Sponsored

Coilovers Available for the S550 (LIST) - Seeking inputs and opinions

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Forgive my ignorance, but do any of these companies compete in autocross events?

For example, I'm more familiar with 1st generation Mustangs and 2 companies have no comparison when it comes to aftermarket coilover setups:
http://www.maierracing.com/
http://www.streetortrack.com/

But these actually do the testing on the geometry and have the numbers to prove it. Mike Maier readily competes for top spot at SCCA events and similar.

Can the same be said for the S550 vendors who offer aftermarket coilover kits?
The price usually gives a good indication of quality and development time.
JRZ, MCS and KW have amoung the best overall racing background/history.
BC "Racing" and Stance, not so much.

Another key for competionion use is do they convert the rear to a true coilover or keep the seperate shock & spring. As the SCCA rules don' t allow the latter for the lower/stocker classes (STP, STU, ESP).
Sponsored

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
Forgive my ignorance, but do any of these companies compete in autocross events?

For example, I'm more familiar with 1st generation Mustangs and 2 companies have no comparison when it comes to aftermarket coilover setups:

But these actually do the testing on the geometry and have the numbers to prove it. Mike Maier readily competes for top spot at SCCA events and similar.

Go peruse the Ridetech website, lots of competition vehicles.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Time is key here. The S550 is only a couple of years old so it doesn't have the same amount of refinement. The guys that can tell the difference between Konis and Penskes are still very much figuring it out.

Right now, I'd be most interested in knowing what Multimatic is using. From their website:

Adjustable coilover MacPherson struts with race-specific bushings, ball joints and Multimatic DSSV® adjustable cartridge-type dampers
Ford Mustang rear multi-link IRS (independent rear suspension) with race-specific bushings, ball joints and Multimatic DSSV® adjustable dampers
Blade-adjustable front and rear anti-roll bars

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB

Another key for competionion use is do they convert the rear to a true coilover or keep the seperate shock & spring. As the SCCA rules don' t allow the latter for the lower/stocker classes (STP, STU, ESP).
So out of those 3 which uses a true coilover?

JmalB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge NSRT-4, 2015 Mustang GT PP

I think it's the former that's not allowed. Set ups, like ISC and MCS, that have separate rear shock and springs are legal, while true coilovers in the rear, like aFe, are not.

Sponsored

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB
JRZs can be built either way. Most high end companies can accommodate both since they use a threaded shock body
A true coilover is superior I assume?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I think it's the former that's not allowed. Set ups, like ISC and MCS, that have separate rear shock and springs are legal, while true coilovers in the rear, like aFe, are not.
Right. I got my former and latter mixed up.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Anyone have a guess as to how a set of the cheapest coil overs would handle on a non pp car, comparing it to a pp equipped car

Sponsored

kkakonn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
A true coilover is superior I assume?
That a tough question. the only thing it changes is spring rate and damping control requirements mainly due to angle change of mounting. Additionally, running conventional typically requires more rate while true coil over you can get away with less spring rate.The more of an angle the spring is mounted, the less effective spring rate it has and typically coilover setups have a more upright mounting position

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
"Real" coilovers have a packaging avantage, are probably slightly lighter, and easier to adjust.

But potentially illegal depending on class, and the current S550 shock mounts are not designed to take the spring loads. So you have to worry about if the aftermarket coilover maker did their homework in providing reinforced mounting points. I would especially worry about that with the cheap (under $1500) ones.

Plus the stock spring mounting point doesn't have a good motion ratio like Kkakonn says, but that can be mostly compensated for with adjusting the spring rate.

Simmons-Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am going to sell my jrz rs pro coil overs if anyone is interested.

Simmons

bestbacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB 2015 Mustang DIB
Just got a set of these badboys in from Feal Suspension. Looks like the top mount for the rears will have to be reused but I'm excited to put them on asap!

2uqoscn.jpg

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Or it uses the same sperate shock and spring setup as the stock rear?

Good to see Feal jumping into the Mustang market, they had a pretty good reputation in the Subaru world.
Sponsored