experience driving a 718, I think I would have loved it on some level, maybe make me feel more adult....but the kid in me will prefer the Mach 1 and as weird as it sounds I do think it is more practical

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

21mach1-c.JPG
I love my car, but the Mach 1 looks like a cartoon compared to the Porsche.

JacksonvilleBill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 M1672
I love my car, but the Mach 1 looks like a cartoon compared to the Porsche.
I like our cartoon cars! Maybe it is because I played with so many HotWheel cars when I was a kid. I was at the Porsche dealer Saturday looking around to see if there was anything I wanted more than my Mach 1, I saw some awesome cars, but nothing I wanted more than the Mach 1, even though they cost 5 times as much!

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Interesting thread for me. A few months ago I sold my 2018 Cayman GTS with super low miles. I didn t have it a year and was a second car. I have owned 4 Porsches including a 911. The cars are made to near perfection for sure. The cost is high also. My issues was although the PDK is a super transmission I just couldn t get past the lack of fun compared to my 6 speed 911 i had previously owned. So after owning the Cayman I sold it for $74K which was $1K more than i paid. My thought was I m getting a new 2021 Mach 1 for around $20K less. so I m waiting for my M! , 6 speed to arrive. I am a little unsettled with if the Mustang will meet my expectations. A few test drives really don t tell me much IMO. I factored in the cheaper maintaince (which i do most of myself, even on the Porsche), and a $20K savings, a new car, a little larger and took the chance.
A little more on the Cayman/ so 2018 up went to a 4 cylinder turbo instead of the flat 6. It s a mid engine light weight car, takes off like a rocket with no wheel spin, just hooks up. I think it put out 380 hp. It was a super sports car. i think i couldn t get over the automatic and the 4 cylinder. That s alot of $$ for a 4 cylinder car IMO. The previous generation had the flat 6 which was really classically great .
So i hope the M1, despite the bad quality control reported by many, will keep my interest.
I don t track MY cars.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Interesting thread for me. A few months ago I sold my 2018 Cayman GTS with super low miles. I didn t have it a year and was a second car. I have owned 4 Porsches including a 911. The cars are made to near perfection for sure. The cost is high also. My issues was although the PDK is a super transmission I just couldn t get past the lack of fun compared to my 6 speed 911 i had previously owned. So after owning the Cayman I sold it for $74K which was $1K more than i paid. My thought was I m getting a new 2021 Mach 1 for around $20K less. so I m waiting for my M! , 6 speed to arrive. I am a little unsettled with if the Mustang will meet my expectations. A few test drives really don t tell me much IMO. I factored in the cheaper maintaince (which i do most of myself, even on the Porsche), and a $20K savings, a new car, a little larger and took the chance.
A little more on the Cayman/ so 2018 up went to a 4 cylinder turbo instead of the flat 6. It s a mid engine light weight car, takes off like a rocket with no wheel spin, just hooks up. I think it put out 380 hp. It was a super sports car. i think i couldn t get over the automatic and the 4 cylinder. That s alot of $$ for a 4 cylinder car IMO. The previous generation had the flat 6 which was really classically great .
So i hope the M1, despite the bad quality control reported by many, will keep my interest.
I don t track MY cars.
To me, nothing beyond my basic desire of a certain model says more about a car than the care and quality of it's assembly, fit and paint.

Last edited:

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
To me, nothing beyond my basic desire of a certain model says more about a car than the care and quality of it's assembly and paint.
So i know the German Porsche plant is one of the best in the world IMO. Don t know anything about Flatrock (and Ford for that matter). Care to elaborate ?
Sponsored