Sponsored

Cobb/MAP Tune Safe?

boygenius33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Ecoboost 6M
Hey Everyone, I recently Traded in my 2015 Civic SI for a 2017 Grabber Blue Ecoboost 6 Speed Manual and i am looking to start modding. I have been reading endlessly on different tunes but with so many options its hard to choose. I have narrowed it down to either Fords Tune Or the Cobb with MAP's tune. Obviously Cobb would void my warranty, but my question is Is the MAP tune Safe? I have read horror storries about grenaded low mileage motors but the ones ive seen blow were all 2015's. My plans were to get the MAP tune, the MAP Intake and a catch can to start off. Looking for some input from some people who have "been there done that" :cheers:
Sponsored

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
if you are using Cobb, get tune by [MENTION=19118]Tune+[/MENTION]. You are worry about grenading your engine, then stick with Ford Pro tune to retain your warranty until you run out.

Wulf Titan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM A/T
Congrats on the trade! Most of the EcoBooms to my knowledge have been from the earlier 2015 builds. If you go the Cobb route go with Tune+ as mentioned above. Just remember, life is too short for warranties.

OP
OP

boygenius33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=23922]Wulf Titan[/MENTION] , yeah i usually subscribe to that theory lol. I also planned on going the tune+ route once i did the downpipe, intercooler but my plan is to run the map tune with the intake for a while which is why i was curious if that is a viable safe option. This is my first boosted american just alittle nervous after seeing those failures.

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
If I remember correctly there are people on here with high mileage 2015's that are tuned and are running just fine. Cobb does safe tunes and if you get tuned by Adam from Tune+ you should be fine. He is very knowledgeable and if I'm not mistaken he use to do the tuning for MAP until he started his own tuning company (Tune+).
If you are worried about warranty go with the Ford Performance tune like JungleG1337 mentioned. If you do tune I would upgrade the spark plugs to ones that are a step colder (Adam has pre gapped ones on his website), upgrade the intercooler and def get a catch can. I went with the dual valve one (Which once again you can get through his website) lol
If you don't tune right away or can't afford to do to much I would go Catch can then Spark Plug then intercooler then tune.
Even on the stock tune it can benefit from the first 3.

Sponsored

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
[MENTION=23922]Wulf Titan[/MENTION] , yeah i usually subscribe to that theory lol. I also planned on going the tune+ route once i did the downpipe, intercooler but my plan is to run the map tune with the intake for a while which is why i was curious if that is a viable safe option. This is my first boosted american just alittle nervous after seeing those failures.
Go with a tune and intercooler forget the intake the factory one is better

OP
OP

boygenius33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm slowly erasing the ford tune from possibility list lol

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Basically go with the ford performance tune if u dont plan on doing any other mods than catback, intercooler, intake, or other basic bolt ons, and care about warranty (as FP provides one until ur car hits 3 yr/36K miles, separate from factory warranty), as the FP tune is a can tune, meaning its not meant to use with mods outside of basic bolt ons (i.e. ones that dont require tuning). If you either dont care about warranty or plan to do other mods such as downpipe, e30, big turbo, etc, then get the Accessport and go with Tune+.

Both tunes are safe. Obviously FP has done more in house testing, so it is safe to say u wont go boom, barring any factory defects. Tune+ has a huge fanbase on here and all the reviews say he is great and has plenty of positive reviews throughout the forum. And of course he can squeeze more power out.

I went with FP just because its CARB legal (I hate california), and it came with a warranty (I got it at 15K miles). Its perfectly fine for daily driving, way faster than stock. But no doubt Tune+ can get more power out and if the FP tune didnt exist (we thought it would never come out lol), I would go with Tune+.

Of course u can always go from the FP tune and when the warranty is up, switch to a pro-tune, but thats basically a waste of money. Happy Modding!
Sponsored