Clutch Vibration at Biting Point after Hard Acceleration

samuelesm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP, 08 Hyundai Azera, 00 Honda S2000
Hi, I have a 2016 Mustang GT PP (manual) with only 21k on it. Factory powertrain warranty expires in a few days.

I've been having this problem where, whenever I do a hard acceleration, especially whenever I slip the clutch on a hard pull, I suddenly start feeling a quite noticeable vibration whenever I'm near the biting point. I'm wondering if it's potentially something like a throwout bearing or whether my upshifting technique may be the problem. I'd say that I heel-toe downshift pretty well and I have no problem driving regularly.

I don't quite remember having this problem when I got the car at around 18-19k miles. It's only whenever I do a pull, and it seems to happen no matter if I let go of the clutch fast or slow. It does seem to go away after letting the car cool. I don't want to drive around having to worry about this.

Should I have a dealership check it out before my warranty expires? What could the problem be?
Sorry if this has been asked or covered before, and Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have the Service Center check it out before your warranty expires. If it’s found to be clutch related, be aware that the clutch (disc, pressure plate, flywheel, pilot bearing and throwout bearing) falls under wear items and may not be covered as far as cost.

OP
OP

samuelesm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Have the Service Center check it out before your warranty expires. If it’s found to be clutch related, be aware that the clutch (disc, pressure plate, flywheel, pilot bearing and throwout bearing) falls under wear items and may not be covered as far as cost.
Thanks! I think I will do that!

OP
OP

samuelesm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
After describing my problem, a friend of mine thinks it may be the clutch fork. I guess won't know for sure until it's examined.

Sponsored

OP
OP

samuelesm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like clutch chatter. Given that it happens after slipping the clutch on a hard launch it's probably hot spots on the clutch plate.
Thanks, that makes sense. I had a friend drive it, and he thinks it's alright. I try shifting with minimal but smooth clutch release now. I still feel it, but definitely less than when I clutched out slower. Though after observing it further, I think it does continue after cooling down. My guess is the clutch may warp a little bit and then level out after normal driving.

My friend thinks that it's the tuning of the car ECU that affects the rev drops that affects my driving. Took it to the dealership, and they just drove it around the parking lot lol, so not helpful. I guess I'll go with it for now and then go aftermarket someday.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Are you not waiting for the rev hang to drop before releasing the clutch? I did find rev hang to be the worst thing about this car. I got the Ford performance tune and it practically got rid of the hanging. Much smoother for me now.

OP
OP

samuelesm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Are you not waiting for the rev hang to drop before releasing the clutch? I did find rev hang to be the worst thing about this car. I got the Ford performance tune and it practically got rid of the hanging. Much smoother for me now.
Yeah, I think it's the rev hang as well.

I had a friend drive it, and he was showing me how the revs drop depending on the clutch pedal position. He just said it's the way it's tuned and said it wasn't rev hang, but I think it is basically rev hang.

I just got an 18 intake manifold, so I'll try to tune it out when I get a tune to match.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Yeah, I think it's the rev hang as well.

I had a friend drive it, and he was showing me how the revs drop depending on the clutch pedal position. He just said it's the way it's tuned and said it wasn't rev hang, but I think it is basically rev hang.

I just got an 18 intake manifold, so I'll try to tune it out when I get a tune to match.
It's rev hang but your friend is also right that it's the way it's tuned. Everything I read said they tune it like this for emissions reasons, burns off more bad stuff this way.

Definitely tune it out. It makes a huge difference (but is still there/something you have to be aware of and work with).

OP
OP

samuelesm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
It's rev hang but your friend is also right that it's the way it's tuned. Everything I read said they tune it like this for emissions reasons, burns off more bad stuff this way.

Definitely tune it out. It makes a huge difference (but is still there/something you have to be aware of and work with).
Yeah, this is my first manual car, so I wasn't sure if it was me or the car, and it was hard for me to notice since it's not as blatantly bad as something like the Subaru WRX. Being a modern car, it makes sense for it to have some rev hang. Thanks for the feedback!

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
FWIW this is my first manual too. I didn't know a thing like rev hang existed before I had to deal with it, I just thought you put the stick in the gear and clutched out lol.

OP
OP

samuelesm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
FWIW this is my first manual too. I didn't know a thing like rev hang existed before I had to deal with it, I just thought you put the stick in the gear and clutched out lol.
Yeah. It's a learning experience to say the least haha. The car seems to also add a bit of throttle for you when starting off from a standstill.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
The way your post read, it sounded like this was vibration happening when you were starting from a stop. You mentioned feeling the biting point which I would not say I can feel once shifting on the move, that's usually discussed in the context of first gear when starting from a stop. Rev hang wouldn't be a factor in that case.

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
I had this on my old Subaru after some spirited driving. Warped the clutch plate which caused a judder on take off.
Sponsored