Clutch Tamer for MT82 transmissions

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Does anyone have any personal experience using a Clutch Tamer to help preserve drivetrain components and lower 60’ times?

http://clutchtamer.com/
Sponsored

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Well, I guess I’ll be the guinea pig on this one. I just ordered the 2 stage version. I can already see that it’s going to be a PITA to install, but hopefully the end result will be more control over the clutch and less shock on the drivetrain. Those two things will be worth every bit of the agony that I will have to endure to get it installed.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Well, I guess I’ll be the guinea pig on this one. I just ordered the 2 stage version. I can already see that it’s going to be a PITA to install, but hopefully the end result will be more control over the clutch and less shock on the drivetrain. Those two things will be worth every bit of the agony that I will have to endure to get it installed.
I bet I'm not the only one who will appreciate anything that you have to share with your experiences regarding the clutch tamer. It seems like an interesting concept and a valuable one for those of us who see the MT82 as a bit of a liability.

I realize you have already ordered this product but I'll just add that In another thread, it was recommended to me that I consider bias ply drag tires on the basis that they can serve a similar function; reducing shock on the driveline during a hard launch. So that might be another protective measure to consider...easier to install but also probably not as effective. Perhaps a combination of these two would make for a much more durable system?

In any case, I bet that these things will require an adjustment to our launch technique...maybe even starting the launch one yellow earlier to compensate for the slower loading of the driveline.

Please keep us posted and thanks in advance for any insights that you care to share!

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I bet I'm not the only one who will appreciate anything that you have to share with your experiences regarding the clutch tamer. It seems like an interesting concept and a valuable one for those of us who see the MT82 as a bit of a liability.

I realize you have already ordered this product but I'll just add that In another thread, it was recommended to me that I consider bias ply drag tires on the basis that they can serve a similar function; reducing shock on the driveline during a hard launch. So that might be another protective measure to consider...easier to install but also probably not as effective. Perhaps a combination of these two would make for a much more durable system?

In any case, I bet that these things will require an adjustment to our launch technique...maybe even starting the launch one yellow earlier to compensate for the slower loading of the driveline.

Please keep us posted and thanks in advance for any insights that you care to share!
It’ll be a bit down the road before I can get this installed because I am currently without my garage and tools, but I will definitely provide detailed updates as they become available. I‘ve also been conversing with the guy who builds the CT and he actually suggested that I run a radial tire with it instead of a bias ply tire.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I run thier manual version on my fox. Very please with it and honestly cant make a good hit without it.
Cool! It definitely sounds like it’ll be a huge benefit. I’m really looking forward to getting it installed. What kind of short times were you getting with/without the CT?

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Cool! It definitely sounds like it’ll be a huge benefit. I’m really looking forward to getting it installed. What kind of short times were you getting with/without the CT?
60ft is in the 1.31 range, but running without the tamer is not far off. Where the tamer shines is WOT shifting.

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
60ft is in the 1.31 range, but running without the tamer is not far off. Where the tamer shines is WOT shifting.
Very Impressive! What launch rpm are you using and how much power is your car making? Aftermarket clutch I presume?

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The parts arrived today! Unfortunately, all I can do for now is formulate an install plan and see where the components will fit best in the engine bay and cockpit.

6DEE79CA-FE68-47F3-A388-C9F6BD524992.jpeg

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
A couple of mounting locations for the control valve.

Option #1

EE6CF5CE-F3CD-4021-95A5-3469D3C22CD6.jpeg

Option #2

1F6A0E1D-627E-45CF-BBA9-F307F23BD6ED.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think I like option #2 better than option #1. I’ll probably have to modify the plastic on the left corner of the seat to provide the necessary clearance for the gauge and bleeder fitting, if/when I need to move the seat forward and backward.

Last edited:

Zeb8806

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zeb
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium PP
Nice! Curious about these as well, definitely awaiting your feedback! Good luck

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
I think I like option #2 better than option #1. I’ll probably have to modify the plastic on the left corner of the seat to provide the necessary clearance for the gauge and bleeder fitting, if/when I need to move the seat forward and backward.
How feasible would it be to put it in the sunglass cubby to the left of the steering wheel?I'm planning on running this system on my coyote swap 94 and have been brainstorming some locations that aren't going to be an eye-sore

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
How feasible would it be to put it in the sunglass cubby to the left of the steering wheel?I'm planning on running this system on my coyote swap 94 and have been brainstorming some locations that aren't going to be an eye-sore
I’ve seen a photo of one (non hydraulic version), in the sunglass cubby on an S550, but unfortunately, that space is already being used on mine. According to the manufacturer, it’s best to place it where it can be accessed pretty easily to make adjustments.