Clutch/brake pedal assembly removal

alexm050

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does anybody have the excerpt for the 2016 Mustang? I’m just getting around to pulling this out this weekend. I drive the car daily and the clicking noise is driving me insane, since its every time you push the pedal in. It also has a rough feeling during higher rpms that you can feel in the pedal. My warranty is up, so I’ll probably get it wielded and then I’ll install it back in. I wish there was a video on the removal of the assembly.
Sponsored

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
Can anyone provide me with the part number? I've been looking for a couple days now with no luck. Thanks in advance.

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
Part Number is JR3Z-2455-A. Just in case anyone else is looking for it.

Cftello96

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cesar
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Alright boys, trying to remove this entire assembly is proving to be a difficult job. Right now I need to remove the clutch master cylinder plunger rod from the clutch pedal, but there is a clip preventing me from popping off the connector from the clutch pedal linkage. Since I have limited space and am broad shouldered, I cannot get a good look at the clip to understand how to remove it. Does anyone possibly have removed this before and could show me a picture of it?
Hey man I am trying to remove that pin right now. Where exactly is it? I can’t seem to find it. That’s the last thing I need to do before I can take everything off. Can you text me or call? My number is +17472527798

Sponsored

Cftello96

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cesar
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt

Joshad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt 03 gt
I can't for the life of me get the assembly out. I got it off the studs everything is disconnected . Is there a certain way you have to turn it or something

Joshad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt 03 gt
Hi guys,

So yesterday my clutch pedal broke. The weld that holds the bar linkage of the pedal to the pivot tube up top broke so my clutch pedal is very wobbly and I have issues starting the car now because the neutral switch is not being engaged properly.

If anyone that has a service manual could provide me with the excerpt to remove the assembly I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!
How did you get the assembly out.

peerware

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I was watching this post because my 2016 GT had the same issue.
I couldn't figure out how to remove the pedal assembly because I could not get it over the brake booster push rod.

After 2 hours of trying I managed to get it out and it is just a matter of enough clearance.

Lets start on how I did it:
Remove the interior trim where the little push box and the trunk button is in (I'm not native English, can't find the exact word).
remove all 3 switches (1/8 turn counterclockwise) and remove all cables out off the way.
Remove the clip on the pedal to clutch cylinder rod
Remove the blue plug that connects the brake booster rod to the brake pedal
Remove the 2 Allen bolts (5mm) of the clutch cylinder. (they are facing towards the left of the car)
To give the plunger some wiggle room I disconnected the top brake hose of the clutch cylinder to the brake fluid reservoir and plugged the reservoir
Loosen 4 bolts and 4 nuts 13mm from the pedal assembly.

And here it got tough, you need to be with 2 persons.
under the hood move the brake booster as far back as you can. (The reservoir needs to touch the chassis reinforcement bar)
In the car itself the studs of the brake booster should almost be out of the interior
Now lift the clutch plunger over the edge of the assembly while turning the assembly a bit clockwise
pull the assembly towards yourself and down. With a Flathead screwdriver I used as wedge I pushed back the brake booster push rod and pulled the assembly over it.

And it was out.

OrangeCrush5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I can't for the life of me get the assembly out. I got it off the studs everything is disconnected . Is there a certain way you have to turn it or something
I didn’t remove any trim. Go under your hood and use a bungee chord to pull and hold the booster away from the firewall. Or if you have a second person they can help pull it.

Sponsored

OrangeCrush5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I was watching this post because my 2016 GT had the same issue.
I couldn't figure out how to remove the pedal assembly because I could not get it over the brake booster push rod.

After 2 hours of trying I managed to get it out and it is just a matter of enough clearance.

Lets start on how I did it:
Remove the interior trim where the little push box and the trunk button is in (I'm not native English, can't find the exact word).
remove all 3 switches (1/8 turn counterclockwise) and remove all cables out off the way.
Remove the clip on the pedal to clutch cylinder rod
Remove the blue plug that connects the brake booster rod to the brake pedal
Remove the 2 Allen bolts (5mm) of the clutch cylinder. (they are facing towards the left of the car)
To give the plunger some wiggle room I disconnected the top brake hose of the clutch cylinder to the brake fluid reservoir and plugged the reservoir
Loosen 4 bolts and 4 nuts 13mm from the pedal assembly.

And here it got tough, you need to be with 2 persons.
under the hood move the brake booster as far back as you can. (The reservoir needs to touch the chassis reinforcement bar)
In the car itself the studs of the brake booster should almost be out of the interior
Now lift the clutch plunger over the edge of the assembly while turning the assembly a bit clockwise
pull the assembly towards yourself and down. With a Flathead screwdriver I used as wedge I pushed back the brake booster push rod and pulled the assembly over it.

And it was out.
I know every car is a little different but I didn’t need to remove any of the trim or remove any hoses. I pulled the booster as far forward as I could then I used a bungee chord to hold it in place. It came right out after that.

peerware

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it is really needed to remove it, but it will give you more access to remove the bolts and get grip on the assembly. It is only 3x7mm bolts to remove.
The main trick is to get the booster as far away as possible.

Aslo my assembly was a bit different comparing the pictures and I had for example different clips on the plungers.
I do have a European version...

Last edited:
OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Yeah, to get the bracket out, you need to pull the brake booster towards the front of the car. Either have someone help you, or use a bungee cord. That gives you enough space to clear the studs.

misterMKiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yeah, I hope that I do not!

If anyone has this issue and has questions about how to get the pedals out, let me know.
I realize this is an old thread, but I have massive clutch squeak now and fear it's the same problem with the weld point that you had.

Looking at the removal procedure, did you have drain the brake fluid reservoir and disconnect the clutch master cylinder tube before you started any work in the footwell area? Or can I just start with the clip at the plunger rod you mention earlier in this feed. Thanks for any help in advance.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.11.24 PM.png

OrangeCrush5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I realize this is an old thread, but I have massive clutch squeak now and fear it's the same problem with the weld point that you had.

Looking at the removal procedure, did you have drain the brake fluid reservoir and disconnect the clutch master cylinder tube before you started any work in the footwell area? Or can I just start with the clip at the plunger rod you mention earlier in this feed. Thanks for any help in advance.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.11.24 PM.png
You do not need to drain it. If you have any other questions let me know, I’ll keep an eye on the thread. Good luck!
Sponsored