Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Apparently, they have no qualms about allowing others to do exactly that.
Who is 'us'? Unless you happen to own a Boeing, we're both in the same boat.
Nobody will 'outlaw' your Mustang but everybody has to contribute to the world we live in. Using the 'plane / boat uses more fuel than me therefore why should I bother' completely defeats the object. Globally changes are needed (and will happen) but you will still be able to use your Mustang, it will just cost you more.

If you don't want that to happen vote against it. If you lose, then unfortunately that is how democracy works. You can't just choose the bits of democracy you like and ignore the bits you don't. Not sure about Romania, (but it can only be more democratic than when I was there in the 1980's) but both sides of the political spectrum in the UK agree on action on pollution - just to different degrees.

As @Burkey said it is all irrelevant in the long run as fossil fuels are finite (rather more so if others follow Norway's route). Funny to think people objected to cars when they were first invented, objected to the phasing out of leaded fuel, objected to ABS systems, objected to seat belts.
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Democracy in Romania is very simple. We get to choose between cancer and AIDS. We always vote for whatever evil seems to be smallest at the time. Changing something by voting is just an illusion. But that's a different story.
Fortunately, Romanians love their cars, and our children still grow up with posters of glamorous cars on their walls, dreaming of a time when they will be old enough to have a driving licence, rather than being taught from a very early age about how the car is the most evil human invention of all times, and how those despicable, selfish motorists kill polar bears, like it happens in some Western countries.
So we're safe for the foreseeable future. But being safe won't mean much if new cars won't be manufactured anymore due to the madness spreading throughout the rest of Europe. We're a small country; we mean nothing to Ford & Co.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Democracy in Romania is very simple. We get to choose between cancer and AIDS. We always vote for whatever evil seems to be smallest at the time. Changing something by voting is just an illusion. But that's a different story.
Fortunately, Romanians love their cars, and our children still grow up with posters of glamorous cars on their walls, dreaming of a time when they will be old enough to have a driving licence, rather than being taught from a very early age about how the car is the most evil human invention of all times, and how those despicable, selfish motorists kill polar bears, like it happens in some Western countries.
So we're safe for the foreseeable future. But being safe won't mean much if new cars won't be manufactured anymore due to the maddness spreading throughout the rest of Europe. We're a small country; we mean nothing to Ford & Co.
They didn't love them in the 80's when the only thing on offer was a Dacia (one model and one trim level)

1607258265705.png

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Oh yes, they did. And how! Having a Dacia was our ultimate dream, and those who were fortunate enough to have one used to care for it as if it had been their own baby. :)
It's not necessarily that we loved that particular car, which of course was a piece of junk, it's that we loved the idea of a personal car, the idea of personal freedom, in a country where few other kinds of freedom - if any - were allowed.

Last edited:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently, they have no qualms about allowing others to do exactly that.
Who is 'us'? Unless you happen to own a Boeing, and you want my Mustang to be outlawed just so there's more fuel left for you, we're both in the same boat.
I don't see why airlines should be allowed to burn millions of gallons of fuel every hour, while I get blamed for global warming and for the Earth running out of fuel. Actually, I see why. It's much easier to pick on the little guy.
Maybe it has something to do with air travel typically being far more fuel efficient than the equivalent of transporting the same number of people by car? That and the fact that planes are much better at crossing water than cars.
Ever jumped in a plane and just ā€gone for a driveā€ for the hell of it?
Do you use a plane daily?

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/debate-settled-flying-way-efficient-driving/

Sponsored

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
i guess the other point is that itā€™s relatively easy to make a car run on electricity, but a lot harder for a plane.

back to that quote that thereā€™s no hard shoulder at 10000 feet - that would give you range anxiety šŸ˜ƒ

Personally i donā€™t lose sleep over my carbon footprint as my Stang only does a few thousand miles a year. Compare that to a Range Rover owner doing 20k miles a year and thatā€™s where you see more impact.

lifestyle is another factor. The fuel consumption and emissions of an ageing container ship bringing all our tat from China is horrific.

likewise it always amazes me how much of the food in my supermarket is flown in from all the corners of the world.

As previously stated in this thread we can all do our bit and still own a Stang!

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
most large fleet haulage ships run on LNG these days

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
i guess the other point is that itā€™s relatively easy to make a car run on electricity, but a lot harder for a plane.

back to that quote that thereā€™s no hard shoulder at 10000 feet - that would give you range anxiety šŸ˜ƒ

Personally i donā€™t lose sleep over my carbon footprint as my Stang only does a few thousand miles a year. Compare that to a Range Rover owner doing 20k miles a year and thatā€™s where you see more impact.

lifestyle is another factor. The fuel consumption and emissions of an ageing container ship bringing all our tat from China is horrific.

likewise it always amazes me how much of the food in my supermarket is flown in from all the corners of the world.

As previously stated in this thread we can all do our bit and still own a Stang!
Electric planes do exist (small light aircraft) and Airbus are developing electric propulsion but battery weight is the big problem.

Under normal circumstances a lot of food is brought in by air in the cargo hold of commercial flights already flying so utilising 'spare space'

NicksGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost
I've been following this map for over ten years. It never changes. waqi/info.com
Up until a few years ago Australia was providing 38% of all imported coal to China. If the world would force China, India and eastern Europe to lower emissions, emission controlled ICE would be around for a long time.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
More or less heavy taxation on big engine cars is the norm throughout most of Europe. The UK and Germany are the exceptions. France is now joining the Northern countries like Norway, Danmark and the Netherlands. In the Netherlands the registration tax on a new GT has hovered between 50 and 60.000 euro in the past 10 years. With the transition to WLTP measuring it was recently lowered to 'just' 45.000. Even a small country like Belgium charges 11.000 euro. In Spain it is around 5.000 euro.

This whole Co2 based taxation is why there will be a hybrid V8 with S650. Hybrids give manufacturers a sneaky way out of the insane Cafe standards with their fake low emission values.
Sponsored