The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I know some of you Ecoboost owners may have looked at downpipes as one of the big power gains for the EBM, however i've just got a cobb, expecting a light steering column rub, however it's far from that, extensive modifications needed of the pipe. So just watch out for that.

Attached below are pictures of the issues.

As it was modded to fit the following was done:

Topside of downpipe was extended (pre-cat)
Bottom side (post cat) had a new bend inserted and also avoided the bolt it rubbed against near the flex pipe which was providing additional vibration.

I'd personally advise until Cobb build a RHD downpipe (They're more than welcome to use my cars downpipe as a "basis" for this) to not use their downpipe unless you have stainless steel welders and exhaust guys nearby that can customise it to fit like mine.

Downpipe before, cat rubbing against the steering column

Cat and flex pipe after modding to fit:

Welded new bend

Moved the hangar over majorly, welded to the mount point, as i didn't want to fuck the oem fitment too much lol.

Cat and steering column, a lot of space now (the cat sits above and about 13mm to the LEFT OF THE STEERING COL NOW)
Sponsored

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
Thanks for the extensive update. I'm about to hit the local Cobb dealer with my wish list & the downpipe was a long shot option, based on the Cobb website; your experience rules it out for me.

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
@DRU842 Yeah I would unless you have a custom fab place that can make it fit that's local too... Otherwise, it's a no go for me, even though it sounds heavenly. If @COBB Tuning do want to have the measurements etc for this downpipe and they can use it to make one to fit RHD cars, I'm happy to send them everything they need.
CC: @COBB Tuning

@radar i'll get one at some point, at the minute logging for @Tune+ Sound wise I can tell you this:
Cruising - Same as before, no change
Down shifting - Huge amounts of noise in the cabin (gonna try remove the mic to see if that helps), it's just louder than what I have before (that's like 70-80mph downshifting to 3rd)
Up shifting - 2nd/3rd I get a crackle in the exhaust
Idle - Loud, not loud enough to pierce ears in the cabin, but it's a meaty loudness
Accelerating, lean mean, bassy and pretty god damn awesome
Blipping - Nice bit of meaty bassy noise to it, kicks up a good amount of noise.

Reviews I had from other members at a meet his week were:
* @sheps5.0 - It was louder than I expected which was good. Obviously it was gonna pop and bang but it had a lovely tone to it. I liked it
* Reuben (Guy on FB but not here) - Tone was spot on. And liked the loudness, didn't like the pops and bangs, )but that's always been present on the EBM and especially with the MF Comp catback. - it's not like ricer pops and bangs, more meaty, bassy pops and burbles)
* @Kristian87 - "Pretty epic mate, really want to experience a proper drive in it, certainly a long way from the ecoboost I remember" (He used to have an EBM)
* A few guys there - (in no order) but a few comments like, no way is that an ecoboost, that's not a 4 cylinder, it's a 4 cylinder?!, Go on pop the hood I don't believe you - etc etc. So really, a lot of good comments

So that's about it... btw lads, you'll have to tag me in responses, I hardly check other sides of the forum very often

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
it's not like ricer pops and bangs, more meaty, bassy pops and burbles)
This ^^

My worry with going down the sound modding route with the EB was the dreaded "fart box" sound that you get with some aftermarket products. Not the case with Manders' set up, it's a real dirty, bassy, agressive sound.

I would wan't to experience some drive bys and a ride in it but it was a nice sound, as I said - so far from the stock sound.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
This ^^

My worry with going down the sound modding route with the EB was the dreaded "fart box" sound that you get with some aftermarket products. Not the case with Manders' set up, it's a real dirty, bassy, agressive sound.

I would wan't to experience some drive bys and a ride in it but it was a nice sound, as I said - so far from the stock sound.
The amount of work that's gone into finding out good setups is ridiculous lol. I'm actually stupid happy with how it's turned out. Not sure if the extra kink has added to sound in some ways, but whatever it is, I love it now more than before :headbang:!

Need to find a DB tester to test it for me haha

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost