Sponsored

Coming from MOPAR to Mustang. Too much of a sports car???

TheYankeeMarshal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Yankee
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Hello everyone. I am a newbie here (Just picked up a 2021 Mustang GT Premium after getting sick of waiting for a special order Charger to start production) and just wanted to say how blown away I am by the new Mustangs handling.

I previously owned a 2009 Mustang GT with solid rear axle and I cannot believe the difference. I loved the 2009 but I had to trade it in just a few months after buying it because we adopted our sons and the car seat would not fit in the back. Now that they are 17 and 23 that is not an issue.

Am I crazy or does this new model seem like a German precision sports car compared to the older models? I might be exaggerating the difference in my head since it has been 12 years between cars, but I am just floored by how it handles the winding river roads I live out (Live in PNW). Even in the rain it stays well planted. The magneride suspension really kept it level too.

I know some people complain that it is now too much of a sports car and not enough of a muscle car (and I was a bit worried about that when I bought it) but the way it tears up the straights and still pulls hard through corners as well makes me feel like it is the best of both worlds. I am starting to think I made the right decision getting the Mustang over the Scat Pack Widebody.

Anyone else in here come over to the Mustang from MOPAR? Regret your decision?

C381A95F-A0E6-4EAF-8ECB-630EC68B6D0A.jpg
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Paging @Mikthehun1 lol.

These cars handle pretty well indeed for their size and weight. There are many improvements you can make of course, but the chassis is pretty good. Even on the base model. The dampers if you don't have magneride are kinda sub par, but overall you can still hustle through corners with good tires. I've had some really zippy good handling cars in the past, and this isn't too far off the mark considering it weighs far more.

With that said it's definitely not "too much" sports car. It's definitely on the softer side for comfort and user experience, which is a good thing. Over the last year I've found it's pretty much the ultimate daily driver, blending fun and satisfying vehicle dynamics with bulletproof usability in all situations except carrying more than 2 people.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
Welcome to the forum! There's a fun section for posting pics by color too.

I haven't owned a modern Mopar but like you, I initially was shopping that side of the aisle. I only looked at the Mustang to do my due diligence to make sure I wouldn't have any regrets. I am glad I did. After owning it for a while, I don't think it is quite far enough on the sports car side of the spectrum. Mine is a daily driver but seldom with passengers so works well for me.

I have the magneride as well, but wish it had more user control of settings.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
Oh and it looks like you are getting her properly dirty too! notagaragequeen ;-)

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Welcome!

I've got both. They're so different that I couldn't possibly choose between them. Either one is a good choice, so you've made the right decision.

But, if you can swing it, the rightest decision is both :crackup:
Challenger and Mustang here. Love them both for different reasons, and each is not a substitute for the other.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I love mine because of creature comforts and bells and whistles, it is more comfortable on a hwy ride at 85mph than my 2018 Accord, and it can run like a scalded dog when needed.

BTDUBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I considered the Challenger as well as the Mustang and I absolutely loved both. Looking at the challenger makes me weak at the knees, especially the 392 Widebody, not that the Mustang isn't a jaw dropper either. I got a better deal on the Mustang and the rev happy nature of the Coyote, better handling, and a dealer willing to make a deal sold me on the Mustang. I love what Dodge and Ford have done with their V8 monsters.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Congrats and great purchase!

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
So, Mustang is not intended to be a Muscle Car, nor is it intended to be Sports Car. It's, historically, a Pony Car, which kinda rode in between those two labels. Of course, it's grown quite a bit, and now is bigger/more powerful than what would traditionally be a Muscle Car, but has the ability to turn.

Given that you spec'd your car with PP1 and Magneride, you're getting the best iteration of the S550, without going to a Shelby, Mach 1, BULLITT, or PP2 (which is not a great daily driver, due to the tramlining issues). Your car is set up to turn, and only needs a few things to make it a truly great handler. If you're looking to make it better, look into an MGW shifter, Steeda Stop the Hop kit, and a better alignment.

I came from a 2006 GT Premium, and while I do kinda miss the live axle for certain reasons, the S550 trumps it in literally every way. I feel like this is the first time they've been able to make a car that is a true Grand Tourer, while at the same time, being able to go straight fast and turn fast.

JR

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Tramlining is fun when you are driving on city asphalt rutted up by large truck traffic lol. Feels like a bumper car.

Sponsored

JRV1631

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium, 2021 Explorer ST
Hello everyone. I am a newbie here (Just picked up a 2021 Mustang GT Premium after getting sick of waiting for a special order Charger to start production) and just wanted to say how blown away I am by the new Mustangs handling.

I previously owned a 2009 Mustang GT with solid rear axle and I cannot believe the difference. I loved the 2009 but I had to trade it in just a few months after buying it because we adopted our sons and the car seat would not fit in the back. Now that they are 17 and 23 that is not an issue.

Am I crazy or does this new model seem like a German precision sports car compared to the older models? I might be exaggerating the difference in my head since it has been 12 years between cars, but I am just floored by how it handles the winding river roads I live out (Live in PNW). Even in the rain it stays well planted. The magneride suspension really kept it level too.

I know some people complain that it is now too much of a sports car and not enough of a muscle car (and I was a bit worried about that when I bought it) but the way it tears up the straights and still pulls hard through corners as well makes me feel like it is the best of both worlds. I am starting to think I made the right decision getting the Mustang over the Scat Pack Widebody.

Anyone else in here come over to the Mustang from MOPAR? Regret your decision?

C381A95F-A0E6-4EAF-8ECB-630EC68B6D0A.jpg
The Yankee Marshall? You’re not THE “Yankee Marshal”, are you? Are you ”a grown ass man!”

Last edited:

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Welcome and congratulations. I was between a 392 Charger and the Mustang GT Premium but after the Ford dealer let me test drive a Magnaride GT and a Non Magnaride GT for a day each. I was sold with the Magnaride GT. The 392 Charger felt heavy and wasn't impressed with the handling.

mtr5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT Shadow Black 401a A10 3.15 gear
i traded my 2017 challenger 392 scat pack w/ A8 last year for a 2020 Mustang GT w/10 speed .. loved the scat pack but was ready for something different.. honestly i feel the mustang is just more enjoyable to drive.. both are amazing cars thou..

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
I had considered a Charger before I ended up with my Mustang. Insurance is ultimately what convinced me to not do the Charger lol
Sponsored