scorch088

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Hey All,

I bought my GT350 at 9000 miles and it is my daily driver, I have put another ~3,000 on it in the last few months. The clutch is shot and I have to get it and all associate parts replaced, bearing, slave, flywheel, etc.

This is $3420 at my local Ford dealer - used them for about 4 years and they are good. Blows my mind that this could happen so early... the only thing I can think of is that the guy I bought it from before had bought it for his *16 year old* and maybe the kid had no idea how to drive manual.

Is there anything anyone knows of that could help on the cost? Not covered under warranty is my understanding...
Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Do the repair yourself or take it to an indy repair shop. Dealer service is pretty high.

Rilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019 PP1
I would take it to the dealership 1st, could be a defect from Flat Rock.

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Sounds like the dealer has no idea of what the issue is and there throwing you’ll need everything under the sun to solve the issue. Sure that’s a quick solution but it’s costly, I’d recommend you take it to a place that will physically show you what’s wrong and then go from there. Slow route but better on the wallet.

Share more info with us... what does the car do that tells you the clutch is shot. Does the clutch pedal go all the way down to the floor? Great example, that's a blown slave and the clutch could very well be fine except for the slave.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scorch088

scorch088

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Sounds like the dealer has no idea of what the issue is and there throwing you’ll need everything under the sun to solve the issue. Sure that’s a quick solution but it’s costly, I’d recommend you take it to a place that will physically show you what’s wrong and then go from there. Slow route but better on the wallet.

Share more info with us... what does the car do that tells you the clutch is shot. Does the clutch pedal go all the way down to the floor? Great example, that's a blown slave and the clutch could very well be fine except for the slave.
The clutch won't engage right, feels super delayed and when it does engage it feels like there is tension. Also get a putrid burnt smell and light white smoke coming out of hood near windshield, but barely visible.

Nothing that specifically made me think it was wearing out... it was pretty acute, the issue I brought it in for and I was surprised it was just the clutch. I was just shifting from 3rd to 4th when the clutch basically wouldn't engage fully and even though I wasn't pressing accelerator a ton, sounded like the petal was floored... after that, I could tell something was off and so I drove back to the house really easy and ultimately had it towed to dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scorch088

scorch088

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
I would take it to the dealership 1st, could be a defect from Flat Rock.
Is there any recourse if it was a defect? 2017 so out of warranty.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The clutch won't engage right, feels super delayed and when it does engage it feels like there is tension. Also get a putrid burnt smell and light white smoke coming out of hood near windshield, but barely visible.

Nothing that specifically made me think it was wearing out... it was pretty acute, the issue I brought it in for and I was surprised it was just the clutch. I was just shifting from 3rd to 4th when the clutch basically wouldn't engage fully and even though I wasn't pressing accelerator a ton, sounded like the petal was floored... after that, I could tell something was off and so I drove back to the house really easy and ultimately had it towed to dealer.
Can you elaborate? Clutch wouldnt engage or you couldnt get it in gear? did you lift off the clutch but it was slipping?

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Not in a million years would I buy a performance car that was for a 16 year old. Prepare your pucker hole for more problems.

OP
OP
scorch088

scorch088

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Not in a million years would I buy a performance car that was for a 16 year old. Prepare your pucker hole for more problems.
Supposedly most of the miles put on by the
Can you elaborate? Clutch wouldnt engage or you couldnt get it in gear? did you lift off the clutch but it was slipping?
It is hard to describe as I haven't ever felt this before on a car, but it felt like it was hard to get into gear, and even when it was in gear, it didn't feel like it was fully engaged, acceleration was not matching the gas pedal.

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
The cost of a brand new Tremec 3160 transmission is basically that price. Like others have said get a third party transmission shop to look at it I can't imagine repairs totaling up to that

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Wonder how many times he used launch control, and line lock at high rpm's? What did the tires look like? Original tires on car?

OP
OP
scorch088

scorch088

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Wonder how many times he used launch control, and line lock at high rpm's? What did the tires look like? Original tires on car?
Original tires and they looked good, still do. Very little to any roadrash. I have only launched control twice - very controlled and never line locked.
Sponsored