Sponsored

Clunking Noise coming while turning the wheel

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have been following this thread as well and I think I have the same low speed clunk. It sounds like most of these issues can be traced back to bad strut mounts. Would Ford ever put out a recall for this problem or does it have to exceed a certain number of cars before they'll do it?
Sponsored

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have been following this thread as well and I think I have the same low speed clunk. It sounds like most of these issues can be traced back to bad strut mounts. Would Ford ever put out a recall for this problem or does it have to exceed a certain number of cars before they'll do it?
Is there a process to force ford into considering a recall? I'd be happy to work on it

GSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Thank you, Galpin Ford did put chassis ear and determined it was strut mounts. I have an appt again this Friday, I will bring up your points. Thanks for the insight I will definitely consider lemon law if they can get me into a new one that would be pretty dope!
Keep reporting please!

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Update as of 2/18: after one week of trying to diagnose, the dealership called saying they could not replicate the noise. I drove it home, no issues no noise. Sure enough later in the day, driving for some stuff I heard the noise and immediately drove over to the dealership, got there right in time before they closed. The service advisor was very helpful and immediately got a tech to take a look at it who concluded it is not coming from strut mount/bearing although it seems like it. So Galpin replaced all the parts for nothing I guess. It does seem to be coming from somewhere around the mount, possibly the either the black or silver brace or body itself. I have now set an appointment to drop the car back off on Tuesday, hopefully it will be making that noise when I take it to them and they are willing to drop everything and immediately diagnose it since it is so elusive. If this problem isn't resolved after this, I'm not sure what I wanna do. Definitely don't want to hold a car that may have ghost problems that would only get worse with time. I love the car a lot and don't want to get rid of it. Maybe I might consider lemon or contact ford to see if they would simply replace the car. Don't even know if it's possible. Never dealt with anything like this before.

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
mAki,
Did you go for a test drive with the tech? In my case I did a few times and was always able to replicate the noise understanding I knew where it could be replicated best under certain conditions. I also sent the dealer some videos. Did you mention to them about a possible bad weld? If so what did they say?

Fyi, my issue started after the dealer installed an OEM strut brace which may have created a stress, pulled a weld(s) in that area that may have been weak in the first place, not sure.

I would escalate your situation now through Ford Customer Service and have them put a dedicated CSR on it and keep on that individual based on their commitments to you and in doing this stay polite and respectful but make it clear they need to resolve your issue.

It sounds like your dealer has exhausted the fixes so I would not be surprised if the CSR recommends sending an area rep/engineer to the dealership to review the case and your car in relatively short order. Prior to contacting the CSR prepare a diary of all your conversations and visits and log all the attempted fixes for reference. At this point I would not concern yourself with what the dealer thinks of your approach. It is your car and you are within your right to want it fixed.

In my case, through the CSR it got to the point where they brought the local area rep in and an engineer as mentioned earlier and the conclusion of the bad weld was made. When I heard this my heart sunk and I was shocked but considering they had rebuilt the front end of my car this all suddenly made sense.

Your other option as long as you are within the guidelines to do so (number of visits, length of time at the dealership, etc) is to lemon law it.

Interestingly, I knew a guy that had a 3 series BMW with a similar issue and BMW replaced the car. Perhaps this is more common than car manufacturers want us to think. Robots can have bad days I guess.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Update as of 2/18: after one week of trying to diagnose, the dealership called saying they could not replicate the noise. I drove it home, no issues no noise. Sure enough later in the day, driving for some stuff I heard the noise and immediately drove over to the dealership, got there right in time before they closed. The service advisor was very helpful and immediately got a tech to take a look at it who concluded it is not coming from strut mount/bearing although it seems like it. So Galpin replaced all the parts for nothing I guess. It does seem to be coming from somewhere around the mount, possibly the either the black or silver brace or body itself. I have now set an appointment to drop the car back off on Tuesday, hopefully it will be making that noise when I take it to them and they are willing to drop everything and immediately diagnose it since it is so elusive. If this problem isn't resolved after this, I'm not sure what I wanna do. Definitely don't want to hold a car that may have ghost problems that would only get worse with time. I love the car a lot and don't want to get rid of it. Maybe I might consider lemon or contact ford to see if they would simply replace the car. Don't even know if it's possible. Never dealt with anything like this before.
So I went a couple of days without the noise, this happens it seems like after a particularly humid or rainy night - then today it was back - but minor in both sound and vibration. It almost sounded as though a tire could be rubbing the inner fender well. That's something I had previously never given consideration to. It's a bitch trying to look or feel around the fender well without raising the wheel off the ground. I've got 20-inch tires and wonder if anyone else may have experienced a minor rubbing? It's completely stock - no revisions! So I will continue to wait I guess until I get back to my home dealer. Appreciate all comments here!

