Sponsored

Clutch disc came apart with 7300 miles

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Another car with a clutch disc that came apart with only 7300 miles on it. Went to the track 1 time and made 2 passes. Very experienced driver and it came apart on a normal drive with the family in the car (not racing or abusive). No sign of hot spots or blue on the pressure plate or flywheel. The flywheel side of the disc material came completely off. At least it was a good excuse to upgrade! I did not want the dealer putting another stock one it so I did not bother with warranty. (Plus I have my own shop to do it in) I installed an Exedy Mach 500 clutch, Exedy chromoly Flywheel, and a Steeda stainless steel clutch line. Install was strait forward except having to press in the dow pins on the flywheel. This was a royal pita with what I had to work with. I would much prefer to use a machine shop to get them in with no drama if I had to do it again. Then had to do the crank relearn afterwards because the trigger wheel for the crank sensor is behind the flywheel. When you remove the flywheel the trigger wheel will shift just enough that the relearn is necessary. The X4 made this easy but make sure the car is fully warmed up before you attempt the relearn. It took me a couple failed attempts before realizing that it will not attempt the relearn without being at warm idle when you hit go. So far I have about 50 miles on the clutch and it is slightly stiff with the Steeda clutch spring in place. I put the stock spring back in and it now feels like the stock clutch did with the Steeda spring in. The clutch engages nice and smooth and stock like. Obviously I haven't really launched the car or hammered it much while still breaking it in. Also make sure you have a vacuum pump handy to get the air out of the master cylinder for the clutch hydraulics since there is no bleeder. It wasn't that hard and there is a good you tube video on how to do it. Feel free to ask me any questions!:cheers:
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have a feeling mine is going to go soon. Couple clutch chatter issues taking off and now audible rattling in neutral with clutch out. Goes away when pedal is pushed in. I'm going RST route for a dd.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
[MENTION=17221]Lonmon[/MENTION] mind sharing how much did it cost to replace all those? [MENTION=23486]Kong76[/MENTION] what is this clutch chatter noise? Mine sounds like the springs of an old mattress compressing/decompressing when taking off (once in a while). Would that be clutch chatter?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Clutch chatter is felt in the pedal during initial engagement usually on takeoff. Its a pulsing of the pedal more pronounced than a vib. Like its catching,releasing several times in about three seconds.

OP
OP

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
[MENTION=17221]Lonmon[/MENTION] mind sharing how much did it cost to replace all those? [MENTION=23486]Kong76[/MENTION] what is this clutch chatter noise? Mine sounds like the springs of an old mattress compressing/decompressing when taking off (once in a while). Would that be clutch chatter?
I spent just under 1k on all the parts from american muscle. You may be able to do a little better if you have a discount code or shop around for super deals. Any chatter or rattle noises with clutch actuation indicate time to pull out the tranny for investigation. I would certainly have the parts on hand though as it is not very likely to be anything but some part of the clutch assembly failing. So far I now have about 200 miles on the Exedy single with the stock clutch spring in it and it is working flawlessly, feels like stock and very little extra pedal pressure with the stock spring on the pedal.
Sponsored