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
mAki,
Did you go for a test drive with the tech? In my case I did a few times and was always able to replicate the noise understanding I knew where it could be replicated best under certain conditions. I also sent the dealer some videos. Did you mention to them about a possible bad weld? If so what did they say?

Fyi, my issue started after the dealer installed an OEM strut brace which may have created a stress, pulled a weld(s) in that area that may have been weak in the first place, not sure.

I would escalate your situation now through Ford Customer Service and have them put a dedicated CSR on it and keep on that individual based on their commitments to you and in doing this stay polite and respectful but make it clear they need to resolve your issue.

It sounds like your dealer has exhausted the fixes so I would not be surprised if the CSR recommends sending an area rep/engineer to the dealership to review the case and your car in relatively short order. Prior to contacting the CSR prepare a diary of all your conversations and visits and log all the attempted fixes for reference. At this point I would not concern yourself with what the dealer thinks of your approach. It is your car and you are within your right to want it fixed.

In my case, through the CSR it got to the point where they brought the local area rep in and an engineer as mentioned earlier and the conclusion of the bad weld was made. When I heard this my heart sunk and I was shocked but considering they had rebuilt the front end of my car this all suddenly made sense.

Your other option as long as you are within the guidelines to do so (number of visits, length of time at the dealership, etc) is to lemon law it.

Interestingly, I knew a guy that had a 3 series BMW with a similar issue and BMW replaced the car. Perhaps this is more common than car manufacturers want us to think. Robots can have bad days I guess.
I tried going on drives with the tech to replicate it when they had the car and it wasn't making that noise. I've noticed it makes it more on hotter days and it has been cold lately.
I will pull out all the conversations and start keeping a record of it all prior to contacting ford csr. I don't want to lemon it and get it fixed if I can. I love the car too much lol

8GTOKLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 DHG Bullitt
Just picked up my Bullitt and it does the same clunk when pulling into garage. All stock 4,800 miles on the car. Sharp turn and steering wheel at full lock.

I tried going on drives with the tech to replicate it when they had the car and it wasn't making that noise. I've noticed it makes it more on hotter days and it has been cold lately.
I will pull out all the conversations and start keeping a record of it all prior to contacting ford csr. I don't want to lemon it and get it fixed if I can. I love the car too much lol
Maki did Galpin replace the steering tie rods?

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just picked up my Bullitt and it does the same clunk when pulling into garage. All stock 4,800 miles on the car. Sharp turn and steering wheel at full lock.

Maki did Galpin replace the steering tie rods?
No they replaced the strut mounts spring plates and the hex nuts

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
When you guys are talking about a clunk, is it very loud? And can you feel it through the steering wheel? I have what I would call a clicking noise when I turn sharp to the right. It doesn't happen all the time. The noise is not very loud and I cannot feel it through the steering wheel. I'm wondering if it's the same as what you guys are talking about.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
When you guys are talking about a clunk, is it very loud? And can you feel it through the steering wheel? I have what I would call a clicking noise when I turn sharp to the right. It doesn't happen all the time. The noise is not very loud and I cannot feel it through the steering wheel. I'm wondering if it's the same as what you guys are talking about.
I can feel it slightly in the wheel, it is a clicking that happens when you are turning sharp at slow speeds. Per my observation it happens only when the car is warmed up. The car is going back to the dealer tomorrow. They suspect it has more to do with the strut brace rather than the strut components itself.

8GTOKLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 DHG Bullitt
For me it feels like its coming from the wheel area out front. Its not loud, it is a clicking pop sound almost a binding feeling

GSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I can feel it slightly in the wheel, it is a clicking that happens when you are turning sharp at slow speeds. Per my observation it happens only when the car is warmed up. The car is going back to the dealer tomorrow. They suspect it has more to do with the strut brace rather than the strut components itself.
Unlike Makl - my noise is when the car is first started and it is not a click but more of a "whoompf whoompf" sound and at the same time there is noticeable vibration in the steering wheel and accelerator pedal when turning or backing at extremes both left and right at less than 10mph. No noise or vibration when speeding up straight. Noise seems like it is coming from the right front strut area.

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I'll try to record a video and post it
Unlike Makl - my noise is when the car is first started and it is not a click but more of a "whoompf whoompf" sound and at the same time there is noticeable vibration in the steering wheel and accelerator pedal when turning or backing at extremes both left and right at less than 10mph. No noise or vibration when speeding up straight. Noise seems like it is coming from the right front strut area.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
For me it feels like its coming from the wheel area out front. Its not loud, it is a clicking pop sound almost a binding feeling
This is what I would describe mine as. If I drive in circles it stops doing it. I have checked my suspension and everything looks good, don't know about the top strut though. I also took the wheel off and torqued to 150 lb ft torque. I wonder about the sway bar mounts but they looked ok.
2000 miles on mine is all
Sponsored